Skip to main content
Topic: 1982 hitch question (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
1982 hitch question
Yahoo Message Number: 136508
Our 1982 22' LD has a hitch on it which I assumed came with it but yesterday when I called they said that it didn't come with a hitch so this must have been added on.
 It looks sturdy with the square channel welded to the frame and two cross pieces fore and aft welded also but I have no idea what it would carry. I'm thinking of buying one of these cargo carriers from Harbor Freight: http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Carrier-Basket-ALUMCARGOCARRIER-92655/dp/B0041MVALG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm not going to load it up with heavy items but it would be handy for my bike and occasional use for items that won't fit through the door like an elliptical we are being offered from freecycle.

Anyone have any thoughts about it? I've posted four pictures; here is the first one the rest are next to it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safoocat/8430689238/in/photostream

Michelle Ress
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Re: 1982 hitch question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136509
"Our 1982 22' LD has a hitch on it which I assumed came with it but yesterday when I called they said that it didn't come with a hitch so this must have been added on."

Michelle
 That does not look like a Factory hitch, most definitely an aftermarket add-on.
It should be more than strong enough for a basket. I used one on our 1983 LD to carry a fire pit and wood. Just try to keep the weight down to prevent handling problems. Make sure the basket is secure and does not bounce too much.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136511
Hi Larry,
 Thanks for that. Did you connect your basket to the bumper at the outsides to stabilize it from twisting?? Michelle

That does not look like a Factory hitch, most definitely an aftermarket add-on.
It should be more than strong enough for a basket. I used one on our 1983 LD to carry a fire pit and wood. Just try to keep the weight down to prevent handling problems. Make sure the basket is secure and does not bounce too much.

Larry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136515
That looks like a seriously competent hitch for what you want to do.  I have a similar carry basket on my '89 and have a full covered pickup type tool box mounted on it.  I carry firewood, a bottle jack, miscellaneous junk and whatnot in it.  I did add an angle iron support from the basket to under the bumper on each side to keep it from wobbling, although I don't know that is was necessary.  Just insurance, I guess.

Gary in Chico, CA

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136516
"Thanks for that. Did you connect your basket to the bumper at the outsides to stabilize it from twisting?"

Michelle
 No, it didn't need it. When building the basket, I added a way to tighten the insert, so it doesn't rock. The inexpensive commercial trays do not have this and will rock, how much depending on tight everything fits from the start.
You can also drill a large hole on the bottom and one side of the receiver, weld nuts in place, on the outside of the receiver, and then use bolts to lock the tray down, once inserted.
 It shouldn't be be too difficult to add an angle bracket to each side of the tray, bolting them into the bumper, if needed.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136524
Thanks Gary and Larry for your input. I plan on buying the carrier from Harbor Freight and will post a picture after it's installed. best,

*Michelle Ress 1982 22' *

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]