Skip to main content
Topic: good, basic multimeter recommendation? (Read 30 times) previous topic - next topic
good, basic multimeter recommendation?
Yahoo Message Number: 136335
The unit recommended by Andy Baird (Radio Shack 22-820) is no longer available.  Is there a suitable alternative?  Thanks--Ted

Re: good, basic multimeter recommendation?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136337
"tedpdx"  wrote:
 The unit recommended by Andy Baird (Radio Shack 22-820) is no longer available.
--- I don't know if this is still valid, but I found the pocket multimeter at a Radio Shack store a long time after it was listed as "unavailable" on the Radio Shack website.  The later pocket multimeters are grey, not yellow, so I almost missed it!  You might check Radio Shack stores if you haven't already.  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136338
The unit recommended by Andy Baird (Radio Shack 22-820) is no longer available.  Is there a suitable alternative?  Thanks--Ted
Here is the current version of the one I carry in our LD:
 http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter/p-03482139000P?prdNo=4

Not as fast as my Fluke, but has a duty-cycle and frequency measurement, which can be handy. The new model will also accept a type-K thermocouple for temperatures.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136339
"aq433"  wrote: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter/p-03482139000P?prdNo=4 --- I carry this Equus (Innova) and the Radio Shack pocket multimeter:
 http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000EVYGZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358873519&sr=8-1&keywords=equus+multimeter

The digital Equus is inexpensive, pretty small, light, and it works. I don't know how I ended up with two multimeters; it just happened. ;-)

Joan
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136348
"The unit recommended by Andy Baird (Radio Shack 22-820) is no longer available."
 Try calling around to local Radio Shack stores. Although officially discontinued, items can stay around quite a long time on RS stores' shelves, until they are sold--especially items like multimeters that are not trendy or fast-selling. I found several of these meters last summer in a store in Colorado, for example. Keep calling Radio Shack stores, and you may get lucky.
 To answer your question, there are plenty of digital multimeters out there, including cheap ones... but I don't know of any meter that is anywhere near as compact, easy to use and suitable for RVers as this one. It's worth the effort to search for one.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136355
Thank you all for your advice.  I'll try Andy's suggestion, then, if that fails, try to find one that matches his criteria.  Ted

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136357
Today I bought a Radio Shack #22-820 multimeter at the Radio Shack in Gig Harbor, WA. They had more than one and said they still order them to restock. Not available online but still in the bricks and mortar stores, at least the store in Gig Harbor, WA.

Thanks for the recommendation Andy, just what I was looking for.

Jim 1997 Teal RB Vaughn, WA

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136359
Wow, Jim; you and Andy are right--they are still in the stores.  I'm having one held for me in a suburban Portland, OR store for pick up tomorrow.  This was way too easy!  Thanks to you both. Ted

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 136360
The best meter for RVer's is one that will read 200+ DC amps, in addition to the normal multimeter features, and do it by simply clamping around the wire. We do so much battery testing, charger fiddling, and solar panel work, that being without one makes most diagnostic work a huge hassle. Years ago, they cost $150 (what I paid) to $300, but a year ago, Sears brought a marvel to their stores that does everything mine does, now for only $51:

Craftsman Digital Clamp-On Ammeter - Tools - Electricians Tools - Multi-Meters & Meters
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1>
 AC and DC amps on 40 amp and 400 amp scales, AC/DC volts, temperature by thermocouple, ohms, even frequency and capacitance.
 It works very well (friend of mine has one), and is an enormous value.
Get this one, and you'll be really happy you did.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 136365
I have 4 or 5 of the cheapo Harbor Freight digital meters. They typically go on sale for $3 to $4. I've checked their accuracy against my Fluke 87 (about $400), and they compare favorably. Of course they don't have some of the more esoteric functions, like capacitance, min-max data acquisition etc. but for DC and AC volts and amps (up to 10), they are a good deal.

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 136369
"I have 4 or 5 of the cheapo Harbor Freight digital meters. They typically go on sale for $3 to $4. I've checked their accuracy against my Fluke 87 (about $400), and they compare favorably. Of course they don't have some of the more esoteric functions..."
 Those are certainly cost-effective, and if you have a good grasp of electrical theory, they're a good choice. The reason I recommend the Radio Shack #22-820 multimeters (aside from their very compact, self-protecting clamshell design) is that they're extremely simple to operate, and thus well suited to a non-technical user.
 They have auto-ranging, auto-polarity, and automatic AC/DC detection. There's just one three-position slide switch and one function button. No big, confusing rotary switch with a couple dozen positions, no need to choose which of several sockets to plug your test leads into, depending on what you're doing... just turn it on, choose volts, amps or ohms, and you're in business.
 They have one drawback: they can only measure small currents (a couple hundred milliamps max, as I recall), unlike the 10A maximum capacity of your Harbor Freight meters. But in day-to-day use, they do the job, and they are easy for a non-technical person to understand. For the more knowledgable, I like Eric's suggestion of the Sears Craftsman #82369 clamp-on ammeter.

Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 136371
I have a digital but actually prefer my analog. I have an older Radio Shack analog multimeter that is very reliable. It's not this model but here is a similar one on ebay:
Analog meters have two serious issues:

1) They are relatively inaccurate, which can be a problem when you are - for instance - trying to estimate battery state-of-charge by comparing terminal voltage vs. temperature.

2) They have a low input impedance, when measuring low-voltage high-impedance circuits. This can both give an inaccurate reading and affect circuit performance.

