Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Mechanical Work on 1989 Lazy Daze 460 (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford Mechanical Work on 1989 Lazy Daze 460
Yahoo Message Number: 136696
I recently purchased a used 1989 Lazy Daze. I have an Idle problem that stalls periodically. I have talked with some Ford dealers that do not work on older models. Also one Ford dealer contacted said Ford doesn't have/make the part for the 1989 Idle Control and they don't install after market parts. And one dealer said they can't computer/diagnose this model. I have worked with an independent mechanic who can't fix this problem.
 I see a lot of older motor home Ford 460's on the road. They must be getting diagnosed and repaired. So what am I missing here? Have I just not made enough calls?

Re: Ford Mechanical Work on 1989 Lazy Daze 460
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136699
Keep looking. Parts are still available.
Rock Auto list a STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # AC20T T-Series; Direct OE Replacement; Gasket Included  $36.99 http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php

Go to FORD, 1989,  E450, 7.5L 460 engine, fuel/air,  click "idle air control".

Find an older mechanic or shop who has actually worked one of these antiques, younger guys may not know nuch about them.
Have the exhaust manifold checked for cracks, warping or broken bolts, all common with the 460s.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Ford Mechanical Work on 1989 Lazy Daze 460
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136701
Jim,
 Larry makes good points.  I would also start with a tune-up (change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, etc.) It could also be your fuel pump too, a very common failure on the pre-'96 models.  Another item is vacuum hoses, check or replace them all if they look old.  Check to see if the recommended service items have been replaced.  I know there are a couple of emission items that I replaced on my '91at 60k or 75k miles.

Good luck,

-Victor

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]