Skip to main content
Topic: Should a 2004 RB return to Mothership for preventative maintenance? (Read 25 times) previous topic - next topic
Should a 2004 RB return to Mothership for preventative maintenance?
Yahoo Message Number: 136636
Our 2004 RB has never returned to the mothership.  We will be in the Montclair area within the next month or so.  Would it be wise to stop and pay for a thorough inspection?
 Background.  When not in use, it has been stored indoors its entire life.  Odometer reads 29,000.  Operated exclusively in the Chicago/Wisconsin area (2004-2007, 0-14k miles, including initial drive from Montclair) and the Pacific NW (2007-present, 14k-29k odometer).
Generally short trips (two weeks or less) except one 6-week and one 11-week trip to British Columbia.  Never used in winter.
 Possible needs: 1) side panel on driver's side is separating from the vertical wrap-around-caps (fore and aft) secured by widely-spaced phillips screws; 2) Approaching 10 years--should roof be resealed?; 3) Anything else?
 It is my impression from reports on this site that LD's labor rates are very high and that repairs can generally be accomplished at less cost by a trustworthy shop at home.  If true, are there some things best left to LD, if one is in the Montclair area, or can any competent shop do all repairs and maintenance?  Thanks--Ted

Re: Should a 2004 RB return to Mothership for preventative maintenan
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136639
I have been unlucky enough (or careless enough) to have body damage done to my 2005 MB several times.  I have talked with a couple of RV repair places about doing the repairs but all declined because of LD's unique aluminum panels and the type of paint on them.  Fiberglass body work they would do on most any rig.  Personally I didn't feel that LD's rates were too high, but I haven't had them do any work for a couple of years.  Their rates were no higher than the RV service rates at my local Ford dealer.

Doug

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136661
Doug--Thanks for taking the time to respond with your helpful input.  I spoke with Vince this morning and decided to make an appointment to have the separating side panels rebonded

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136663
Group I have hail damage on my 31IB and the roof aluminum is starting to separate i will be turning

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136664
John Boyd  wrote: would like to know from the group the approximate cost and time to have the roof skin repaired or replaced? --- Your best answer to this would come from the factory, but I doubt that they would be able (or willing) to offer an estimate without assessing the damage. 909-627-1103

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136665
"would like to know from the group the approximate cost and time to have the roof skin repaired or replaced? Provide there is no structural issues"

Johnny B and Pau

No way of knowing without seeing it. How about some photos?
 Does the roof seams just need resealing or are there holes in the roof. What happened to the hatches? Dents in the sheet metal usually will not cause problems. Small holes can be repaired with Eternabond Tape and/or sheet metal patches and sealant.
Replacing the entire roof is a huge project and will cost many thousands, it's the last resort repair.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136670
I'm not sure what you mean by 'starting to separate' but my LD was in a hail storm before I owned it.  The result (based on what I was told) was a cracked A/C cover and a number of divots in the Aluminum.
 After going over the options, the previous owner opted to have a self leveling rubber RV roof compound spread over the roof.  This leveled the holes and resulted in a decent finished look.
 The only real downside comes if you want to stick something to the roof (eternabond, solar panels, etc..).  You have to clean a small area.  I've done this with a plastic putty knife - it's not hard.
 Looking back, I think it was a reasonable solution.  The alternative was to have the roof replaced.  Insurance would have paid (from what I was told), but my experience with mechanical things is that they're never quite the same after such a massive project.
 If the AL skin wasn't compromised, I'd look into leveling the divots and doing your best to forget it ever happened.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136672
"If the AL skin wasn't compromised, I'd look into leveling the divots and doing your best to forget it ever happened."
 My feeling: why even bother to do that? If this kind of hail damage---dimples, but no penetrations--happened to my rig, I'd leave it alone rather than glop it up with rubber-roof compound. Hopefully nobody's going to judge me by the appearance of a few dents in my rig's roof... and a bad roof repair is worse than none at all. Just my two cents' worth. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 136675
Why do we do anything cosmetic to our rigs?  Why do we enjoy a multi-color paint job, or tire covers, or chrome trim, or decals?
 The divots would collect small pools of water, and in turn collect dirt.  I imagine a roof covered with small dirt dots, which would bug me.  Why?  I'm not sure.  But it would! - even on the roof.
 Rubber goop is probably a misnomer.  It's more like a thin layer of off-white no-skid coating.

Rich ...now pondering how much painting and waxing could be saved with a 100% generic white paint job......
2003 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 136679
"Why do we do anything cosmetic to our rigs? Why do we enjoy a multi-color paint job, or tire covers, or chrome trim, or decals? The divots would collect small pools of water, and in turn collect dirt. I imagine a roof covered with small dirt dots, which would bug me. Why? I'm not sure. But it would! - even on the roof."

