Skip to main content
Topic: Repairing a leaking city water connection valve instead of replacing (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Repairing a leaking city water connection valve instead of replacing
Yahoo Message Number: 136179
A few months back, I posted a detailed account up-thread of how I approached this problem following Steve's original instructions: http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/lifewithalazydazerv/message/134445
OK, so today I decide to take off an old quick release valve that looks like it's been on my city water inlet for 20 years. I take it off, look inside (from the outside), and notice the city water valve looks odd - the spring & (golf) tee are sitting there, but there isn't any collar! In other words, there isn't any tension.
 Now, if you go back and read my original thread, I simply followed Steve & Vince's directions by cannibalizing a new check valve for the tee, o-ring, spring & collar. All new parts, and the collar definitely was snapped on tight.
 My conclusion is that either the individual parts my have been defective, or more likely, in the 20 years since the original check valve had been mfg, production had moved offshore to China...
 Well, anyway, since I knew what to do this time around, it only took around 5 minutes to get that sucker out, pronto. Once I had the parts on my workbench, I looked @ the tee & spring and examined the cap end - it looked fine, so there should have been no problem mounting a new collar.
 That's right, I wasn't going to buy another $10 check valve just to get the pieces again - I was going to craft a new collar. So, I drove off to my neighborhood hardware store, which seems to have a veritable treasure trove of weird rings, springs & other oddities in a number of different materials.
 My favorite section is the one for nylon fasteners, so I went straight to the washers. I had a feeling the internal diameter of the collar had to be standard - they don't typically re-invent the wheel for large productions of generic parts.
 I struck pay dirt in around 10 seconds - I mean, it was a perfect fit. It took a little pushing to get it to over the bevelled edge, but then it snapped right into place. While it doesn't have the dog ears (added as an extra measure to the collar in order hold in the spring), the washer itself was a micron wider in circumference, so it was sufficient to hold the spring by itself.
 Even better, since there was a little play in the width of the washer (as is true with the OEM collar), I realized I could put on two. Again, a perfect fit, which suggests that when the bevel was molded, it was using standard dimensions  - as in 2x standard washer width to make assembly easier/quicker.
 Total cost was .22 cents - 11 cents apiece per washer. I didn't note the size, etc, but if you ever find yourself in a situation where the city valve is leaking, it is most likely the o-ring, spring collar or both. The o-ring should also be easily found at any hardware store with a wide selection, and the nylon washers just require eyeballing & testing for fit to verify you have the right size.

Happy trails,

Karl

Re: Repairing a leaking city water connection valve instead of repla
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136183
Karl, and others:  I'm in complete agreement that an "O" ring replacement for probably less than $1.00 is all that is needed in fixing the leaking "city water" valve.  I learned this the hard way last week when I purchased the whole unit just to get the "T" and collar.  Once the part is dismantled it is easy to see the need for only a new, readily available, inexpensive "O" ring.  Well written description.  Thanks.  JB