Skip to main content
Topic: Shell Gasoline (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Shell Gasoline
Yahoo Message Number: 135754
We have heard that Shell gasoline is not a preferred brand to buy.
Any comments about Shell?    We use regular gas.   Thanks, Beth

Re: Shell Gasoline
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135755
Well, I've never heard that; however, I used Shell regular almost exclusively for over 10 years, putting about 110,000 miles on my 1997 V10. It now has 175,000 miles, still runs as well as it used, no engine repairs beyond one blown plug.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135756
Quote from: worldvagabon"

Any comments about Shell?    We use regular gas.  Thanks, Beth
 Well it's certainly not the cheapest.  I, for one, believe "gas is gas".  So I always consider the offer price at the gas pump.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135758
Beth
 A quick Google search brought up little in the way of negative postings about Shell.
Any links to your source?

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135760
I have always thought of Shell as the gold standard for gasoline.  And often the highest price in an area, which is why I rarely buy it.  Shell is also the major producer of aviation fuel, both Avgas and Jet fuel.  Saying Shell gasoline is not a preferred brand is like saying Apple or BMW are not preferred brands.

Dick

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 135762
For what reason?  I've never heard that one shouldn't buy Shell gasoline.
 We very seldom fill up at a Shell station, mainly because where we live in Washington State there aren't any convenient to where we usually are traveling around and in Arizona where we spend the winters, there are no Shell stations.  We try to fill up at the station with the cheapest price regardless of brand.
 The times that we have run across a Shell station, they usually have higher prices than other stations nearby.  However, if they had prices equal to or less than other nearby stations, we wouldn't have a problem using them.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135763
Quote from: Linda & Earl Hylton"

"We try to fill up at the station with the cheapest price regardless of brand."

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com

To All...
 Here in NorCal there are plenty of Shell stations and yes, they are among the highest in price. However, our 'Lucky' grocery has a 'Reward' card that will get you a discount on gas (up to 25ยข/gal) at the local Shell Station. That's the only way I'll buy from them.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135765
"We try to fill up at the station with the cheapest price regardless of brand."

Linda
 My philosophy is the same. I have burned the cheapest gas for decades and never had a bad tank, well, we did get a bad batch of water in Mexico once.
The way our LD burns gas, I tried to do what I can to reduce operating cost (around 15,000 gallons so far), as long as it does not cause headaches.
Through the years, I have tried many brand and never seen a difference in mileage or had a fuel-related problem. YMMV
 Gas is commodity, the major differences between one brand and the next is the additive package. I visited a major fuel distribution facility several years ago and was shocked to see the same gas going into tankers labeled with various brands names, the only difference was the additive package added during the filling process.

If I had 'my own brand', it would be ARCO

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135766
A quick Google search brought up little in the way of negative >postings about Shell.
Any links to your source?

Larry
Years ago - like when 'cheap' regular went for around $0.25/gal - I remember the consensus opinion among many drivers was that Shell was problematic and at the bottom of the brand names as to quality. This was before even 'text' internet, and certainly none of those metrics would relate to current refining, delivery, source, or quality. Still, word-of-mouth myth dissemination is a powerful thing that can persist for generations...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 135767
"Years ago - like when 'cheap' regular went for around $0.25/gal

Steve
 That would have been a long time ago. The last time I remember gas being $.25 a gallon was when I was in high school, 45 years ago.
Our age is showing.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 135768
That would have been a long time ago. The last time I remember gas >being $.25 a gallon was when I was in high school, 45 years ago.
Our age is showing.

Larry
Well, I moved to CA in '69, got the '62 Bug in about '70, and the gas was probably Terrible Herbst, in San Fernando. So, pretty close...
 And, I think I remember a bad experience back then with Shell, but with only 6V to work with, I was lucky to get a spark at all on any gas!

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 135769
Quote from: worldvagabon"

Hello Beth!
 This message is intended to provide you with my opinion, but also with a reliable, well tested and reliable way to select the gasoline brand that is best for a gasoline engine used in current production vehicles sold in the USA.

1.  Check to see if the manufacturer of your vehicle has a gasoline brand recommendation.  If they do recommend, there will be several brands listed and you cannot go wrong by using one of them.
 (Some years ago, we splurged for a new BMW Sportwagon.  BMW, we found, then had a list of several gasoline retailers whose products BMW had reviewed and recommended.  That affected our purchase decisions, as our 'favorite' retailer was not on the list.) 
2.  Currently, several vehicle manufacturers have joined together in a program to provide their buyers with a tested and recommended list of gasoline brands / retailers.  That program is entitled "Top Tier Detergent Gasoline"  The current vehicle manufacturers sponsoring this program are:  BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi.
 The web site that describes this program, including the technical basis for the test standards, is:  http colon // www dot toptiergas dot com/index dot html    As a matter of personal choice, we follow the recommended 'Top Tier' list with one addition:  Having looked into the gasoline additive practices of 'Costco', we also use their gasoline without hesitation.

3.  Our 12 year old Sportwagon still runs like it did when new.  The fuel injectors and spark plugs are still the original ones and the fuel mileage and performance are still as new. It worked for us!  We only put around 36,000 miles on either of the Ford based Born Free and Lazy Daze motor homes we had, both had no fuel based problems but that mileage is probably not enough to be controlling.

