Skip to main content
Topic: shower leaking somewhere - help (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
shower leaking somewhere - help
Yahoo Message Number: 136058
I use my rig 1988 MB for winter mainly.  Teach skiing on the weekends.  This Christmas break it was extra cold and the water pipes in the shower froze.   Yes, I know, I should have left the heat on, but like sleeping under tons of blankets.  Got home and started trying to track down the leak...floor in front of the toilet and a couple of feet to the right of the door were wet.  Took up the plywood, after removing the carpet and the area under the plywood in the main living area was dry.  Tossed the carpet.  May put down laminate later.  Moved to the bathroom.  Here all carpeting in front of the the toilet and shower was wet.  Pulled it up and tossed it as well.  There is a copper delivery pipe that ran under the carpet along the base of the toilet.  No leak here.  Fired up the water pump and could hear the water spray somewhere under the shower.  How do I take out the shower to find the leak.  I can live with out water for weekends, but come Spring Break I will need the dumb thing fixed.  Hope this post makes sense.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: shower leaking somewhere - help
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 136059
There is a copper delivery pipe that ran under the carpet along the base of the toilet.  No leak here.  Fired up the water pump and could hear the water spray somewhere under the shower.  How do I take out the shower to find the leak.
Never heard of an instance where LD either used copper for water delivery or ran the pipe under a shower pan. Perhaps the copper you are seeing is for propane? Don't have a MB, so don't know your plumbing routing, but my experience says it is usually reasonably accessed.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 136060
Paul,
 Unless you have definitive proof the leak is coming from the shower pipes, I'd recommend having a look at the water pump. A leak at the pump in the MB can show up in the bathroom too, as it's just on the forward side of that wall (which isn't watertight at the bottom).

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 136061
Paul,

To get under the shower is not at all impossible.
 Take apart the driver side sofa so you can have access to the storage compartment under it. That's a matter of taking the screws that attach the movable bed platform to a block of wood that limit the platform's movement. Move the movable platform out of the way.  You could then remove screws that hold the fixed platform in place and remove it as well.  Inside the storage compartment there is a panel on the back of the shower wall.  Take out the screws that hold that panel in place and remove the panel.  You're in like Flynn.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136063
__

Alex,
 Thanks, I'll try it after I get home today.  I know that that water in coming in from under the shower.  NO water under the pump area at all.  The first place I checked.  I can hear the water spray hitting the shower when the pump is running and no faucets are open.

Paul,

Take apart the driver side sofa so you can have access to the storage compartment under it. That's a matter of taking the screws that attach the movable bed platform to a block of wood that limit the platform's movement. Move the movable platform out of the way.  You could then remove screws that hold the fixed platform in place and remove it as well.  Inside the storage compartment there is a panel on the back of the shower wall.  Take out the screws that hold that panel in place and remove the panel.  You're in like Flynn.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136070

Alex,

Thanks, I'll try it after I get home today.

Paul,

Take apart the driver side sofa so you can have access to the storage compartment under it.
Even before that, maybe this:
 There is an opening about 6 inch square in the wall, where one can remove the shower valve (I replaced mine).  Maybe from there you can locate the leak, and only remove couch if necessary.

John

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136071
John,
 Thanks for the input.  Checked that last night and all was dry.  Was hoping that it would be leaking - easier fix.

__ From: jpwoodruff no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:22 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: shower leaking somewhere - help

Shower leaking somewhere - help
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 136062
Don't have a MB, so don't know your plumbing routing, but my >experience says it is usually reasonably accessed.
I second Steve's observation. I have replaced a bunch of $.50 seals on my '93, including the faucets & pump line (+new water pump), over the last few months. In each instance, I've been impressed with how LD designed the layout so that one can easily access practically any point of the rig.
 I have a 22' MP, and simply by taking out the bottom (8 screws) of the "Mr & Mrs" closet, I can access all water lines coming in & going out (from the pump), including the back of the shower.

Btw Steve, we also ended up getting the PD4645.