Skip to main content
Topic: Approximate Cost To Have Lazy Daze Repainted (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Approximate Cost To Have Lazy Daze Repainted
Yahoo Message Number: 135854
I'm a newbie thinking about buying a used unit. Approximately what is the cost to have one re-painted?

Re: Approximate Cost To Have Lazy Daze Repainted
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135857
" I'm a newbie thinking about buying a used unit. Approximately what is the cost to have one re-painted?"
 The only way to know for sure would be to contact the Mother Ship. But beware it's not cheap. I saw one quote on here for 10K. Yikes!

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135858
I have had a 30 IB repainted for $4000. Striped and finished with original colors

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135859
Yes the mother ship service is reasonably priced yet to have a unit painted or resealed very unexpected price.
While on the subject i recently looked into a new unit and found in my opinion the quality has taken a back seat so to speak. The fit and finish of the three models i looked at lacked from the lazy daze of past. For me this was a disappointment fir an iconic brand.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135863

"...While on the subject i recently looked into a new unit and found in my opinion the quality has taken a back seat so to speak. The fit and finish of the three models i looked at lacked from the lazy daze of past. For me this was a disappointment fir an iconic brand."

John, could you be more specific as to the deficiencies in f & f you found?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 135866
Sure The outside panels at the seams were not flush (on the three finished units i looked at) I also noticed that the painted strips were not as meticulously blended or the final clear was not enough to make the fell of the paint transitions smooth.
Granted

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 135871
On Dec 26, 2012, at 7:21 PM, John Boyd wrote:

I also noticed that the painted strips were not as meticulously blended or the final clear was not enough to make the fell of the paint transitions smooth.
Granted in the past a decal covered these transitions yet I felt that the finish should be smooth even at the paint transitions.
John,
 I'm surprised to hear this. We have a 2009 MB with the new paint scheme. (Ours was the first produced for a customer in that style.) The transitions between the blue & white colors are flawless. I haven't done this in a while, but I'm pretty sure that early on I ran my hands over the sides and didn't feel anything where the color changed.
 If that's not the case with the newest units, it might be that LD took more care with the first ones painted that way, just because they wanted them to look perfect.
 It could also be that in 2009 the RV business was verrrrry slow. (We got ours in less than 3 months from order to delivery.) Maybe the increased number of orders post-recession means more hurry and less attention to such details.
 I'd be curious to hear from others with the "modern" paint scheme, to know what their experience is with this.

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135875
wrote:

The outside panels at the seams were not flush --- I haven't seen a brand new unit in either design scheme, so I can't comment on the current quality of the paint jobs, but *if* you're referring to the very slight seam overlap of the aluminum side panels, this is consistent with every LD of every year. The little overlap "lip" helps to direct water over the seam; if the seams were flush, there would be a much greater chance of water entry no matter how well the seam was sealed.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135877
Joan, The sidewall seam on our '12 are more pronounced than the seams on our '04 were. I know the roof Al thickness has been increased and if a thicker gauge material is also being used on the side panel lap joints the bend radius of those seams must necessarily increase.

John '12 24FD

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135885
I have an '11 24' Front Lounge which was a showroom model.  I'd say the exterior paint is suitable to purpose.  An outdoor stored RV with large surface area of paint.  Mine has the ridges mentioned on the color accents.  The accents appear to be rather heavily applied (which may be a benefit if polishing out scuffs or scratches).  The accents appear to be sprayed over the white.  I don't see any evidence of clear coat sprayed over the accents, at least not overlapping the white paint.  I was happy they are painted accents not decals.
 What I'm looking for as new buyer is the ruggedness and ease of maintenance of the paint.  So far it has met my expectations-it looks great

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 135890
Martha:   We were told our 2008 IB was the first floor model LD produced with the new paint style.   The paint is excellent and I see no flaws in the transitions.  But, as you say, they may have been taking extra care with the first models with this paint job to insure their high quality reputation continued (which it has).   We have owned four LD motorhomes, the first being 1986, and it seems to me the quality is a good as ever.    Gale
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 135891
I wonder if they polished down the edge of the transition?  Thinner coat on the accent?  I'm not the least bit displeased with the quality of mine, but it is clear where the accent is sprayed on mine the depth of the accent paint is noticeable by an edge.