Skip to main content
Topic: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
Yahoo Message Number: 136296
Looking forward to a trip this summer which will take us through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, places we have never been before.   I would appreciate any recommendations on campgrounds in these two parks, or nearby.  Is there one campground that we could stay in that is close enough to both parks for daily visits?  Is it better to stay in the parks or outside?   How about top attractions and things to see?   Thanks in advance for your input.    Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Re: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136297
We stayed at Colter Bay Campground (not the full service RV park right next door by the same name) when we were in Grand Teton NP.
 When we visited Yellowstone, we stayed at Bakers Hole Campground outside the west entrance to Yellowstone.  While it was a nice campground, I'd recommend staying at one -- or two -- of the campgrounds inside Yellowstone because this park is huge and if you want to see it all (or at least drive all the loop roads), it's going to require a lot of driving.  That's one of the reasons I would not recommend trying to find one central location to visit both parks...you'll spend most of the day just driving.
 As far as things to see and do, the National Park website for each park is a wealth of information:

Grand Teton NP:  www.nps.gov/grte Yellowstone NP:  www.nps.gov/yell

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136298
Looking forward to a trip this summer which will take us through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, places we have never been before.   I would appreciate any recommendations on campgrounds in these two parks, or nearby.  Is there one campground that we could stay in that is close enough to both parks for daily visits?  Is it better to stay in the parks or outside?   How about top attractions and things to see?   Thanks in advance for your input.    Gale

Gale, at Yellowstone, just pick a campground and start driving that quadrant. Maybe move to another campground and do the same thing. Work your way through the park. The cg with hookups is sardinesville. In Teton, we really enjoyed the boat cruise on Lake Jackson. If you can go to these parks in 1st two weeks in Sept after school starts, you will enjoy them more. June, July & August are hoardsville. Buy a guide to both parks and spend plenty of time in each.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136299
"Linda & Earl Hylton"  wrote: As far as things to see and do, the National Park website for each park is a wealth of information: Grand Teton NP:  www.nps.gov/grte Yellowstone NP:  www.nps.gov/yell --- Absolutely agree! The first stop for anyone planning a visit to any national park is the official NPS website; there's very little about the parks that is NOT included on the website! The "Plan Your Visit" link is a great way to get started.
 As Linda said, both parks, particularly Yellowstone, are vast, with multiple attractions in all areas of the parks, and where you stay depends on (IMO) several considerations: 1) How much time overall do you have to spend in both parks? 2) Will you be driving the LD or a toad? (Finding parking for a car at attractions is a lot easier than finding a space for the rig!) 3) Will you want hookups and/or be close to "amenities"), e.g., laundry, restaurants, etc., and/or do you feel more comfortable making reservations? 4) How far and for how much time are you willing to drive each day to sightsee and and to travel back and forth to your campsite? 5) Do you plan activities which will take large blocks of time, e.g., a day-long hike, that might mean an after-dark return to camp?  (Even though it stays light well into the evening in the summer, "time flies when you're having fun"; I don't recommend night driving in either park.)

Have fun planning!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136300
"Looking forward to a trip this summer which will take us through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
Gale

Gale
 I have camped at the Madison River campground (NW corner of Yellowstone Park) and even though there are no hookups we were quite content. Perhaps it was just the right time and place but we were surrounded by Bison by the hundreds who were enjoying a steam bath in the river.
 As for Teton Park, I've stayed at the commercial RV park just east of Moran Junction outside the park but within view of the Tetons on a clear day.
 And, since you are in the area DO NOT MISS the museums (5in1) in Cody, WY. The entrance fee permits two days and you will need it. I assure you that you will kick your butt if you pass it by. And the buffet breakfast at the Wm. Cody Hotel in town is among my favorites.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136304
I appreciate all the LDers responses to your request for info. My son and his wife are taking me to Yellowstone and the Tetons for 11 days in mid-August. We will stay in my 23.5' rear lounge LD, at Fisher's Bend, a large full service RV campground inside the park.  It is not run by the Nat'l Park Service, but by a private company. Therefore my Nat'l Park Golden Age/Senior Pass does not apply there. But I am not paying for the 11 days stay. I haven't checked back with my son, but he remembers that the pass, used to get into the park, will not cover the whole eleven days. So, we plan to travel to places outside the park, e.g. Cody Museum, for the first part of the trip, and save all the in-park trips for the latter part. We will pick up a rental car in Bozeman, for day trips. Not a typical LD trip, but I am excited to be going on my first trip to Yellowstone, etc. Enjoy yours! Lucy

