Skip to main content
Topic: Norcolds and Dometics, Old and New, etc. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Norcolds and Dometics, Old and New, etc.
Yahoo Message Number: 136169
Since discussion has again turned to this type of fridge, do yourselves and your families a huge favor and see the Country Coach Owners group on Yahoo for loads of current and factual information regarding this equipment.
 In summary, I think units perhaps older than 2000 seem to be more safe than newer units.  Consider that there could be a China or other outsource connection to the metal tubing in the newer units.
 The chemicals are corrosive and eat through the tubing and then through the wiring below.  Charcoaled wood has been found in the walls behind refers that were removed before any fire.  So, two separate causes are involved. Add to that the fact that Norcold has begun accusing their own authorized recall shops of improperly installing recall equipment.... With claims now going against others as well, the day should come when shops will not fix your fridge or its recalls. And, always read your latest RV insurance contract small print to be sure you are still covered if there is a refer fire.  My insurance company was out more money than I paid for my house and I do not believe they have been reimbursed even now. Last year someone on the CCO forum said my insurance company would not insure their RV and had referred them elsewhere...
 After five RVS over many, many years, we never had a problem until the Norcold ate our 40-foot 2004 Country Coach in 10/2011.  Lucky we and our little pets were not in it or in a campground next to you.  It was on AC and running perfectly always and had all recalls done. The ceiling became a broiler and the entire interior was toast. We were in our own driveway and close to a fire department, so the undercarriage and outer wall were salvaged. Of course, there was a huge hole in the wall and roof where the fridge used to be.
 You don't want to be in your RV when one of those refers goes off.  You will have about 30 seconds if your lungs can stand the chemicals/ammonia that long. At least you have three doors.

Regards, Terry Apple
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley