Skip to main content
Topic: Ajo Mountain Drive - Organ Pipe NM (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Ajo Mountain Drive - Organ Pipe NM
Yahoo Message Number: 135713
Has anyone driven their 23.5'/24' LD on Ajo Mountain scenic drive in Organ Pipe National Monument?  The road information on the NPS website states:
 "The most popular is the Ajo Mountain Drive. It is a 21 mile, mostly gravel road usually passable by normal passenger car. RVs over 24 feet are prohibited, due to the twisting and dipping nature of the road."
 I'm good with "twisting and dipping" gravel roads, but since I don't tow, I'd appreciate first-hand experiences from anyone has done this road in a 23.5'/24'.
 I'd also be interested in hearing any personal experiences, tips, suggestions, caveats, and/or comments from those who have traveled recently in the Ajo area and into Organ Pipe NM. Thanks.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Ajo Mountain Drive - Organ Pipe NM
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135715
On Dec 16, 2012, at 1:20 PM, jctaylor1941 wrote:

I'd also be interested in hearing any personal experiences, tips, suggestions, caveats, and/or comments from those who have traveled recently in the Ajo area and into Organ Pipe NM. Thanks.
Hi Joan,
 Bernie and I love Organ Pipe NM and have been there several times over the years, including before they closed the too-isolated, right-along-the-border road because it was no longer considered safe. Losing access to that day-long drive was a shame, because it was extremely beautiful. (There's a natural spring along the route that's a bird oasis in the desert. I spent some happy time there one year with my camera and deeply regret not being able to do so now.)
 That said... the shorter, one-way Ajo Mountain Scenic Drive is also very beautiful, open to the public, and worth the trip. We haven't ever taken our 27' LD out on it, just gone in our car. My memory is that yes, there are twists and dips but not so bad that a smaller LD couldn't manage it if driven slowly and carefully (as you would certainly do). I don't remember any RV-sized pull offs along the route, but there are plenty of spots where the shoulders are flat desert terrain, so I'm sure you could easily pull over to enjoy the scenery without blocking the road.
 In April 2011, we camped at Organ Pipe for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It's a well-maintained and safe-feeling campground with lots of natural plants and birds and spectacular scenery. Especially gorgeous at sunset! One day, we drove straight south to the border hamlet of Lukeville for lunch. (Slim pickings, but we found a little Mexican cafe on the main street in town. Food was okay. I think I remember a grocery store there too.) The town has a guarded border crossing and seemed safe enough in the daytime. Lots of patrols on the road heading north into the monument.
 The hamlets of Ajo ("garlic") and Why are both north of the national monument. Not much to say about either of them, but they do offer grocery stores, restaurants, and a few commercial campgrounds. I highly recommend the CG in the monument, rather than those nondescript commercial ones further north.
 We're hoping to get back to Organ Pipe NM this spring for our second camping experience there. Our previous one was so positive that we feel no trepidation whatsoever at being so close to the border.
 While this may not be precisely the info you're looking for, I hope it helps!

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135717
On Dec 16, 2012, at 2:12 PM, captjack100 wrote:

We drove the road once in our Subaru Forester and once in a Park Service vehicle. I think it would be a mistake to use your LD. There is (as I recall) an organized tour in their vehicle that is inexpensive. You just need to sign up at the visitor center. Its a beautiful park this time of year!
I didn't know about the organized tour possibility, but if Capt Jack is correct, then I think Joan would be well advised to take it. No reason to risk damage to a motorhome if there's another alternative available.

Martha

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135718
wrote: There is (as I recall) an organized tour in their vehicle that is inexpensive.  You just need to sign up at the visitor center.
--- Yes, there is a van tour, and this is definitely an option; I was considering driving the rig to have use of the onboard "facilities" and to not have to leave the dog in the rig at the campground! ;-)

The NPS website states:
 "January through March a free three hour ranger guided van tour is available."

