Skip to main content
Topic: My solution to improve sound of swivel mount TV (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
My solution to improve sound of swivel mount TV
Yahoo Message Number: 135892
I have the 24' Front Lounge model with Jensen swivel mounted TV near the bed.  When watching from below I swivel it so I face the bed to watch it.  I'm  happy with the sturdy Jensen TV but the sound leaves a lot to be desired.
 My first effort was to patch DVD player into the dash JVC stereo via the auxiliary input.  The sound was good but the location of the rear speakers was a bit distracting.  I usually sat under one or the other speaker and missed the full stereo sound.
 What has worked well is a Bose Sound Dock Portable.  It is a unit which takes an ipod, but it also has an aux input jack.  It is battery or 120 volt powered.  I simply place it behind the TV on the overcab mattress when watching a movie.  I use analog cable between TV or DVD player into the Bose.
 I'm sure for the same $ I could have whipped up something which sounds better using a car stereo amp and some bookshelf speakers.  Either portable or permanently mounted.  I didn't want to mount speakers permanently and I wanted something simple and compact that could be hooked up in a minute.  This Bose fits the bill nicely.  It stows easily in one of the overhead cabinets.  The Bose sounds good size considered, certainly superior to the Jensen onboard speakers.  There is some power behind it, and some bass extension.
 There are numerous ipod type players on the market most with auxiliary inputs.  Most of them would be an upgrade from the TV built in speaker.

Re: My solution to improve sound of swivel mount TV
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135894
I found a better way to improve the sorry Jensen TV speakers. I purchased a Samsung 22" Led TV. The factory speakers in the TV are superior - sound fills the T/K. No messy wires or extra hardware to worry about. The inverter is inside the cabinet unseen.
James 2011 T/K

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135895
James this does go far  beyond the quality of any built in TV speakers (at least on smaller LCD units) for those so inclined to enjoy it. It sounds pretty flat down to about 50 hertz.  While it doesn't sound equal to a full blown home theater, it sounds pretty darn good.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135896
I can appreciate that as we have a Klipsch theater speaker surround sound system at home. Our tiny 24' motorhome contains the sound from better than average TV speakers. I was trying to point out that Jensen is not a quality product. Unfortunately they seem to be the only manufacturer untested in making 12 volt TVs.