Skip to main content
Topic: Off Topic - Need Tape (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Off Topic - Need Tape
Yahoo Message Number: 135536
You folks are always discussing glues, tapes, etc. so I have a question for you.  I need to tape a plastic instrument window to the back of a steel panel.  Previously, it had been taped down with masking tape, but that dries out in time and becomes worthless.  I want a one-sided tape that can be placed over the edges of the plastic piece, and glue it down to the metal panel.  It needs to be long-lasting, very good adhesive, and stand up to moderate heat from the instrument.  Probably something made by Scotch or 3-M.  Two-sided won't work as it would hold the window away from the panel.  I looked through all the listings at Home Depot, but don't see exactly what I am looking for.  Any ideas?

Re: Off Topic - Need Tape
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135537
I"M 1 day old here. Here is a sight i found when i had a motorcycle.
Its for adhesion glue this to that.
Here is the site.
Jack

http://www.thistothat.com/

__ From: Richard w6ccd@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:43 PM
 Subject: [LD] Off Topic - Need Tape

You folks are always discussing glues, tapes, etc. so I have a question for you. I need to tape a plastic instrument window to the back of a steel panel. Previously, it had been taped down with masking tape, but that dries out in time and becomes worthless. I want a one-sided tape that can be placed over the edges of the plastic piece, and glue it down to the metal panel. It needs to be long-lasting, very good adhesive, and stand up to moderate heat from the instrument. Probably something made by Scotch or 3-M. Two-sided won't work as it would hold the window away from the panel. I looked through all the listings at Home Depot, but don't see exactly what I am looking for. Any ideas?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135545
You may want to look into Gorilla Tape.  This is a very sticky one-sided tape made by the Gorilla Glue folks, and commonly available at hardware and home center stores, It is more hefty and more sticky than duct tape.  It has fabric in the structure.  I don't know about its response to elevated temperatures.  To avoid a mess, I think I would try it on a piece of scrap steel, in an oven set at 200 for a day, and see if it becomes a gummy mess or if it holds up.  If it holds up I think it would meet your needs.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135548
For high heat applications, considering using a metal tape with a high-heat adheasive, 3M has several different types.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTt5xfX4xs6EVtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=433_433L.pdf

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)