Skip to main content
Topic: Could I Just Ask..... (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Could I Just Ask.....
Yahoo Message Number: 136526
My husband and I are on our second Lazy Daze, and we love the brand. We love the reliability and the space and everything else about our rv.
 But, and I am just saying....we are getting closer to retirement and our plans include taking some long road trips, perhaps several months at a time. I am thinking that as we get closer to this retirement stage, we will buy one more rv, and, of course, Lazy Daze is #1 on our list. BUT, let's just say that you didn't buy a Lazy Daze. What would be the next brand on your list and why?

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

Re: Could I Just Ask.....
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136527
Well, I can tell you what we actually did - not what we would do.

We bought a new 2003 MB and LOVED it.
 Then I got prostate cancer (Don't feel sorry for me - it saved my life.
Moreover, I know I'll live longer because I have cancer - two flavors now ... ;o) - because I take better care of myself.)
 After the initial shock of cancer - and not yet having my eyes wide open at the gift each day is, I said, "Since we're going to continue full-timing as long as we can, and I'm going to be sick, I'd rather do it in more comfort" - and in 2005 we bought a 36ft 1997 Foretravel DP. A great machine.
 We later sold the Foretravel and bought a GREAT 1997 RB.  One day as I awoke, I turned to Kathleen and said, "We've proven we can sleep over the cab - but I'd rather not."

And we bought our 40ft 1999 Foretravel.

So I guess the take away is: If you're happy with a LD, don't get a Foretravel, they'll spoil you."

As always, YMMV.

best, paul

My husband and I are on our second Lazy Daze, and we love the brand. We love the reliability and the space and everything else about our rv.

But, and I am just saying....we are getting closer to retirement and our plans include taking some long road trips, perhaps several months at a time. I am thinking that as we get closer to this retirement stage, we will buy one more rv, and, of course, Lazy Daze is #1 on our list. BUT, let's just say that you didn't buy a Lazy Daze. What would be the next brand on your list and why?

Thanks for the input.

Kathy
--

"When you arise in the morning, think of****

what a precious privilege it is to be alive...****

to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."****

~ Marcus Aurelius

~ Marcus Aurelius

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136528

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

http://www.foretravel.com/

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136529
What we DID, when we decided that 1-we wanted to fulltime and that 2-our RK was not big enough, was to buy a Blue Bird Wanderlodge, 40'DP. Still miss all the good things about the LD, and if ever we get to the point the BB is too much for me to handle, would go back to an LD 30'. Meanwhile, for us, it is more like living in a home than in an RV. Only with the flexibility of changing our environment at will.
 I never thought I could afford a BB (ours cost over half a mil, when new in 95), but I am delighted that depreciation made it possible. And not taking a thing away from LD's still the best class C you can buy, it was just that our needs and desires changed to the point that I needed a bigger alternative. And BBs were to class As what LDs are to Class Cs, the best, the strongest, safest, longest lasting possible that you could buy.

As ever, YMMV and others will have their choices. This was ours.

Lee

BUT, let's just say that you didn't buy a Lazy Daze. What would be the next brand on your list and why?
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136530
Kathy -

If you are not constrained too much by budget, my choice would be a class A diesel pusher.  The Lazy Daze is a wonderful motorhome, but there are some things about it that I wouldn't like for long-term living.  Yes, Andy I know.  :-)   The one thing that always bugged me about the Lazy Daze or any other class C motorhome is that big over-hang above you when driving.  There is no comparison at all in upward visibility between a class A and a class
C.  It's like the difference between being at an Imax theater, and viewing
 something through a tunnel.  Have you ever driven through the California Redwoods and tried to see the trees while driving along?  We did that once when we were in a class A, and our friends were following us in a Class C.
We used our CB radio to let them know what we were seeing.  I know the die-hard LD fans will pooh-pooh that comparison, but to us it was very apparent and important to our enjoyment of the trips.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dick

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136531
Kathy: We have a 2008 31' IB Lazy Daze, and this is our fourth LD, so we're happy.  However, we have been on several lengthy RV Caravan trips with different groups.  Many of these people drive Class A rigs and spend lots of time in them.  One recommendation I heard many times was to consider Tiffin Motorcoaches if I wanted quality that would compare with LD.  I've never driven one, but I know they are both gas and diesel from 32' on up, and they are, and always have been, a family business similar to Lazy Daze.   They have a campground at their factory in Alabama and welcome your visit.   Enjoy.   Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136532
Wow, everyone who responded has gone to a Class A. Although we have looked at them (just to look), I never gave them much thought. They have always seemed so big. But, something I will think about. Maybe even a smaller Class A.
 Thanks for the responses. Please keep responding. If we are going to do this, we want to get the rv right the first time.