But, beyond all this, they do not offer auto-ranging, semiconductor junction testing, low-voltage resistance measurements, or any of many other special functions available now even on inexpensive DMMs.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 136376
Hmmmm.  Radio Shack is holding a 22-820 for me to pick up today.  What are the drawbacks of only being able to measure small currents?  What "price" am I paying for simplicity?  Thanks-Ted

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 136378
"What are the drawbacks of only being able to measure small currents?"
 Eric spelled out the main uses of a meter that's able to measure large currents (hundreds of amps): "battery testing, charger fiddling, and solar panel work." If you do this kind of thing frequently, and you're electronics-savvy and familiar with using a multimeter, and you don't need a meter that can slip into your shirt pocket, then the Sears clamp-on meter is a good choice.
 The Sears meter is all about maximum versatility. The Radio Shack meter is all about compactness and simplicity of use. Personally, I've only seen a couple of occasions over the years where I wished I had a clamp-on high-current meter. 99% of the time I get by just fine with the little clamshell Radio Shack unit. I carry one in my rig and one in my car. But you could do worse than own one of each type. :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 136379
"Analog meters have two serious issues..."
 Make that three. They are also fragile. I used 'em for years, but I'd never willingly go back.

Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 136380
My complaint with inexpensive meters is how short and stiff the test cords are. If you can find a longer, more flexible set of cords that fit, consider getting them.
The clamp-on Sears meter is a nice device for the money. Maybe I'm odd but measuring amperage above 10-amps is something regularly I do.  Presently, it requires dragging out an old Fluke A/C-D/C clamp-on ammeter, which does not have a readout so it requires using a DMV to read...accurate but not convenient.
 Analog meters do work better when looking at powered circuits that turn on and off rapidly, such as turn-signals. In this case a digital meter shows complete gibberish where an analog meter's needle will swing back and forth, showing a better estimation of the changing voltage.
Back in the olden days, most electronic enthusiasts had a VTVM (vacuum tube voltmeter)on their bench. VTVMs have very high input impedance and do not suffer from the low impedance problems that traditional analog meters have.
I built a Heathkit VTVM when I was 14 and used it for thirty years before it gave up the ghost. Wish I had held on to it, it's probably a collector's item now.
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/test/hvmim-11.shtml

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 136383
"Larry"  wrote:
 My complaint with inexpensive meters is how short and stiff the test cords are.
--- The test cords on the Innova Equus 3320 digital mulitmeter that I suggested in a previous post are very flexible, 34" long from the base of the probe to the plug-in, and the device was about $20.00. I believe that it was a good buy, and I may even name it, I like it so much! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 136386
On 23.01.2013 09:51, Larry wrote:

I built a Heathkit VTVM when I was 14 and used it for thirty years before it gave up the ghost. Wish I had held on to it, it's probably a collector's item now.
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/test/hvmim-11.shtml [1]
Thanks for the link Larry.. My father had one like that in a cream sort of color that he used for decades.. I *think* it's still at my mom's place but might be wrong.. It was working last I knew but that was years ago now.. I might have to look for it next time I'm up in Oregon..

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 136387
"Analog meters do work better when looking at powered circuits that turn on and off rapidly, such as turn-signals. In this case a digital meter shows complete gibberish where an analog meter's needle will swing back and forth, showing a better estimation of the changing voltage."
 Good point. But I've seen digital meters with a bar-graph-style indicator below the numeric readout, intended to remedy this deficiency. You can watch the bar-graph bounce just as you'd watch a needle bounce. For example, many of the Fluke models have this feature:
 http://coast-coast.co.za/Fluke/Digital%20multimeters/F-77-IV_01a_h_72dpi_778x1024px_E.jpg

Andy Baird

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 136388
Good point. But I've seen digital meters with a bar-graph-style indicator below the numeric readout, intended to remedy this deficiency. You can watch the bar-graph bounce just as you'd watch a needle bounce. For example, many of the Fluke models have this feature:
Yes - and analog MULTImeters are not particularly useful for reading fast fluctuations due to high inertia and intentional electrical damping. Fast DMMs, such as the Flukes, set to range-hold, will give you a more accurate reading. Any faster, and you really need to use a 'scope.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 136389
"You can watch the bar-graph bounce just as you'd watch a needle bounce. For example, many of the Fluke models have this feature"
 As an owner of two Fluke DVMs, I know the bar-graph also bounces a lot but it is still a better indicator than the numerical readout.
Steve's suggestion that a scope may be the best instrument in this situation is a good one.
When in doubt, buy a digital and hold on to that old analog meter (who knows, it might become a collector's item someday).

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 136390
"My father had one like that in a cream sort of color that he used for decades... It was working last I knew but that was years ago now.."

Rick
 Odds are the electrolytic capacitors have gone bad and would need replacement before the VTVM is usable. That's what happened to my old one.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 136392
For me the digital meter is good for exact voltages the analog meter is better for continuity as it's easier for me to see a meter swing than to decipher a digital display especially if at an angle or in reduced light.
 One use I discovered for the analog meter the other day when testing my LED light strips is that on the lowest resistance scale the meter would dimly light an LED which was a test that it was working. Another advantage of the analog meter is that other than the resistance setting it doesn't require a battery. I've left my cheapo digital meter on by mistake several times.

Michelle Ress 1982 22' model

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 136410
"I built a Heathkit VTVM when I was 14 and used it for thirty years before it gave up the ghost. Wish I had held on to it, it's probably a collector's item now."

Larry
Larry

You are in luck!!!
 In 1961 I built a "Knight-Kit" VTVM (Allied Radio) at the beginning of my electronics career. The last time I fired it up a few years back it was working fine.
 If you would like to have it I'll bring it to Morro Bay when we gather there.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!