Skip to main content
Topic: Low voltage in a cold campground. (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Low voltage in a cold campground.
Yahoo Message Number: 136153
Hi Steve. I'm puzzled why you think that 100VAC would be dangerous to your refrigerator, especially in cold weather. The cooling unit run by the electric  heating element should have plenty of reserve capacity, and 100 volts isn't much  different than 115v. The 12 volt logic board should be unaffected. Maybe  you are thinking of compressor style refrigerators where the start up motor may  have to overcome freon pressure in the compressor 'cylinder' without benefit of  inertia. Most newer refrigerators and air conditioners have scroll type  compressors and not piston. Running a heat pump type heater is about the only  thing that might be damaged by slightly low AC voltage. RonB and a '99TKB named  'Bluebelle'

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Low voltage in a cold campground.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136154
"I'm puzzled why you think that 100VAC would be dangerous to your refrigerator,
RonB and a '99TKB named  'Bluebelle'

The link to this article should take you to the explanation and there are other sources which say much the same thing.
 http://www.uvsconsole.com/clients/howa//files/Understanding%20Your%20RVs%20110v%20Electrical%20System.pdf

That's one reason my surge protector will shut down on sensing a low voltage. The A/C is another reason should it be in use.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136164
My view regarding the refrigerator is that 100 volts AC will not hurt it.  It uses resistance heating which would simply draw slightly less power on low voltage.   It is also my view it is unlikely to harm the power converter provided it was operating at less than 100 percent capacity.  The air conditioner would be the primary issue with low voltage, and especially if it was very hot out compounding any thermal issues from excessive current draw.   My Dometic is rated at 115, not 120 volt AC w/ plus minus 10 percent tolerance.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136165
To add:  If it were mine, I'd operate without any guilt the refrigerator and power converter at 100 volts (with the caveat that the power converter was at moderate output or less in less than blazing hot weather).  I would run the AC down to 103.5 volts in any weather because that is the spec for it.