Thanks for the information.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 135721
Joan, we didn't do it in our LD, but we did drive it with a dually truck.
This was several years ago, so perhaps the road has been improved, but it was VERY rough and I would not drive it again in anything with dual rear wheels.  If you do decide to drive your LD on this road, just be prepared to go very slowly and plan on twice the time they say it *should* take.
 I didn't see any reference on the Park's NPS website that said anything about an organized tour in a Park vehicle...that may be something they've discontinued because of budget constraints.  But ask when you get there...that, IMO, would be preferable to using your LD.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135724
We drove this loop a couple of years ago in our toad...a 2003 Saturn L300, a garden-variety sedan. I don't recall the ride being particularly bumpy, but I do recall one particular dip that was quite steep with the uphill slope quite close to the downhill slope...so much so I commented to WFP that I could see how an RV or long auto/truck could get hung up with real damage being done and no way out except by skyhook.
 It is a lovely drive and has some nice turnouts to stop and view, photo and have a lunch. We really enjoyed our trip through Organ Pipe and would like to return in the (near) future.

TinaP 2006 LD

2006 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135730
Hi Joan,
 We've been to Organ Pipe many times but not recently.  Love the place.
 I haven't taken my LD on the Ajo Mountain loop, but in 2004 (? pre-LD) we did take our truck camper around the loop.  The vehicle was a 1998 GMC 1-ton extended cab pickup, dual rear wheels (and Michellen LTX tires) carrying a
9.5 ft slidein camper.  Bumper to bumper length of 22.5 ft.  Wheel base  of
 156-inches(?).  Actual weight 10,500 lbs (Yes, I was 500 lbs over the GVWR but did not exceed the axle ratings.  This was our normal road condition.).
As I recall the loop was all gravel with some tight turns and a few signficant dips, but nothing that I thought was "technically difficult." The truck had 4WD, but there was nothing in the loop that required it.  We stopped part  way around the loop to hike up to "somebody's Meadow."  It was a reasonably challenging hike.  I have taken both the truck camper and the LD  on much more difficult routes.  Unless the condition of the loop has changed I would probably not hesitate to try it in my 2005 MB; except for the park's restriction and possible fines.  You might inquire at the ranger station or visitor center about it.
 Organ Pipe is an interesting place.  As I recall, from the park entrance signs to the campground is about 20 miles.  The campground is only about 5 miles north of the Mexican border.  The Border Patrol (now CBP) patrols the campground regularly as it is a convenient "pickup point" for illegals.  The last time that I was there the campground had no hookups.  The campground was divided into two areas; one where gensets could be run and one where gensets were not allowed.  They did have a nice dump station at the south (?) end of the campground; a "3-holer" as I recall.  The campground was quiet and the sunsets were absolutely outstanding.  It is a great place to just relax.
 Be sure to visit the town of Ajo which is an old copper mining place.  It has some neat little shops.
 On the way into Organ PIpe I usually "gas up" at the little community of Why; at the junction of AZ 85 and AZ 86.  I don't believe that there is a service station in Organ Pipe, but may be one at the U.S. community (can't remember the name) at the Mexican border.
 I am sure that you have already studied the map.  Organ Pipe is on AZ 85 right at the Mexican border.  From I-10 you can take AZ 85 south from Gila Bend, which we have done several times.  You also can take AZ 86 from Tuscon west to AZ 85 and then go south.  AZ 86 crosses the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation and the highway is patrolled by the tribe.  As I recall they strictly enforce speed limits,  (Revenue for the tribe, which is a relatively "poor tribe.")  The "highway patrol" used to  use brown Jeep Cherokees, like mine, except a lot faster.  If you go via AZ 86, notice the many "memorial sites" (flowers, crosses, etc.) along the road.  I talked with a "tribal highway patrolman" about these.  He told me that most of these were for young male tribe members that had killed themselves in a single car accident while  under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
 When are  you planning to go to this area?  Are you headed further east towards Nogales, etc.?  We have been to much of that area many times.  We are headed in that direction about the third week of January on our way to New Orleans.  If you wish, we can discuss off line.

Doug

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135733
AZ-86 is an interesting road to travel if you're interested in unusual sightings.
 Crested Saguaros are very rare...something like 1 in every 250,000.  In Saguaro NP, there are over 25 that have been found.  However, along AZ-86, we've spotted three of them, all on the north side of the road!  There's one at what may have been a highway maintenance yard where you can stop and get a closer look.
 http://www.nps.gov/sagu/naturescience/why_crested.htm

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton