Skip to main content
Topic: Over the cab bed conversion (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Over the cab bed conversion
Yahoo Message Number: 136579
We recently purchased a 2005 26.5 IB after spending lots of time reading this forum, research, joining RV consumer group and looking at a few LDs within a 300 mi radius.  This is our first RV.  We flew from Spokane, WA to NC to look at and subsequently purchase the LD.  We spent 10 days driving back to Spokane.  By time we arrived home we were convinced we made the right decision about both LD and the floor plan.
 This is a great discussion group and thank everyone for sharing their experience and knowledge.  So far the only change we would like to make to the LD is to remove the factory installed over the cab entertainment center and convert it to a bed (grandkids).  Has anyone done this and would you share your methods? Thank you.
Coy

Re: Over the cab bed conversion
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136582
Coy, We did the opposite (sort of).  We took out the overhead cab bed and had beautiful storage cabinets made for us as full timers.
 It so happens that we saved all of the foundation and materials for the overhead bed (in our small storage locker) in Eugene, OR.  Should you want to convert over to the bed, we would be pleased to give you all of the materials free.  Just pick them up when we will be in town (May-June-July).  Let me know if you are interested.

Happy Travels and Conversions!

David Roderick

__ From: clbjek clbjek@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Friday, February 1, 2013 3:13 PM
 Subject: [LD] Over the cab bed conversion

We recently purchased a 2005 26.5 IB after spending lots of time reading this forum, research, joining RV consumer group and looking at a few LDs within a 300 mi radius.  This is our first RV.  We flew from Spokane, WA to NC to look at and subsequently purchase the LD.  We spent 10 days driving back to Spokane.  By time we arrived home we were convinced we made the right decision about both LD and the floor plan.
 This is a great discussion group and thank everyone for sharing their experience and knowledge.  So far the only change we would like to make to the LD is to remove the factory installed over the cab entertainment center and convert it to a bed (grandkids).  Has anyone done this and would you share your methods? Thank you.
Coy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136585
"So far the only change we would like to make to the LD is to remove the factory installed over the cab entertainment center and convert it to a bed..."

Coy
Before you begin to employ your crowbar I would suggest that you give the Mothership a call and ask Vince's opinion on what you propose. I can't speak for the 26/27 floor plans but LD cautions against loading that area with anything 'heavy' on the 30/31s. I got that lecture when I took delivery of my '04 30'IB. It has to do with how they are constructed.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136586
On 01.02.2013 15:13, clbjek wrote:

So far the only change we would like to make to the LD is to remove the factory installed over the cab entertainment center and convert it to a bed (grandkids). Has anyone done this and would you share your methods?
Coy.. I believe this has been asked before (check the archives) and I believe the answer from the factory was that you should not do it as the cab bed area is not structually the same for the units with the entertainment center -- meaning it might cause problems if you convert it to a bed.. Please check the archives before taking on this endeavor..