If small dents on the roof bothers you, go ahead and spend the many thousands of dollar to replace the roof. The roof is a utility area, not ever seen unless one goes on top.
Covering it with a rubber coating will do little to enhance the looks or utility while making it difficult to perform future repairs. . Rubber trailer roof coating is very difficult to removed if work is needed. I see no value in using the stuff, it isn't a good or long lasting sealant, when compared to polyurethane and Eternabond tape.
 I can't tell you how many LDs I have seen with hail damage(dented roofs). The small amount of water the dents hold is irrelevant to the overall long-term durability of the rig. I would be more concerned with the large amount of water that build up and sits in the dip when the roof A/C is running...every heard of Lake Newton? Does the dip in roof bother you? Maybe it should.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 136680
Lake Newton ! That must be the one on the roof right above the driver on my MB, same location on my FL so it must have been a design feature ,

Dave W, waiting out the rain in Livingston
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 136682
"Lake Newton ! That must be the one on the roof right above the driver on my MB, same location on my FL so it must have been a design feature"

Dave
 The dip is standard and enables you to shower while dropping your LD of its leveling blocks.
Make sure to leave the driver's door open for full effect.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 136684
"Larry"  wrote: The dip is standard and enables you to shower while dropping your LD of its leveling blocks. Make sure to leave the driver's door open for full effect.
--- Leaving the driver's side window down also offers a wonderful opportunity to experience the cascade; the amount of water that can collect in that depression is amazing!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 136685
For maximum family fun, be sure to have the co-pilot bent over close by to retrieve the blocks while the pilot has the window open. A forward roll makes it super fun!

TinaP 2006 MB Been there too many times to be any longer considered intelligent

-

"Lake Newton ! That must be the one on the roof right above the driver on my MB, same location on my FL so it must have been a design feature"

Dave

The dip is standard and enables you to shower while dropping your LD of its leveling blocks.

Make sure to leave the driver's door open for full effect.

Larry

2006 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 136686
Lake Newton ! That must be the one on the roof right above the driver on my MB, same location on my FL so it must have been a design feature ,
When I Eternabonded my '00 then my '08, I put a double wide strip in the area where the lake forms. Standing water is water looking for a place to leak.

ed

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 136690
Our LD got caught in a hail storm with hail the size of your fist.  It destroyed the AC cover, knocked the outside light off etc and left impressive dimples in the aluminum roof.
 I called the mothership and they gave me the same advice as you did Andy.  They also said to look and see if there were any cracks or penetration of the roof (which they doubted)and we didn't.
 This happened 8 years ago and the only problem we have found is dirt likes to pool in the dimples but is easily washed away.

Terry R 2003 TK
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 136691

"Our LD got caught in a hail storm with hail the size of your fist... This happened 8 years ago..."
Terry

Was that perhaps the storm that hit Fredericksburg Texas?? I remember reading about some LD folks that went through that! Under certain conditions Texas can come up with super sized hail.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 136692

"Our LD got caught in a hail storm with hail the size of your fist... This happened 8 years ago..."

Terry

Was that perhaps the storm that hit Fredericksburg Texas?? I remember reading about some LD folks that went through that! Under certain conditions Texas can come up with super sized hail.
Yes Steve, that was the same hail storm.  It was bad but luckily did not have a tornado with it.

Terry
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Should a 2004 RB return to Mothership for preventative maintenan
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 136666
I had the local auto body shop do some paint work on the side of our 97 RB last fall. They did a super job! No problem matching the white paint or working on the aluminum. My Aurora has aaluminum hood, so I would imagine other cars have aluminun body panels as well. I would think a good vehicle body shop could do the work.

Chuck 97 RB Skye @ Mission, Tx.

Painting aluminum
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 136668
I don't think working or painting with aluminum is necessarily the issue. Lazy Daze uses a very high quality 2-part polyurethane paint (Cardinal) that is often used for marine applications. It's the reason why the exterior finish on LDs looks so good even after years of outdoor exposure.
 However, 2-part polyurethane paint can be lethal, which is why shops that use it have to invest quite a bit of money into proper ventilation and personal protection equipment. Here's a short blurb from the CDC regarding the dangers of isocyanates ie 'hardeners':

