Skip to main content
Topic: New Eureka article on internet connections (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
New Eureka article on internet connections
Yahoo Message Number: 135220
For what it's worth, I've just rewritten and posted a new version of the Eureka article "Keeping connected"--
 http://www.andybaird.com/Eureka/pages/connected.htm

--which was overdue for an update, due to changing technology. I hope it'll be helpful to folks considering the various ways of getting online while on the road.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: New Eureka article on internet connections
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135222
Very nice, Andy.
 I'd just add Starbucks as a free wi-fi location. They saved our bacon in the fairgrounds in Sonora, CA when even with an antenna and amplifier we could not get Internet on our Verizon modem.

best, paul

"When you arise in the morning, think of****

what a precious privilege it is to be alive...****

to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."****

~ Marcus Aurelius

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135225
Andy, You mention dial-up modems becoming obsolete.  Did you know that Apple dropped support for dial-up modem use from OS X, way back

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 135227
Andy, You mention dial-up modems becoming obsolete.  Did you know that Apple dropped support for dial-up modem use from OS X, way back

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 135233
Thanks for the tips, Dave and Howard. I've revised the article to mention Apple's dropping of support for dialup modems in 2009, and added a link to SurplusMeter, which looks very useful.

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135234
Thank you so much, Andy!  You are a prince among men, for sure.

I wonder if Millenicom works
1997 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135238
Well, there *used* to be Verizon service in Alaska...there was in 2001 on our last trip up there.  Of course, it wasn't every place considering there are huge chunks of Alaska without ANY cell service!
 But, to answer your question, if you have the Millenicom plan that is Verizon based, and you don't have Verizon service where you are, then no, it won't work.  How about Sprint?  Millenicom does have a plan based on Sprint service.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, Millenicom doesn't have an AT&T-based plan.
 As for your cell phone working with the same phone number, yes, as long as you have cell service, the same phone number works anywhere.  It'd be a huge PITA if you had to change phone numbers each time you moved from one place to another!

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135244

"I wonder if Millenicom works in Alaska, since we don't have Verizon up here??  Does anyone know?"

Kristin
Yes Kristin it does. I can say that without reservation because I spent 2½ months in Alaska just this past summer. I used my Millenicom Modem/Router while sitting at Mtn. View Campground just outside of Palmer. Even though Verizon has no network in Alaska they do lease broadband space from AT&T and my Verison phone and modem both worked like a charm.
 One caution however... Millenicom warns it's customers to NOT use their system in Canada or Mexico because you will incur heavy 'roaming' charges. They specified non-use within 50 miles of the border.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 135251
Verizon charges $2.05 per MB for data in Canada.  I assume Millenicom's charges would be the same or more.
Linda
 Prior to departure for Alaska I called Millenicom in regard to using their system in Canada. I was told that if I were to use it I could expect VERY heavy roaming charges and that I would NOT be happy with the bill when it came in. They specified that I be well within the U.S. border (50 miles) before attempting to connect on the Millenicom System.
 I followed their advice religiously, relying instead on Wi-Fi Hot-spots that I encountered along the way.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 135260
"does your cellphone also work with the same phone number?"
 As mentioned in the Eureka article, Verizon assigns a separate phone number to each device--aircard, USB cell modem, or MiFi. You'll probably never see that number unless you look for it on your bill, but it's not the same as your cell phone's number.
 However, if you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android phone), Verizon's "Share Everything" plan will let you have two or more devices--phone, tablet, cell modem--billed to the same account, and share internet bandwidth between them.

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 135261
"For Windows PC usage monitoring I would recommend Networx."

Thanks, Jim--I've added a link to it in the Eureka article.

Andy Baird