Kathy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136533
Wow, everyone who responded has gone to a Class A. Although we have looked at them (just to look), I never gave them much thought. They have always seemed so big. But, something I will think about. Maybe even a smaller Class A.
I think folks assumed you were implying you would want more room, and thus the class-A. If that is not the issue, then unfortunately I think you'll find few recommendations among class-C models, if you are simply looking for different features. Other class-C brands are usually poorly designed and/or assembled with inferior materials, or they are ergonomically inferior. As far as size, class-C models larger than the LD 31' models are simply pushing the safety envelope too far.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 136534
Kathy,
 My husband and I are looking at buying an SOB, namely the Arctic Fox 32A which comes with two slides.
 Our reasons are that we need to feel like it is a home on wheels.  We need more space to live in comfortably during our full-time RVing adventure which will take us all over the USA.  We also wanted it to be able to handle our belongings so we could take the stuff that matters to us individually.  We also found that one of us (me, of course) doesn't have normal bedtime hours.  Being a writer sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night with a muse for a potential books.  Then there are the times when one of us wants to take a nap and the other wants to watch TV without disturbing the other RVer.
 So we needed to separate our areas a bit to allow for those times.  I also felt that the Arctic Fox would be wonderful when we are wintering as it has a thicker insulation that protects us from the cold if we got caught in a cold snap somewhere.
 Those are my thoughts on the matter; however, my husband may have his own 2 cents worth to toss in as well.

Sincerely, Donna of the Lazy Daizy, Vaughn, WA and author,
D. G. Smeall

"Books are my people, and people are my friends."

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 136535

Thanks for the responses. Please keep responding. If we are going to do this, we want to get the rv right the first time.

Kathy

Two better-made Class Cs that come to mind are Born Free and Champion Platinum. Here's a list of Class Cs. Let the research begin!. http://changingears.com/rv-sec-manufacturers-type-c.shtml>

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 136536
Steve,
 The thing is, I want to keep an open mind. The first rv that comes to mind when I think of travel is a Lazy Daze. However, I want to be sure. I have even thought about toyhaulers, so that we could make an rv more of our own with the extra, empty space.

Kathy

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 136537
Well, if you want to winter in your RV then consider an RV with an Aqua-hot.
 Insulation is one thing. But heater options is another. And saving fuel another.
 Our AH runs on diesel or electric (DC).  It's basically a hot water heater (fans blowing over radiators at floor level).
 I can heat the bedroom only. Or the bath only. Or the kitchen / living room only. Or all three. Or any two.

Heating the bath also heats the storage areas below.
 On another topic, I still, after 4 motor homes, have not found a real NEED for slide outs. OTOH, they'd be a MUST if I gave dancing lessons ;o)

best, paul

~ Marcus Aurelius

So we needed to separate our areas a bit to allow for those times. I also felt that the Arctic Fox would be wonderful when we are wintering as it has a thicker insulation that protects us from the cold if we got caught in a cold snap somewhere.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 136538
Gale,
 Funny, but I never gave much thought to a 31'. We couldn't have one right now, because we wouldn't have the space to park it, but that shouldn't be a problem when we retire, since we plan to also move.

Thanks for the input.
Kathy

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 136540
Well we had a smaller Class A and they are small. There is a reason class A's. are big. They need to be they lose a lot to Ass C's in space use age. Ours worked for us for trips of 5 weeks or so but it was really tight and we didn't have a table.
Sent from Garry's iPhone

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 136541
Great question Kathy.
 I just spent a week at Quartzite with about 20 or more Lazy Daze vehicles of all shapes and sizes.  We had people there who had been living in large 5th Wheels and Class As at one time who now switched to a Lazy Daze as full-timers.  One couple even switched to a 24 foot TK as full timers because of the ease of driving and going whereever they wished...with or without a tow vehicle.  On the other hand, a good friend of ours just bought a new Class A during the festival at Quartzite last week after years of part-timing with a Class C.
 I often heard the saying that the average RVer owns seven different RVs in his/her lifetime.
 It seems that all RVs are a compromise.  My wife and I have full timed now for six years (now in our mid-seventies). The longer we stay with our LD MB (1998), the more we love it because we can go anywhere.  We also have a Honda CRV which allows complete flexibility. Every time we drive into a luxury RV Park we get a glimmer of "Gee, wouldn't it be great to have a 38 foot Motorhome, Class A?"  For us, the answer has always come down to...will it really enhance the lifestyle that we choose.  Since we love to kayak, bicycle, hike, fish, and boondock in the great outdoors, the answer always comes back to the Lazy Daze.  For those who wish more of a luxury home setting moving from one RV Park to another, the class A could be a great fit.

