Skip to main content
Topic: Painted Parts (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Painted Parts
Yahoo Message Number: 136227
I find myself in need of a replacement cover for the telephone and table hookup as well as the small front hatch door on my '99 IB (I thought the concrete picnic table would move).  Since they can't or won't mail the paint, can you get these parts already painted?  Andy probably knows from his vast store of knowledge.

Re: Painted Parts
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136228
I find myself in need of a replacement cover for the telephone and table hookup as well as the small front hatch door on my '99 IB (I thought the concrete picnic table would move).  Since they can't or won't mail the paint, can you get these parts already painted?  Andy probably knows from his vast store of knowledge.
Connie, best to call LD and ask.  I had to replace sewer hose door and it was about $15.00 for door and $50.00 to paint.  Maybe they have some pre-painted for those parts.

Joe Hamm

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136231
Since they (LD) can't or won't mail the paint, can you get these parts already painted?

They can/will ship you 1oz touch up bottles, but you need to pick up the next size available (1 quart cans) in person.
 The next question is, how much area are you going to paint? If it's under a couple of square feet, then 2oz of touch up paint mixed in this sprayer works pretty well:
 http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Sprayer-PVE267-Spray-Gun/dp/B000TRL9PY

Our RV is tan - we've used this system to touch up small sections of both the dark tan & light tan two-tone segments with great success.
 BTW, it's important to note that LD uses high-end 2-part marine poly-urethane paint for their colors. It's made by Cardinal paint - if you have a big project, you can buy gallon sizes from Cardinal direct - just get the paint number from LD. Anyway, since it's 2-part poly, you need to mix the paint with an activator. (LD sends you 1oz of activator with every 1oz of paint you buy.)
 If you need to paint the base white, then it needs to be matched to the coach builder. In our case, it's good 'ole GM 'polar white' for our '93 Chevy chassis.
 The go-to place to have auto colors mixed in a custom large spray (rattle) can is this place:

http://www.imatchpaint.com/
 We got the large, 16oz can for $22. It's a perfect match - it's gotten to the point that if a certain area that could use a little "improvement" really starts to bug me, I get out my 800 grit, feather sand it a smidge, and hit it with my trusty spray can. Any generic clear coat then completes the process.
 Side note: 1993 GM still used acrylic lacquer (ie 1 part) which is why it can be mixed in a spray can. The Cardinal poly stuff goes off within 1/2 hour, so you need either a disposable system like the Preval, or are real quick with Acetone to wash out a spray gun.
 The 2-part stuff is real nasty as well, so if you were going to do a larger job, you'd need a complete professional vented system with ventilator, etc anyway.

K
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136232

Since they (LD) can't or won't mail the paint, can you get these parts already painted?

They can/will ship you 1oz touch up bottles, but you need to pick up the next size available (1 quart cans) in person.
 The next question is, how much area are you going to paint? If it's under a couple of square feet, then 2oz of touch up paint mixed in this sprayer works pretty well:
 http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Sprayer-PVE267-Spray-Gun/dp/B000TRL9PY

Our RV is tan - we've used this system to touch up small sections of both the dark tan & light tan two-tone segments with great success.
 BTW, it's important to note that LD uses high-end 2-part marine poly-urethane paint for their colors. It's made by Cardinal paint - if you have a big project, you can buy gallon sizes from Cardinal direct - just get the paint number from LD. Anyway, since it's 2-part poly, you need to mix the paint with an activator. (LD sends you 1oz of activator with every 1oz of paint you buy.)
 If you need to paint the base white, then it needs to be matched to the coach builder. In our case, it's good 'ole GM 'polar white' for our '93 Chevy chassis.
 The go-to place to have auto colors mixed in a custom large spray (rattle) can is this place:

http://www.imatchpaint.com/
 We got the large, 16oz can for $22. It's a perfect match - it's gotten to the point that if a certain area that could use a little "improvement" really starts to bug me, I get out my 800 grit, feather sand it a smidge, and hit it with my trusty spray can. Any generic clear coat then completes the process.
 Side note: 1993 GM still used acrylic lacquer (ie 1 part) which is why it can be mixed in a spray can. The Cardinal poly stuff goes off within 1/2 hour, so you need either a disposable system like the Preval, or are real quick with Acetone to wash out a spray gun.
 The 2-part stuff is real nasty as well, so if you were going to do a larger job, you'd need a complete professional vented system with ventilator, etc anyway.

K

Karl, you've just been a wellspring of interesting and useful information lately. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Chris
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136239
I have a 2005 MB with the blue and white paint scheme.  My experience with LD paint is as follows:

1.  The paint that LD used on my rig (and others) does not adhere well to  "plastic" components like the sewer hose door and shore power connection  cover.  Within a year mine "pealed."  LD has repainted both at least twice  when I have had other body damage repaired.  The paint doesn't do too well  on the "Outdoor Power" covers that are on the "telephone/TV cable"  connectors or the AC outlet connectors.

2.   A couple of years ago Vince told me that the "rattle-can paint" that  they sell is really not paint, but laquer (sp?).  Also that it has a limited  shelf life of about 6 months.  I bought a can of the "dark blue" that is on  the lower body skirt.  I repainted my "telephone / cable TV" cover with it  after I had stored the "paint" for some time.  It was much darker in color  than the body paint.

3.  I managed to acquire a number of major "tree limb scrapes" in the white  paint at outter edges of the roof.  I cleaned them up with a little steel  wool and very fine grit silicon paper, then painted them with Rust O Leum  Industrial Grade gloss white paint.  The color match is very good.  If you  "feather" the spray well and clean things up with some fine grit "wet and  dry" paper, you have a very hard time seeing the patch.  I think that the  key is in the "industrial grade" label.   Rust O Leum also comes in a  "consumer" grade too.  The industrial grade is in a taller can and is  available at Lowe's and Home Depot.

4.  My LD installed "sewer hose" door is pealing again.  I am about to
 remove it and replace it with an unpainted white door.  I think that the white door looks better than the pealing paint.   I have added some "long item" storage to my LD and it is accessed via a door (approx 10" x 15") located on the right side near the rear.  It is not painted and is white.
It will stay that way.
 I don't know what LD is using for paint these days or what they are selling for "touchup" but will be finding out soon.  I have some body damage repair work that needs to be done.  My biggest problem is in getting them to not paint my white doors.

Doug

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]