Skip to main content
Topic: Living Long Term with Arby - The Portable Surge Guard And Marinco (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Living Long Term with Arby - The Portable Surge Guard And Marinco
Yahoo Message Number: 135137
It will only take one hands-on experience with bad camp-ground power to make you a believer in Surge Guard. The portable model that Arby uses will get the job done but it has some distinct disadvantages that you need to consider. In addition, spending almost $40 for a shore power cord only one foot long seems ridiculous but it is something I should have done.
 Here's the direct link to the details: http://flic.kr/p/dteN7y

Thanks for visiting,

George

Re: Living Long Term with Arby - The Portable Surge Guard And Marinc
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 135141
It will only take one hands-on experience with bad camp-ground power to make you a believer in Surge Guard. The portable model that Arby uses will get the job done but it has some distinct disadvantages that you need to consider. In addition, spending almost $40 for a shore power cord only one foot long seems ridiculous but it is something I should have done.

Thanks for visiting,

George
George, I use the portable SurgeGuard and sheath it in a plastic bag when installed on the pedestal hoping that potential thieves will think the wrap is for rain protection. I also have a length of chain and a padlock I can use to secure it to the pedestal when in a less secure area.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 135143
George, Thanks for your wonderful comments and photos of your LD "Arby" on Flicker.  Very helpful!
 And...did I see that you have sold "Arby"?  Have you purchased another LD or another type of RV?

David (1998 MB LD)

__ From: deadstroke_98 poolplayer@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:34 AM
 Subject: [LD] Living Long Term with Arby - The Portable Surge Guard And Marinco

Thanks for visiting,

George

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 135147
Thanks, Chris.
 I'll pass the info along to the new owners. The padlock on the Surge Guard cord lock could also secure the cha

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 135148
Hi David,
 We have sold Arby and he should be picked up next week if things go according to plan. That's why I'm pushing hard to finish the series of Arby posts for the new owners information.
 I do not think we'll ever have another RV. The kind of trips we foresee taking

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 135152
"deadstroke_98"  wrote: The padlock on the Surge Guard cord lock could also secure the chain to the pedestal.
--- I rarely hook up, but when I do, I secure my Progressive Industries portable EMS to the pedestal with a length of chain and a padlock.  The drawback with depending on the chain as a theft deterrent is that the size/weight of chain that will fit through the hole is not a real obstacle to anyone with bolt cutters bent on pinching the EMS.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

I think that a length of 3/8" plastic-coated stainless steel cable (strung through the hole, then looped and secured at each end) would probably be a better choice; something else to put on the "to do" list!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home