Skip to main content
Topic: sorry--need more feedback from the list (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
sorry--need more feedback from the list
Yahoo Message Number: 135748
Well, after a trying unsuccessfully to get a few other things fixed that were not going right with repairs, I insisted that the front end/alignment/steering be checedk by the reputable Ford Truck Service Center here in AZ.
 Instead the repair shop took it to one of their RV people, a Charlie Echols.... his report was it was "within specs" and the reason it is "wandering" and there is so much play in the steering wheel now is because the rear springs are sagging and it is unloading the front end....???

Having had it to the same Sanderson Ford Service Center in April of 2010, and having driven it back and forth to Northern Ca. to AZ, AND not experiencing any such issues with the rig, and it being parked til the accident, i find this strange, and more than a little suspicious.
 This is a 30ft. IB, 1998...has anyone else ever had this announcement made concerning 'sloppy' steering?? Has anyone on this list had to do anything about 'sagging springs' and if so, what are we talking about in the way of cost?

Any information or feedback concerning the springs, and issues with steering would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I did NOT have any such issues before the accident.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: sorry--need more feedback from the list
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135749
I cannot offer any experiences with spring sagging, etc. But I would ask has your frame been checked to make sure it's straight since the accident? My understanding was the rear was lifted with a forklift at some point and it has wrinkled the rear coach bodywork.
If the frame isn't straight you will have no end of problems. I'm sure you don't want to hear any of this and I hate to aggravate the situation. I would think about hiring a lawyer.
You may be able to get a knowledgable expert to testify your rig should have been totalled. And I am sure you just want this nightmare to end. Good luck with all things.

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135772
Hello Gini!
 Gini, In my opinion, The ONLY way that the front end/alignment/steering could be competently checked would be to level the RV and use instrumentation to record the actual alignment of the front AND rear wheels with respect to the factory specifications for your RV.  The results would be available in a printed report that identified the Ford specifications, allowable tolerances and exactly where your RV was measured, hopefully within those tolerances.  If they did not give you or show you that report, you did not get what you asked for!

And on the other hand:
 Also note that a typical cause of 'road wander' in a RV is that it is not loaded correctly.  According to what Henderson's in Grants Pass, Oregon told us, the most common user fault for our Ford Chassis Class C's is that the front axle is not evenly loaded fairly close to, but definitely under, its rated maximum load.  If the load bias is the other way around, you can experience a wallow somewhat akin to a  porcine with well greased hindquarters.

Don McG, Retired Journeyman Mechanic, Retired Professional Engineer, EX- LD MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135908
I have a 22' 1982 and we had the rear springs redone 5 yrs ago and it made a *huge* difference.  Not just a little but the difference between a cold sweat every time a semi passed on the freeway and being ok to drive with one hand on the wheel occasionally. (not that it is advised):-)
 Was seriously considering the steering stabilizer contraptions but no need for them now.

Jared

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]