4.  Fuel Additive comments:  Depending on the climate in which you RV lives, not using a fuel additive can result in a lot of grief for an RV owner.  Storing an RV with a mostly empty fuel tank for a winter season in a damp climate will result in some water in the fuel tank.
 Some additives, often alcohol based, will ensure that the gasoline will mix with that water.  Some additives will not do so.  A full gasoline tank mostly obviates that water collection.
 I personally use a multi-purpose gasoline additive (I'm not recommending that you do so just because I do.).  It noticeably improves fuel combustion in some engines and improves fuel 'tank life'.  (My lawn mower and lawn edger fuel tanks live through the winter without noticeable fuel deterioration and the idle on both units is noticeably improved when the additive is added.  I notice improved 'hot start' in my Buick V-6.  Our Sportwagon gets no additional fuel additives and runs excellently. I used PRI-G in both our RV's.  Their engine smoothness was excellent and fuel mileage was with the best we see reported on this BB.  Since I always used it, I have no comments on how they would have run without it.  Who knows - They might have been just fine!)

The additive I use is PRI-G and is sold by Camping World.
 There you have it.  More than you ever wanted to see in a reply.  Sincere best wishes in your selection of an excellent fuel brand!

Don McG, EX- LD MB

PS.  Shell is on the approved "Top Tier" Supplier List!

Any comments about Shell?    We use regular gas.  Thanks, Beth

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 135771
Many, many years ago in the days of leaded gasoline, Shell gasoline caused some problems for two stroke motorcycles.  That is long gone.
 FYI, when you fill up at a gas station you never really know where it came from.  All companies share the same storage terminals.

-- Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 135774
I think with the name brands (Shell, Chevron, Texico, etc.) your paying for advertising.
I use the GasBuddy APP to find the cheapest price possible. Never seen any noticable difference in performance or mileage one brand from the next Mexico being the exception. The PEMEX gas sometimes is such a low octance you get pinging.

Bob

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 135776
"aq433"  wrote:
 Years ago - like when 'cheap' regular went for around $0.25/gal - I remember the consensus opinion among many drivers was that Shell was problematic and at the bottom of the brand names as to quality. This was before even 'text' internet, and certainly none of those metrics would relate to current refining, delivery, source, or quality. Still, word-of-mouth myth dissemination is a powerful thing that can persist for generations...
--- I have a friend who warned me against using Shell gas because it caused "sticky valves". I asked the source of that information; the reply was "Well, when I was living in New York, it was just common knowledge."  I pointed out that even if the "sticky valve" thing HAD been true at the time, th living in NY part was 60 years ago!
 As Steve says, perceptions (and misperceptions) can and do persist for a long time!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 135777
At 09:34 AM 12/18/2012, you wrote:

That would have been a long time ago. The last time I remember gas being $.25 a gallon was when I was in high school, 45 years ago.
Our age is showing.
Yep, that's about right. I could fill up my tank and drive to work every day for a week for only $2.50. And it was a 30-mile round-trio commute.

Sonsie

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 135778
"Larry"  wrote: That would have been a long time ago. The last time I remember gas being $.25 a gallon was when I was in high school, 45 years ago.
Our age is showing.
--- As I remember - I'm considerably older than Larry! ;-) - the girls in my gang would scrounge for pop bottles (2 cents max per regular-sized bottles, often just a penny, and Par-T-Pak bottles for 3 cents) and turn them in at the local market to get enough for a couple of gallons of gas for the 1940 Ford coupe that belonged to one of the girls. We'd put in about 45-50 cents or so worth (about two gallons of "ethyl"; gas was never cheap on the central coast!), cut school, and drive to the beach.

Yes, a '40 Ford could hold ten teenage girls. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Shell Gasoline
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 135779
Joan wrote:

As I remember - I'm considerably older than Larry! ;-) - the girls in my gang would scrounge for pop bottles (2 cents max per regular-sized bottles, often just a penny, and Par-T-Pak bottles for 3 cents) and turn them in at the local market to get enough for a couple of gallons of gas for the 1940 Ford coupe that belonged to one of the girls. We'd put in about 45-50 cents or so worth (about two gallons of "ethyl"; gas was never cheap on the central coast!), cut school, and drive to the beach.

Yes, a '40 Ford could hold ten teenage girls. ;-)
Ah yes. I remember in north Seattle in 1953, Marty's Eagle service at 117th st and Bothell way (now Lake City way) with regular at 19.9 cents.
Living up the hill on 117th, I would push my out of gas car a few feet and coast all the way down and up to a pump at Marty's. I'd put in about 25 cents worth and drive to high school. 1940 Chevvy coupe.

Tom

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 135781
Well, since $.25/gal and VW's have been mentioned, I'll chime in.  I started driving/borrowing Mom's car in 1954 and remember paying $.25/gal, and when I started buying VW busses (1959 on), a couple mechanics advised me to stay away from Shell gas as it was "too hot" for our engines - so I have, and still do.

Barb & Gypsy '93 TK and '71 VW Adventurewagen
1992 22' TK

Shell Gasoline
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 135782
Well, since $.25/gal and VW's have been mentioned, I'll chime in.  I started driving/borrowing Mom's car in 1954 and remember paying $.25/gal, and when I started buying VW busses (1959 on), a couple mechanics advised me to stay away from Shell gas as it was "too hot" for our engines - so I have, and still do.

Barb & Gypsy '93 TK and
Did these two "mechanics" try to sell you new radiator hoses too?  ;^)