__ From: galelynn2 lawgnw@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:57 PM
 Subject: [LD] Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136306
Hi, Gale,
 We made our first visit to Yellowstone and the Tetons in the fall of 2011.  Both are spectacular places to explore and we could easily have stayed longer than the three weeks that we did. We arrived in mid-September when the worst of the tourist season was over, the weather was gorgeous and finding campsites was not a problem - we had no reservations and never had a problem getting a site. We stayed at four different CG's in Yellowstone and two in Grand Teton NP. This put us close to the many attractions we wanted to see. We've posted photo-journals of our trip on our web site:

Yellowstone NP
http://www.wxtoad.com/index.php/our-travels/out-west-2011-2012/yellowst\ one-np>

Grand Teton NP
http://www.wxtoad.com/index.php/our-travels/out-west-2011-2012/grand-te\ ton-np>
 Within each journal are links to the campgrounds in which we stayed.
I'd also recommend a trip over the Beartooth Highway
http://www.wxtoad.com/index.php/our-travels/out-west-2011-2012/beartoot\ h-highway>  .

Have a great trip!

Ted H.
Toad Hall  http://www.wxtoad.com>

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136307
Lucy Courtney  wrote: We will stay in my 23.5' rear lounge LD, at Fisher's Bend, a large full service RV campground inside the park.   It  is not  run by the Nat'l Park Service, but by a private company.  Therefore my Nat'l Park Golden Age/Senior Pass does not apply there.
--- Lucy, I think you mean "Fishing Bridge"? This is a link to an "interactive tour" of the place (from the nps.gov/yell website:
 http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishingbridge.htm

I also suggest  looking at/downloading the "National Park Trip Planner" PDF; this is found in the "Plan Your Visit" section of the website.
 The "Senior Pass" admits 4 adults in one vehicle for a 7-day entry/stay; in the case of Yellowstone and the Tetons, the parks are connected, so one "entry" usually does the job unless one is going in and out of the park(s) through different entrances.  In that case, just show the pass again!

Have a good time!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 136308
"wxtoad"  wrote: We arrived in mid-September when the worst of the tourist season was over, the weather was gorgeous and finding campsites was not a problem - we had no reservations and never had a problem getting a site.
--- September is also my preferred time in Yellowstone and the Tetons, but it's a good idea to be aware of the closing dates of facilities and campgrounds in the parks:
 http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/open_closedates.htm#CP_JUMP_127510

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 136315
IMO, Joan nailed it.
 This past summer, I did Yellowstone with three CG locations.  I started with 5 days at Bakers Hole, a few miles north of West Yellowstone, where I had water and electric.  From there I was able to use my toad to explore the western side of the Park.
 I then moved to Pebble Creek, a CG in the park, for a week.  Note that there is no electric and no dump station at Pebble Creek, and use of generators is not permitted.  Water may be gotten from a hand pump.  I liked this location best because of its location at the head of the Lamar valley, where I saw bear, wolves, coyotes, elk, antelope, and every day, hundreds of bison.  I got a glimpse of a river otter.  If you have the solar to make it work, this is a nice spot.  Caution - with multiple people, and with the nearest dump station to the northeast outside the park, you might have to move every few days to empty the tanks unless you use the bathroom facilities at the CG rather than in the rig.
 If you are at Pebble Creek, and you are either not towing or are exploring in a toad, don't miss the Beartooth Highway.
 I finished my Yellowstone trip with two days at Fishing Bridge.  They have full hookups, store, laundry, etc., and I was ready for that kind of "back on the grid" break.  I recommend making a reservation if Fishing Bridge is your objective.  It has the advantage of being centrally located in the Park.  It has the disadvantage of being expensive and of parking you cheek to jowl with other campers.  You MIGHT have enough room to put out your awning, but I would not count on it.  If your neighbor has slide-outs you will not have room - I didn't.  I couldn't wait to get out of there.
 I then moved to the Gros Ventre CG in Teton, at the south end of stuff, for the rest of my stay in the area.  At Gros Ventre, there are sites with hookups, sites with no hookups and no generator, and sites with no hookups but with generators permitted for 2 hrs AM and 2 hrs PM.
 The year before, I stayed at Coulter Bay, in the full hookup area.  The location was nice, but spaces were somewhat close and it would be a challenge getting level without hydraulics.  I visited someone in the non-hookup area and if I returned that would be my area of choice for its more open feel.  Coulter Bay is at the north end of Teton.  It has great access to the lake and to the Oxbow area, but is a bit of a drive from the central parts of the park.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 136317
--- Kenneth Fears  wrote:

don't miss the Beartooth Highway.
--- The Beartooth is designated an "All-American Road", and it well-deserves the label; it is indeed a "don't miss" attraction! This website offers good information, maps, and updates:
 http://www.beartoothhighway.com/index.html

I finished my Yellowstone trip with two days at Fishing Bridge.....I couldn't wait to get out of there.
-- Agreed; not for me, either. I spent one night because I arrived late; left as soon as it was light the next morning.