Hope this helps!

David and Nola

__ From: kathymd31 m1e3m10@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:29 PM
 Subject: Re: [LD] Could I Just Ask.....

Kathy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 136542
I love LDs, tried to buy a 30IB, and ferried one coast to coast for an owner for expenses. However, we're on our second Tiffin diesel pusher. First was a 35ft single-slide Allegro Bus on which we put 50k miles owned '06-'09, and our current '07 Phaeton 40 ft, four-slide, owned since '09. As should be obvious, a big honkin' pusher just suits our "needs" better and should you go that route, more slides equals better. Trust me on that one.
Tiffin makes a nifty 28 and 32 ft "baby" pusher, the Allegro Breeze, that is very popular and gets 12-14mpg, owners claim. Check the company website.
IMHO, Tiffin, Newmar and American Coach are generally good products with active support groups. If you ever want to talk about such things ad nauseam, contact me privately.
I understand and appreciate the distinctives of LD and it would be my choice in class Cs. A big pusher is just a different experience; some like that, some don't. Is this a great country or what??

Gary Allen 2007 Phaeton 40 QDH / Freightliner / C7 Cat Williamsburg Va "Life in the Bus Lane"

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 136543
"The one thing that always bugged me about the Lazy Daze or any other class C motorhome is that big over-hang above you when driving. It's like the difference between being at an Imax theater, and viewing something through a tunnel."
 It's true that the upward view from the driver's seat of a class A is much better. If I were driving every day, that would matter to me. But as a full-timer, the time I spend in the driver's seat amounts to about half a day out of every two or three three weeks. I don't need a panoramic view in the cab any more than I need one in the bathroom--less, in fact. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 136545
We had the same issue about a year ago. We've had three VW conversions, a 36' sailboat and two LDs (17' & 26' MB). We loved them all especially the Mid Bath. A couple of years ago we looked very hard a Steve's Kodiak LD and were intrigued. We were looking for a rig where the bed (not the cab over) could be left made up at all times and one that had more carrying capacity. The Kodiak with the island bed would have done the job but the timing was not right and we had to pass. Last year at an local RV show we looked at what was available in a small class A. We've looked before and have not been impressed with the workmanship especially after owning 2 LDs. We did find a floorplan that did catch our attention. After a trip to the SOBs factory we became more intrigued. Last April we made the jump. We gave up our beloved 26' mid bath diesel for a 33' Bounder Class A. We love the extra room the two slides provide and of course the 22000 # carrying capacity.
 Yes Andy... It is made by Fleetwood. But there have been lot's of changes since the company consolidated. Our purchase has not been without some issues but Fleetwood has been quick to respond and at this point we're very happy. I do miss my 7.3 PowerStroke diesel but I'm learning to live with the Ford V-10 gasser.
 There are trade offs with a class A to be sure but the living comfort for long trips on the road can't be beat. The Kodiak would have worked for us but unfortunately only 3 were produced and at a premium price.
 We loved our LDs and appreciated the support the factory gave us over the years. If we decide to down-size it will probably be back to another LD.
 What we miss most is the camaraderie of all the other LD owners. Great friends all. Our local Great Lakes LD group still welcomes us to their get-togethers as SOBs  (We park on the fringes to not be too obvious).
 So Kathy... Do some serious shopping and driving. Visit the factories as we did with our LDs; ask questions and look behind the cabinets and under the rig for construction quality. There are some Class As in the 30 ft range that may do the job for you.

Happy Trails Ron in Ohio formerly a red 26' MB diesel owner (2000)

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 136546
On 31.01.2013 15:13,

My husband and I are looking at buying an SOB, namely the Arctic Fox 32A which comes with two slides.
If you're getting a Artic Fox trailer or otherwise, please check how the quality is on them.. We had a 2001 Nash and started having quality problems within 1 year and the factory basically told us we were on our own unless we wanted to drive it up to Oregon for them to assess the issues and pay some $$..

