Skip to main content
Topic: LaCrosse Radio Controlled Clock (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
LaCrosse Radio Controlled Clock
Yahoo Message Number: 135376
Has anybody's LD supplied LaCrosse clock reset yet for daylight savings time?  I have this one and another that is supposed to set by radio control and neither has reset yet.
2002 MB

Re: LaCrosse Radio Controlled Clock
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135380
"Has anybody's LD supplied LaCrosse clock reset yet for daylight savings time?  I have this one and another that is supposed to set by radio control and neither has reset yet."
Roger
 I do not have the LaCrosse clock but with mine I have to set Daylight/Standard time manually. Should I not set it to the correct hour/minutes it will self correct the next time a radio signal is broadcast.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135385
Don't have your clock, but most so-called 'atomic' clocks that reset the time by WWV also have a setting for DST enabled or no. Make sure yours is set for that, since not all areas of the country observe it.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135387
Remember during the Bush administration we changed the dates for the flip to DT. If you have had the clock for more than a few years, it may be configured to flip on the old dates.   I have an older Panasonic digital TV, and a Radio Shack atomic clock that are both off an hour for a few weeks per year.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135393
" Remember during the Bush administration we changed the dates for the flip to DT. If you have had the clock for more than a few years, it may be configured to flip on the old dates."
 This is exactly what was wrong with mine. It didn't update on the proper date but weeks later.  After some Google Searches I finally figured it out.

Bob

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 135394
Is a radio controlled clock different from an atomic clock?
 I ask because we have an atomic clock that we've had for many years, and I thought the instructions we got when we got the clock said it was updated from the atomic clock in Boulder, CO.  What I do know is that it doesn't make any difference when the time changes from standard time to daylight savings time and back again, the clock updates automatically.  The only change I have to make is in the spring when we're usually in Arizona.  Since Arizona doesn't go on DST, I have to change the time zone on the clock from Mountain to Pacific.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 135395
" Is a radio controlled clock different from an atomic clock?"
 Yes it is. My clock says radio controlled on the face. This might help: Some manufacturers refer to their radio controlled clocks as "atomic clocks", which isn't really true. An atomic clock has an atomic oscillator inside (such as a cesium or rubidium oscillator). A radio controlled clock has a radio inside, which receives a signal that comes from a place where an atomic clock is located.

Bob

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135396
Bob nailed it. I'll just add that a true atomic clock will generally run you $10,000 and up--this is not a consumer item! All the so-called "atomic" clocks you find in stores are really just radio-controlled.
 And for you trivia buffs, I'll also note that SF author Robert Heinlein predicted exactly such a development in his 1940 story "Blowups Happen":

Harrington glanced at his wrist watch—a bulky affair—and whistled. "Good heavens," he exclaimed, "I forgot the time! I'm supposed officially to be at the Flagstaff Observatory."
 King had automatically noted the time shown by the Captain's watch as it was displayed. "But it can't be that late," he objected. Harrington looked puzzled, then laughed.
 "It isn't—not by two hours. We are in zone minus-seven; this shows zone minus-five—it's radio-synchronized with the master clock at Washington."

"Did you say radio-synchronized?"
 "Yes. Clever, isn't it?" He held it out for inspection. "I call it a telechronometer; it's the only one of its sort to date. My nephew designed it for me. He's a bright one, that boy. He'll go far."

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135397
I think the term "atomic clock" is in reference to the synchronization with a time standard that is controlled by an "atomic" standard.  It's true they receive radio signals from the National Standards Bureau, but even aerospace standards laboratories get their time in that manner.  The accuracy of these so-called atomic clocks for the home is nothing to be sneezed at.

I have a GPS time standard receiver that synchronizes with the cesium standards on the GPS satellites.  These time standard receivers are used by the telephone companies to maintain synch between stations.  The short-term stability of my receiver is 1 or 2 parts in 100-billion!  It's very fascinating to watch as the frequency standard in my receiver adjusts to the signal from the GPS satellite.

Dick

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135398
"The accuracy of these so-called atomic clocks for the home is nothing to be sneezed at."
 True, and I didn't mean to criticize these clocks. I think radio-controlled clocks are a great convenience, and I wish all clocks had this feature. I was just nitpicking the use of the word "atomic" by some manufacturers and marketers.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 135399
Trouble with my Lacrosse. After only 9 months of ownership the replace batteries indicator lit. After replacing the batteries carefully and according to the manuals instructions, the outside temperature reading failed. I repeated the procedure 3 more times: no outside temperature reading! Anyone here have this problem? How did you fix it? James 2011 T/K

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 135401
Trouble with my Lacrosse. After only 9 months of ownership the replace batteries indicator lit. After replacing the batteries carefully and according to the manuals instructions, the outside temperature reading failed. I repeated the procedure 3 more times: no outside temperature reading! Anyone here have this problem? How did you fix it? James 2011 T/K
James, I fixed mine by just buying a new sensor for $14.00.  Great Big Outlet is the place La Crosse gave me to order parts.  My part # was TX37U-IT.  Here is the site, give them a call if you don't see exactly your part #.  http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/

Joe Hamm

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 135402
"...I didn't mean to criticize these clocks. I think radio-controlled clocks are a great convenience, and I wish all clocks had this feature."

Andy Baird
If you folks want the whole story you can turn to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_clock

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 135403
Trouble with my Lacrosse. After only 9 months of ownership the replace batteries indicator lit. After replacing the batteries carefully and according to the manuals instructions, the outside temperature reading failed. I repeated the procedure 3 more times: no outside temperature reading! Anyone here have this problem? How did you fix it?
On our several year old LaCrosse clock, the initialization sequence appears to be important.  It appears that during a restart, the clock only looks for a remote for a short time and records whether it is present or not.  If it doesn't see it right after start up, you have to remove the battery and try again.  I always take my remote temperature sensor, make sure it has a fresh battery, place it near the clock and then insert the new clock batteries.  After things are working, I put the sensor and clock back where I mount them.

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 135404

James, I have a Lacrosse weather station and after having problems, found emailing the La Crosse help tech useful.  After several exchanges, it was determined I had a faulty setup and it was replaced. You can scroll through their website and get to the right help contact.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 135407
I do not have a Lacrosse but had this same thing with my SkyScan.  Remedy (for mine anyway) is to set the outside unit next to the inside unit until temp reading is there, on mine I then have to leave it for x amount of time util the reading is accurate. Hope this helps!

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 135412
Thanks for the reference Steve.  Interesting read.  And I knew what you meant Andy.  I have been a licensed amateur radio operator for 61 years, and time and frequency standards have always been one of my primary interests.
The wiki article talks about an optical (laser) atomic clock, which is currently the most accurate clock