Skip to main content
Topic: Remodeling my LD (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Remodeling my LD
Yahoo Message Number: 136798
Good morning all! Over the next few months, I'll be giving my 2001 26RB a facelift. I'll be replacing the peel-and-stick linoleum floors, carpets, and upholstery. I'm planning on doing the floors with a laminate hardwood, but I would love any advice from those of you who have done this before. Any tips or suggestions of material, procedures, etc?
 I would also love to do something with my cabinets, but I'm not entirely sure what I would do. Has anyone painted theirs and loved the results? The problem is that in a few places, the stick-on texture/coloring has peeled away, and I've had no success fixing it. Any tips or pointers here would be appreciated also.
 Thanks in advance for your replies. No sense in making mistakes that someone else may have already learned from.

Tyler F 2001 26RB

Remodeling my LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136799
I don't know what you mean by 'stick-on' - I thought LD cabinets were solid oak, not veneer.

Re: Remodeling my LD
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136800
-- "Regan"  wrote: I don't know what you mean by 'stick-on' - I thought LD cabinets were solid oak, not veneer.
--- "Solid oak" cabinetry is *heavy* and pricey, and, AFAIK, has never been used by Lazy Daze. The cabinet and drawer materials in my 2003 (and I believe that the same holds true for all years and models, including the current ones) have cabinet shelves/interiors that are "wood", i.e., probably plywood or possibly strandboard but not particle board, the *trim* on the drawer fronts and cabinet doors is real wood of some type, but the drawer bodies are some kind of laminate; it appears to be a dense particle board covered with a white matte vinyl surface.  The fronts of the cabinets and drawers (with the exception of the trim pieces) are a thin plywood with a sort-of-oaky-looking grain vinyl covering (and/or "cherry" as an alternate choice in later models).

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136801
You're right, Joan. In my 2001, my cabinets are plywood with a vinyl covering that gives it the appearance and texture of a real hardwood. The original owner (we're the second owners of our LD) made the mistake of putting several gadgets and notepads on the cabinets with double-sided mounting tape. Upon purchasing our LD, I made the dumb mistake of pulling one of these off, and off came the vinyl with it. Bummer!
 I've tried several solutions, but haven't discovered a good one yet. So we've considered painting them, but I'm hesitant. We've considered purchasing an actual maple veneer to recover the cabinets, but that would be far more work and money than I'm ready to take on...

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136802
I've tried several solutions, but haven't discovered a good one yet. So we've considered painting them, but I'm hesitant. We've considered purchasing an actual maple veneer to recover the cabinets, but that would be far more work and money than I'm ready to take on...
I wonder if LD stock these cabinet fronts.  Might be easier just to replace them.  Might be worth a call.

Joe Hamm

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136803
You asked about who may have put in wood laminate and painted cabinets...if you go to the LWALDRV home page and click on photo albums and then drill down to "Ciao Baby"...Tessa Hill (teresadhill) has made those very changes to her '92 MB. She's posted 59 photos in that album. She's also posted other albums which you might find interesting, as well.

TinaP 2006 MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136804
"I've tried several solutions, but haven't discovered a good one yet. So we've considered painting them, but I'm hesitant."
 Check out how Andy recovered Gertie's cabinet door panels with plastic contact paper. It made a huge difference and will cover damaged veneer.
 Just be glad you do not own a newer LD with the cherry wood veneer, it can be scraped off with a fingernail. I'm very hesitant to work on them due to the ease of damage and not having a good way to repair it.
 The veneer can be painted if prepped correctly. There are paints made for plastic or use a good undercoat made for plastics and then use your favorite water-base gloss, semi-gloss or satin top coat.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136810
"The original owner... made the mistake of putting several gadgets and notepads on the cabinets with double-sided mounting tape. Upon purchasing our LD, I made the dumb mistake of pulling one of these off, and off came the vinyl with it."
 This may not be the answer you want, but the easiest fix would be to cover up the scars by putting up something else where those notepads and gadgets were. :-)
 The second easiest, as Larry mentioned, is to cover the doors with self-adhesive Con-Tact film.

See photos here...
 http://www.andybaird.com/Eureka/pages/living.htm#lighten-up

...and application tips here:
 http://www.andybaird.com/Eureka/pages/con-tact.htm

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"