Skip to main content
Topic: Suggestions for a motoring quest... (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Suggestions for a motoring quest...
Yahoo Message Number: 135980
I just retired.  I will be spending a week or so in Florida visiting family.  For several boring reasons the drive down will be a mad dash. The passengers on the trip down will fly home during the week.  Alone on the way back with no real time schedule I thought the time would be perfect for a RV adventure.  The return trip will likely start on or about 2 Feb.
Any suggestions of out of the way places to stop?
 I was thinking about stopping in the Outer Banks.  I am looking for good photo ops and empty places not swimming. I'm sure there are other places between Coco Beach, Fl and the Carolinas.  I do not really need shore power or other hookups.   I would like to visit places where the low temps do not dip to far below the freezing mark.  Not out of concern for me but concern for the RV.

John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Suggestions for a motoring quest...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135981
I just retired.  I will be spending a week or so in Florida visiting family.  For several boring reasons the drive down will be a mad dash. The passengers on the trip down will fly home during the week.  Alone on the way back with no real time schedule I thought the time would be perfect for a RV adventure.  The return trip will likely start on or about 2 Feb.
 I was thinking about stopping in the Outer Banks.  I am looking for good photo ops and empty places not swimming. I'm sure there are other places between Coco Beach, Fl and the Carolinas.  I do not really need shore power or other hookups.   I would like to visit places where the low temps do not dip to far below the freezing mark.  Not out of concern for me but concern for the RV.

John
Hi John.  When leaving Cocoa Beach, I suggest you consider stopping off in nearby Titusville Fl. Go out and tour the Kennedy Space Center. There are campgrounds in Titusville, but I don't have any knowledge of boon-docking areas.
 As you travel north, give some consideration to traveling the A1A along the coast rather than I95.  You might come across some photogenic areas along this coastal drive.
 While we haven't been there yet, I understand that the relatively new Congaree National Park near Columbia SC is worth a visit.

Best wishes for a great trip.

Bob
2011 MB

Suggestions for a motoring quest...
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135988
John, Seeing the space port is a must do. Also, my favorite campground in Florida (I live here) is Juniper Springs NFS campground on State Road 40 in the Ocala National Forest. It is about a 1-hour drive from the coast. They have canoeing on the spring fed river (about a 4-hour trip) through natural Florida. You can swim in the springs as year round water temperature is 72F. It is dry camping only.
Mike
 I just retired. I will be spending a week or so in Florida visiting family I thought the time would be perfect for a RV adventure. The return trip will likely start on or about 2 Feb.
Any suggestions of out of the way places to stop? .

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135990
John: If you have the time you are in for some real treats. I see that someone has mentioned the Space Center. If you have not been, do not miss it and if it has been a while, go again as they have put tons of $ into making it tourist friendly. Last time we visited we saw the biggest Bald Eagle nest we have every seen and a very large female Bald Eagle sitting in the nest. From there the Canaveral National Seashore drive is a real treat. As someone else has already pointed out, use A1A as much as possible and US 1 when A1A is not available. There are lots of Florida State Parks with RV sites, so when you enter Florida stop at the welcome center and pick up a Florida State Park booklet, you will not be sorry. As you near Jacksonville stay on US 1 and A1A to take the ferry across to Little Talbot Island State Park. If you need a stop for the night, stay here, otherwise continue on us A1A to Fort Clinch State Park. Do the tourist thing here as the fort is quite nice to visit. You can also spend the night here. Going back a bit - if you need a night's stop before the ferry over to Little Talbot, there is a City Park - Kathrine Abby Hanna City Park, right on the beach - the RV sites are a bit inland but a short walk to the beach. From here it is possible to observe Naval ships coming in or out of Mayport Naval Station. If you have time when you cross into Georgia go out to St. Mary's and catch a trip over to Cumberland Island National Seashore. Otherwise you are stuck on I 95 for a while. Go out to Jekyll Island - a real treat. If you catch it a dinner time have dinner at the Jekyll Island Club - an old hotel that the Robber Barons built to stay in while their mansions were being built. If you golf and the wearther permits there is a 36 hole golf set up. When I was there last you could play all day for the price of one round, which was quite reasonable in itself.
Their are RV sites in the area. Again, lots of state parks along the way for you to idle back and enjoy life. If you have time, stop at the Fighting Eighth Air Force museum south of Savannah. Last time I was there I met up with a pilot who actually flew the B-17 which is inside the museum. There is room for an RV to park - we have a LD 30 IB and tow and had no problems. I'll leave you to your own devices on Savannah - the SE Group had a GTG at the Skidaway Island State Park - we missed it but heard it was very nice. Don't know if you are interested in Hilton Head or not but a neat place to R and R for a few days. There is a commercial RV site just as you enter the Island that we like. It used to be a Resorts of America but is no longer affiliated; however, there is a Resorts of America further down island if you would prefer. We've stayed in both and would not hesitate to stay in either one again.

From Hilton Head to Charleston there are two ways to go: I 95 or cutting around on some local roads to catch up to 17 and on the Charleston and Myrtle Beach (our preferred way).
 From here pick up on our blog "Kathy and Bob on the Go" Summer 2012, scan down to Fort Fisher Recreation Area and follow from there. We took several ferries so be prepared to get schedules and prices. We loved it. We came from the north to the south so you will have to trace our route backwards. On the north end of Roanoke Island do not miss Fort Raleigh National Historic Site!

Hope this is helpful!

Bob and Kathy SE 5

__ From: johndacrema no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:08 PM
 Subject: [LD] Suggestions for a motoring quest...

John

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 136001
Quote from: johndacrema

... I was thinking about stopping in the Outer Banks.  I am looking for good photo ops and empty places ...

~~~~~~~~ Hi John,
 Among many other delights to the senses, there are lots of lighthouse photo ops in the Outer Banks.  I'm only familiar with the NP campgrounds within Cape Hatteras National Seashore, but you'd have to do the research to see if they are open during the Winter Season:  http://www.nps.gov/caha/index.htm

Click away and enjoy!

Lorna, Leaving Santa Cruz
2003 RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 136004
johndacrema  wrote: I am looking for good photo ops and empty places --- Not empty, but basing at James Island County Park and visiting  Charleston certainly provides plenty of great "photo ops"! I'm not a "city mouse" in any way, but I found Charleston to be a graceful, charming, colorful place. James Island offers a $10.00 shuttle from the campground to the visitor center; very convenient, parking hassle-free opportunity to leave the rig at the campground and explore the city.
 http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=1434 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 136011
I followed the local links and the National camps are all closed until spring.  I was hoping that they would be far enough south to remain open.  Thanks to the "All stays" and "Camp Where" apps that Joan suggested a year or so ago I found some other spots nearby.  I will not have a toad so may stay on the mainland looking for bird pictures in national and state forest.
 Thanks to all who have replied.  I am already checking some of the suggested places on the web and kind of building a very general rout.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath