Skip to main content
Topic: Scangauge II Mounting (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Scangauge II Mounting
Yahoo Message Number: 135711
I recently purchased the Scanguage II unit and was thinking about how to mount it.
I have the LD dash cover and don't want to cut holes in it. Looking for ideas on how to mount it without causing damage. The included velcro doesn't look up to the task.

Bob

What do you do if you come up to a bridge like this one?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135712
Not sure where I got this video, if here I apologize for the dup:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kInz19rzcYg&feature=youtu.be

and his web site (info on the videos):

http://11foot8.com/
 Be sure to see the 5th wheel, he went slow to slowly damage his rig.

He says the average getting "ripped" is once a month.
 I was wondering at what heights would you stop just to play it safe. If in the country and it would be miles out of the way what would you do?
 Would you get out and measure the bridge? I think I would get out and put out some traffic cones and then drive up to the bridge and go a couple of inches at a time.
 Do you carry a measuring pole? I assume any crown or dip in the road would complicate things.
 I assume you measure an empty rig but how much do you trust your measurements and how do you test them? And what safety do you allow ( like 6 inches ?)? Do you trust factory specs?
 My guess someone in the truck repair business puts pressure to keep the authourities from fixing the problem (by lowering the road). I think I would stay away from Durham, there are other bridges there that lower trucks according to the article.
 The article seems to hint that there might be a height sensor down the road. I think he says that the lights "start" flashing. Has anyone ever come across this before? I never heard of this. I think if people knew that the flashing was for them they would take it more serious, but how many times do we see flashing lights for everyone?

Has anyone experience something like this before? What do you do?

Found this site that lists bridges 14' and under:

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html
 But I do not see the 11'8" on the site. But lots of bridges in Durham.
 There is a 8 foot bridge in NC !!! Bet this would get a LD. Tough state on campers and trucks. This site gets my bookmark.

TIA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: What do you do if you come up to a bridge like this one?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135714
The classic solution is to let almost all the air out of your tires, and proceed very slowly to the next gas station or tire shop.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135720
I've seen this video!
 EVERYONE should know the height of their rig!  There is absolutely no excuse for the accidents shown in the video, *especially* by the local delivery trucks...they should not only know how tall their rig is, they should know to avoid this particular overpass!
 If necessary, put a sticky on your steering wheel or someplace else where it easily seen from the driver's seat that shows the height in both feet and in metric (in case you're in Canada).
 If we came across a bridge that was lower than we were high (and we *have* done that), we would NOT go under it, no matter if we had to back up 10 or more miles!  The extra time and fuel it costs to go around is a far sight cheaper than paying to fix the roof you just tore off your rig!

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135723
"He says the average getting 'ripped' is once a month."
 It's easy to say, as some YouTube commenters have, that the stupid drivers should read the signs, but my feeling is that any structure that cause one accident a month needs to be remediated. If it isn't, and the highway department responsible is obviously aware of the hazard, then I'd think there are grounds for a lawsuit.
 "I assume you measure an empty rig but how much do you trust your measurements and how do you test them? And what safety do you allow (like 6 inches?)?"
 Here's what I did. With my 2003 midbath fully loaded (except for me), I measured from the ground to the rooftop. Then I climbed up and measure from the rooftop to the top of the air conditioner, which is the highest structure on the rig. (I don't count the CB and dashboard radio antennas, because they are flexible... and in any case, not hard to replace if damaged.)
 I came up with 124", or ten feet four inches. I rounded it up to eleven feet just to be safe. So I could make it under that 11' 8" bridge in the video... but I don't think I'd want to try.
 I used my Casio label printer to make a label that I mounted on the metal curtain rail in the cab, just above my line of sight when I'm in the driver's seat. It says "Weight: 7 tons / Height: 11 feet". Whenever I see a clearance or maximum-weight sign, I have only to glance upward to verify that my rig can safely traverse the road.
 So far, I've only encountered one situation where I was over the weight limit. When traveling to El Vado Lake State Park in New Mexico, I mistakenly took NM Route 112. As of June 2009, this road had 16 miles of unpaved one-lane washboard, ending in a blind 90 degree turn. Around that corner, I found myself facing a shockingly narrow one-lane road across El Vado Dam, with a forest of signs warning of a five ton weight limit and 30' length limit.
 I couldn't back up because I was towing, and couldn't turn around in the cramped space between the turn and the dam itself. I would have had to unhitch the car, maneuver it and the rig separately out of the trap, then re-hitch, drive over the 16 miles of washboard road, and find another route.
 So I drove slowly and carefully across the dam. It was an earthen dam, so there was little chance that my rig's two extra tons would cause it to collapse... but it was scary just the same, with water on one side and a steep 75-foot drop-off on the other. It's not an experience I'd care to repeat.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Scangauge II Mounting
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 135729
I mounted mine on top of the steering column using 3-M dual-lock. Easy to run the wire from there too.

bumper

bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135731
"The article seems to hint that there might be a height sensor down the road. I think he says that the lights "start" flashing. Has anyone ever come across this before? I never heard of this. I think if people knew that the flashing was for them they would take it more serious, but how many times do we see flashing lights for everyone?