Gros Ventre CG in Teton, at the south end of stuff...
-- This campground has several advantages for many visitors: it seldom fills, it's quiet and pretty spacious, there are hookup and no-hookup areas, and it's reasonably close to Jackson.  Another don't miss in that area is the National Museum of Wildlife Art:

http://www.wildlifeart.org/

The year before, I stayed at Coulter Bay, in the full hookup area.
-- I stayed at the full-hookup Colter Bay RV Park on one trip to the parks, but much prefer Colter Bay Campground or Signal Mountain; I snagged the same site at Signal Mountain for a few years until the trees grew to the point of obscuring the view down to Jackson Lake! Both parks are glorious; I hope to make it back one day before I hang up the keys! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 136318
I don't think it's mentioned yet: Madison is the closest campground to the geyser basin.
 The point being, If you like the hydrothermal features as well as we do, you will make several forays out from camp to the see eruptions at grand, fountain, castle, grotto, daisy and the some of the rest.
 And of course Old Faithful, which is easier to see.  (Eruptions of the not-so-famous geysers are sometimes twelve or so hours between.  The park predicts a few hours in advance, so we go from one to another.)

Parking at these places is easy for cars, not so much for the RV.

John

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 136319
This is a road we will never travel!  I am terrified of roads that hang off the side of a mountain that don't have any guard rails.  We've accidently driven some of these types of roads and it's not fun for me since I spend the entire time gripping whatever I can get my hands on...some roads have frightened me so much, I'm reduced to tears.

So, while it may be beautiful scenery, we will never see it!

Linda Hylton

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 136320
"My son and his wife are taking me to Yellowstone and the Tetons for 11 days in mid-August."
Lucy

Lucy
 Lucky you! Here is an example of what you are likely to see in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=BUOQ_yPW_0s

If you see only a portion it will be well worth the trip.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 136321
"Linda & Earl Hylton"  wrote:
 This is a road we will never travel!  I am terrified of roads that hang off the side of a mountain that don't have any guard rails.
--- Linda, the Beartooth is high, narrow in spots, and winding, but there are few places - in fact, I don't recall any - along this route which "hang off the side of a mountain". I drove 212 from Red Lodge to Cooke City and through the northeast entrance into Yellowstone, i.e., the reverse direction from that noted in this website, but in either direction, it's a spectacular ride; I'm sorry you'll miss it.
 http://byways.org/explore/byways/2281/itinerary/70123 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 136322
"...This past summer, I did Yellowstone with three CG locations.  I started with 5 days at Bakers Hole, a few miles north of West Yellowstone, where I had water and electric.  From there I was able to use my toad to explore the western side of the Park..."
If you want to see some gorgeous photos of Yellowstone and the The Tetons, go to Ken's blogspot http://landshipenterprise.blogspot.com/2013/01/this-winter-is-for-birds.html> and check out July and August posts for 2012.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 136323
Quote from: chorst_2000"

If you want to see some gorgeous photos of Yellowstone and the The Tetons, go to Ken's blogspot  and check out July and August posts for 2012.
 There are also a whole bunch of Yellowstone and Tetons images from early October 2010 on my photo blog.  Starting at: http://arts-work.blogspot.com/2010/10/yellowstone-2010.html

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 136325
The winding doesn't bother me, but does it have any shoulders, or does the road run right along the drop off (like US-550 from Ouray to Silverton where there were even sections of the right-hand side white line that were gone because of erosion)?  Does it have guard rails in those portions where you're on the drop-off side?
 We drove US-550 from Ouray to Silverton.  Never again!  Another scary road for me was ID-71 from the Snake River up over Brownlee Pass and into Cambridge.  Now, I might drive this road going the other way where we'd be on the mountain side, but the direction we drove it, the road was right at the drop off and there were no guard rails.
 People who aren't afraid of heights really have no idea how terrifying those types of roads can be to those of us who are afraid of heights.  I can't enjoy the scenery because my eyes are glued to the road...and I'm not even the one driving! :-)

Linda Hylton

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 136340
We have a home on East of Beartooths, in Red Lodge, but you won't want to drive over the pass unless you understand what faces you. Can bypass on Chief Joseph highway for gentler slope.
 Our favorite camlpgrounds are Lewis Lake, pebble creek, tower falls for no hook ups. Enjoy bridge bay and Madison with hook ups.

In Beartooth look for island lake no hook ups about 9,000 feet.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 136343
you won't want to drive over the pass unless you understand what faces you. Can bypass on Chief Joseph highway for gentler slope.

I have considered driving the Bear Tooth Pass on our way back from Alaska in September weather permitting.  Here is an excerpt from the Mountain Directory West.
 Bear Tooth Pass is aptly named. It's a bear of a pass. The Montana side of the pass is the most difficult with a very narrow, rough, winding and steep descent. 22 miles of 6 - 8% grade. There are numerous 15, 20, 25 mph hairpin turns, many of these unmarked. Descending eastbound from the west summit of Bear Tooth the first 1 1/2 miles are about 8% downhill graded followed by 1 1/2 miles of 5-7% grade uphill to he east summit. The first 4 miles downhill from the east summit are about 8% with 20 mph hairpins and other curves.

Here is a visual.
http://mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/images/beartooth/beartooth_map.jpg

Malcolm
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 136349
bmwgt31995  wrote: Here is an excerpt from the Mountain Directory West.
 Bear Tooth Pass is aptly named. It's a bear of a pass. The Montana side of the pass is the most difficult with a very narrow, rough, winding and steep descent. 22 miles of 6 - 8% grade. There are numerous 15, 20, 25 mph hairpin turns, many of these unmarked. Descending eastbound from the west summit of Bear Tooth the first 1 1/2 miles are about 8% downhill graded followed by 1 1/2 miles of 5-7% grade uphill to he east summit. The first 4 miles downhill from the east summit are about 8% with 20 mph hairpins and other curves.
--- The MD's description is worse than the reality of the road IMO; yes, it's steep, narrow, curvy, and, in places, the surface is pretty beat up, but I didn't find the Beartooth any more difficult to drive (and marvel at!) than any number of other "high roads" that I've driven in one motorhome or another over the years. But, my rig is a 23.5', I don't tow, and, as noted, I've done a lot of mountain driving.
 The scenery and "long views" along the Beartooth are spectacular, but mountain driving experience is definitely advisable if one wants to have a safe and enjoyable trip.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 136381
Hi Gale:
 Our family has been to these parks about six times in the past 12 years, most recently June of 2012, all prior to owning an RV.  I can't help with campground info, but it appears that you have received good advice on this from others.  I would like to add a few points that I recommend to friends going there.

1.  I agree with the comments about the Buffalo Bill museums in Cody.  Well worth the trip if you can fit it in.

2.  The weather in Yellowstone is unpredictable and it can snow any month of the year.  We stayed at a Lodge in Canyon one June and were snowed in one morning.  The Rangers prohibited travel in or out of the area for the better part of one day.  Last June, we stayed in West Yellowstone and the temperature dropped to 34 degrees.  Plan on taking at least some colder weather gear with you.

3.  Be aware of traffic.  The road repair season in Yellowstone is very short, thus there is almost always some road repair project taking place. Often, roads are completely shut down late night and may have alternating half-hour delays during the day. You can get the latest info from the NPS web site and plan your travels accordingly. There are also the infamous "bear-jams" caused not only by nearby bears, but other wildlife as well.  Bison in particular will stand in the middle of the road and seemingly pay no attention to humans and traffic. Rule of thumb is if you see a number of vehicles pulled over, they are probably viewing wildlife.  If you see a Ranger with the group, they are probably looking at bears.

4.  If able, hike down to the edge of the waterfalls in Canyon.  Spectacular views and the golden hue of the rocks makes it clear how the park got its name.

5.  GT Park is also very beautiful.  Others have provided info. to you on this park, but I would add that you might consider taking a raft trip down the Snake River.

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 136391
I'd like to thank all you who offered tips and advice on visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's this summer.   Yes....I said summer....but it can't be helped.   Last April we were on a trip east and spent a week in Washington, DC.   Didn't know it until too late but it was "spring break".   I think every school-age child in the free world was there!   Still lots of fun and a great place to visit.   Thanks again,   Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 136416
We kind of like to stay away from the campgrounds in the parks-just personal preference. So this past summer we stayed at Falls Campground in Wyoming and drove over a beautiful pass into the parks each day. I know this would not be everyone's choice. The Falls campground is beautiful also and we spent a day just hiking the cross country ski trails at Falls.
Lk in 87 tk
2018 24' Twin King (replacing 1987 22' TK)

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 136417
Agree.  Similarly, just south of the South entrance to Grand Canyon is a Forest Service office that will give you a great map for boondocking in a wide area around the south GCNP.  For example, there is FS688 just south of the entrance about 8 miles that is just off the main road, quiet forest area, and not crowded (in our experience).  Also, about 11 miles east of south entrance and 1 1/2 miles in is another great area.  Enjoy the park and avoid the crowded campground.  JB