Isocyanates are a family of highly reactive, low molecular weight chemicals. They are widely used in the manufacture of flexible and rigid foams, fibers, coatings such as paints and varnishes, and elastomers, and are increasingly used in the automobile industry, autobody repair, and building insulation materials. Spray-on polyurethane products containing isocyanates have been developed for a wide range of retail, commercial, and industrial uses to protect cement, wood, fiberglass, steel and aluminum, including protective coatings for truck beds, trailers, boats, foundations, and decks.
 Isocyanates are powerful irritants to the mucous membranes of the eyes and gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts. Direct skin contact can also cause marked inflammation. Isocyanates can also sensitize workers, making them subject to severe asthma attacks if they are exposed again. Death from severe asthma in some sensitized subjects has been reported. Workers potentially exposed to isocyanates who experience persistent or recurring eye irritation, nasal congestion, dry or sore throat, cold-like symptoms, cough, shortness of breath, wheezing, or chest tightness should see a physician knowledgeable in work-related health problems.
 Preventing exposure to isocyanates is a critical step in eliminating the health hazard. Engineering controls such as closed systems and ventilation should be the principal method for minimizing isocyanate exposure in the workplace. Other controls, such as worker isolation and personal protective clothing and equipment may also be necessary. Early recognition of sensitization and prompt and strict elimination of exposures is essential to reduce the risk of long-term or permanent respiratory problems for workers who have become sensitized.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/isocyanates/

Re: Painting aluminum
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 136669
"However, 2-part polyurethane paint can be lethal, which is why shops that use it have to invest quite a bit of money into proper ventilation and personal protection equipment..."
Regan

Good post!
 You've hit upon one of the primary reasons (especially in a good economy) that LD production numbers are so low. They are permitted to produce only a limited number of coaches because of their paint shop. I waited seven months to take delivery of my 30'IB back in '04 because of the large number of new orders and the paint limitation.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 136687
Steve is correct, LD's paint shop is the limiting factor in their production.  Having required body work several times, I have had the opportunity to discuss it with Vince.  Even he has to "get repair work into the paint schedule" which is often the delay in getting body work done.  As I recall Vince told me that they could not enlarge the paint shop without major expense for "vapor control" and even their existing shop operates under some type of "grandfather" clause.

Doug

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 136688
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:55:13 -0800, "Doug Baker" wrote:

Having required body work several times, I have had the opportunity to discuss it with Vince. Even he has to "get repair work into the paint schedule" which is often the delay in getting body work done.
And they don't shoot all colors every day. Should you need all three colors on your rig done, it could take a week. The upside is that there is a lot to do in the area

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 136689
Are you sure volatile paint is legal to use in Calif under any conditions? I have been told (and smell - I live downwind of a autobody shop) that all VOCs were outlawed last year in CA for auto use. I have not contacted the Air Board about it however.
But since last year I have not smelled VOCs.
 If I needed a paint job in CA, I would do some research and see if you can get better paint in another state or Mexico (they use VOC paint from the US).
I think to get an accurate answer, you can call a Air Resources Board office and ask them.
 If the below info on Cardinal paint is over a year old, I would call the Mother Ship and confirm that they still use it, the story of the change over was told to me by a large autobody shop last year.

Thank god I do not have to smell isocyanate any more. It smells very sweet like candy but it felt like a hammer against the head. I just pray the people that have to use it have protection enough. This is a case where the pollution laws saves lives.

__ From: Regan beachfamilynagel@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:20 PM
 Subject: [LD] Painting aluminum

I don't think working or painting with aluminum is necessarily the issue. Lazy Daze uses a very high quality 2-part polyurethane paint (Cardinal) that is often used for marine applications. It's the reason why the exterior finish on LDs looks so good even after years of outdoor exposure.
 However, 2-part polyurethane paint can be lethal, which is why shops that use it have to invest quite a bit of money into proper ventilation and personal protection equipment. Here's a short blurb from the CDC regarding the dangers of isocyanates ie 'hardeners':

Isocyanates are a family of highly reactive, low molecular weight chemicals. They are widely used in the manufacture of flexible and rigid foams, fibers, coatings such as paints and varnishes, and elastomers, and are increasingly used in the automobile industry, autobody repair, and building insulation materials. Spray-on polyurethane products containing isocyanates have been developed for a wide range of retail, commercial, and industrial uses to protect cement, wood, fiberglass, steel and aluminum, including protective coatings for truck beds, trailers, boats, foundations, and decks.
 Isocyanates are powerful irritants to the mucous membranes of the eyes and gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts. Direct skin contact can also cause marked inflammation. Isocyanates can also sensitize workers, making them subject to severe asthma attacks if they are exposed again. Death from severe asthma in some sensitized subjects has been reported. Workers potentially exposed to isocyanates who experience persistent or recurring eye irritation, nasal congestion, dry or sore throat, cold-like symptoms, cough, shortness of breath, wheezing, or chest tightness should see a physician knowledgeable in work-related health problems.
 Preventing exposure to isocyanates is a critical step in eliminating the health hazard. Engineering controls such as closed systems and ventilation should be the principal method for minimizing isocyanate exposure in the workplace. Other controls, such as worker isolation and personal protective clothing and equipment may also be necessary. Early recognition of sensitization and prompt and strict elimination of exposures is essential to reduce the risk of long-term or permanent respiratory problems for workers who have become sensitized.