Has anyone experience something like this before? What do you do?"
There are tunnels on two of the major highways into the City of Pittsburgh and both of these tunnels are equipped with Over Height light and sensor systems.  I also believe, these type of systems are in place on other tunnels along major highways along the East Coast.  In general, they seem to work.  But, every few years someone will drive an over height truck into the tunnel and wedge it tightly in place.  Of course a major traffic jam follows.
 This topic reminds me of an issue that relevant to the group.  When we planned our return trip to Pittsburgh post delivery of our LD, we arranged to pick up our daughters at the Denver Airport along the way.  They were eager to experience the new RV and wanted to ride home with us.  After getting their flight info., I reserved an overnight at the KOA East near Denver.  After making the reservation, I asked the campground host if there was anything I should know about picking up someone in an RV at the Denver Airport.  She said, "whatever you do, don't pick them up at the Arrival Area.  There is a low bridge along the way and it will take the roof right off your RV.  It happens too often.  Arrange to pick up your kids at the Departure Area." I am very thankful for that heads-up.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135739
Thanks George.
 I'm going to try what you did with the supplied velcro strip. I like this idea. No drilling, and being able to move the display around for different lighting is a big plus.
 I think this Scangauge is a bargain. I payed $150 shipped. When my "service engine soon" light came on went to Ford Dealer and they wanted $90 just to hook up their scanner.
 With the Scangauge  I scanned the code, cleared it and it hasn't come back

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135742
"It's become somewhat of a game watching the MPG indicator and trying to get the best numbers without making the drivers behind me mad."

Bob
And what tickles me in particular is watching the MPG readout when you are on a downgrade and it comes up... 9,999mpg!  Whoopy, that's my kind of mileage.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 135743
"The article seems to hint that there might be a height sensor down the road. I think he says that the lights "start" flashing. Has anyone ever come across this before? I never heard of this. I think if people knew that the flashing was for them they would take it more serious, but how many times do we see flashing lights for everyone?
On one narrow road descending the east slope of the Cascades in Oregon, there is a 'width' sensor with flashing lights shortly beyond, and a warning sign that if the lights flash - you shouldn't attempt that route. They did not flash for our '83FL, and it was tight, but passable.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 135744
So the prices have really came down on these. I see Amazon has the Scangage II for $125 or so and the Scangage E for $94 has anyone used the E model.... It seems more of a trip computer but also has most of the scan tool features...

Garry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 135747
wrote: On one narrow road descending the east slope of the Cascades in Oregon, there is a 'width' sensor with flashing lights shortly beyond, and a warning sign that if the lights flash - you shouldn't attempt that route. They did not flash for our '83FL, and it was tight, but passable.
--- There's no height problem (14' 7" clearance) on the Hood River/White Salmon bridge over the Columbia, but it's the narrowest bridge that I've crossed in the LD; since the total width of my rig including the mirrors is over 112", I pulled in the mirrors on both sides and paid *very close attention* to my lane position!

From the website:
 "This is a very NARROW bridge. The width of a lane from center is 9 feet, 10-3/4 inches. The width of a lane between the edge of the centerline stripe to the face of the bridge guardrail is 9 feet, 4-3/4 inches. Large RVs are advised to cross at Cascade Locks or The Dalles. The height restriction is 14 feet 7 inches."
 I agree with the caution that Cascade Locks or The Dalles are smarter crossing points for widebody rigs! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 135757
This topic reminds me of an issue that relevant to the group.  When we planned our return trip to Pittsburgh post delivery of our LD, we arranged to pick up our daughters at the Denver Airport along the way.  They were eager to experience the new RV and wanted to ride home with us.  After getting their flight info., I reserved an overnight at the KOA East near Denver.  After making the reservation, I asked the campground host if there was anything I should know about picking up someone in an RV at the Denver Airport.  She said, "whatever you do, don't pick them up at the Arrival Area.  There is a low bridge along the way and it will take the roof right off your RV.  It happens too often.  Arrange to pick up your kids at the Departure Area." I am very thankful for that heads-up.

Bob
 Unfortunately, Blue met the sign just before this tunnel the hard way.  The instructions WERE to go to arrival area (height of Blue was given), and there is a 1/4 mile slow ramp to the left, WITH NO WARNING SIGNS!  I saw the sign that send 9'3" clearance ahead, pulled to the left and hit the brakes hard, but still wiped out the AC shroud on the warning sign!!  Oh, and I had a chickey on my tail, who would have gotten a nice black tank surprise, had she not dodged to the right!!  A policeman witnessed the entire thing, said it happened at least ONCE a week.  I had to back up the entire way, with this poor brave cop walking behind (no one slows or stops there!).  Letters to the transportation department and the mayor of Denver were ignored.  Not only was the incorrect info given out, to two different requesters, is it too difficult to move the sign "caution, low clearance 1/4 mile" to the main road to avoid the issue to start with? This gave Blue a royal headache, and me a nasty opinion of the City of Denver!

Lisa and Ghost Rider
2005 RB