I had done a fair amount of research but feel like we made a bad decision aftwards.. In our case we had major issues with the caulking job done on various parts of the trailer we had -- leaks, separation of caulking since they used at least two different types.. Perhaps an isolated case but I believe that LD's are much higher quality after having that trailer for a handful of years.. I'll also never have another trailer/rv that has a rubber roof..  Too many chances to rip it leading to an expensive repair.  YMMV!

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 136547
It's a "Coach House Platinum", we travel frequently with friends who have one. The body is fantastic structurally, but rounded in shape so you loose space. The cacti nets are partial board, and his...in an '03, are falling apart. Wouldn't have one. Now Born Free...great motor homes, also a little more round, and a LOT more $$$ than a equal LD.

Dave W, about ready to get out of Livingston for a while !
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 136550
Like Paul Smith, I can tell you what we did under similar circumstances . . .

We started out with two different Volkswagen campers in the 80's, and in 1991, we graduated to a 1985 TK - you know her as Andy's famous Gertie!  We kept her until Andy became her proud owner in 2001.  We had used her mostly as a vacation vehicle, but sneaked in two three-month sojourns.
 In 2001, we were going fulltime and had the opportunity to buy a 1999 40-foot Mountain Aire from a friend at a "steal of a price".  So Francine became our home.  We loved her, and expected to full time in her for at least twenty years.
 But . . . also like Paul, cancer struck, and my husband was no longer able to handle the large rig, so in early 2009, we re-Lazy Dazed ourselves back into a 2005 26-foot Rear Bath.  We've been on several three-month trips in it and are very comfortable.  But could we fulltime in it?  Probably not.  But that is most likely due to our perceived need to carry waaaay toooo many items along with us on any given trip.  It doesn't seem to be proportionate to length of time out; we just require a lot of toys to play with.  Those with fewer needs could probably do quite well.
 From what I have read of others' experiences with Foretravel, that would probably be my first choice if going back into a large diesel pusher, with the Mountain Aire following closely behind.  I know nothing of Allegro except that their main reputation is for excellent customer service with repairs.  Bluebirds and Newells . . . well, what can I say.  No personal experience, but presume either would also fill the bill for quality.
 But all that said, I would add that even though we had and enjoyed the sturdiness of a heavy diesel pusher, it would surely depend on the type of RV'ing I planned to do that would determine my choice.  When we were fulltiming, we felt a lot more constrained by the size of Francine.  Often we would walk around a campground and look at the sites, thinking about the hassle it had been to shoehorn ourselves into a given site, and how much more easily a Lazy Daze could have been berthed.
 So, like almost everything in life, there are trade offs.  We were happy in Gertie; we were happy in Francine; and we are now happy in Dorrie Anne!  So it's a very personal thing.  It is good to get the stories from others, and then overlay that on your own thoughts, feelings, needs, and circumstances and come to your best conclusion.

Best of luck!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com/

Today:  The Mushroom and the Snail

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 136551
"If we are going to do this, we want to get the rv right the first time."
 The best way to do that is to get the RV Consumer Group's ratings guide and look up any rig that you're considering buying. This is the only authoritative, unbiased, noncommercial source of comparison information on RVs. Read the RVCG ratings carefully before buying anything, and you won't end up with a shoddy product (which describes at least 80% of the RVs on the market).

Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 136552
Good suggestion, Andy.

Another idea was pointed out by a lurker on the Foreforum (for Foretravelers).
 They pointed out they looked at the forum of users for each RV brand.

They found few Foretravel owners regretted their choice.  (BTW, Foretravellers are just as much a cult as LD owners are).

And found many other brands had owners who regretted their choice.
 Last week in Quartzsire I met a Foretravel owner who has owned Foretravels for 40 years. A total of 2 FTs. The new one is a 1991 version.  This owner told us he was in the "Battle of the Bulge" You can see his picture by paging down a bit on this page:

http://lazydazers.com/index.cfm?fa=ShowItem&ID=3270>

It was an honor to meet him ...

best, paul

~ Marcus Aurelius

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 136556
Thank you all again for the replies. We have a great rv dealer near us and when they have an open house in the spring, my husband and I always go and look. But, we always find ourselves saying, "The LD has waaaay more space. And, look at the poor construction on this or that."
 And, so, I don't want our prejudice towards a Lazy Daze to cause us to miss something that might be a better fit.
 We have a 27' RB right now, which has been great for us up to now. I am thinking that for retirement, a MB might suit us better.

Glad we have a few years to decide.

Thanks again, Kathy