Skip to main content
Topic: Alcoa Wheels - Install Question (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
Alcoa Wheels - Install Question
Yahoo Message Number: 134990
LDers,

I have recently installed Alcoa Aluminum Wheels on my 2007 26.5 RB.

My installer encountered two issues;
 First, the rear axle covers did not fit with one Alcoa wheel and the  original steel wheel.  His opinion was the combination was too 'thick' for the axle cover to fit.  He thought with two Alcoa wheels it would fit.
 Second, front axle cover did not fit either.  He tried to install it through the back of the wheel but it was too large.  I emailed the folks I bought the wheels from and they said the front cap installs under the lugs.  This seems to me to be problematic.  There's only a small lip or flange around the bottom of the cover, this would surely cause the lugs to be out of alignment and not sit flush against the wheel surface.
 I am waiting for more info from the wheel seller but, I wanted to hear any info/experience you folks might share.

Thanks,

Ken Hald 2007 26.5 RB Red Rocket West Liberty, IA

Re: Alcoa Wheels - Install Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 134991
Ken,
 I thought the idea of using aluminum wheels was to then do away with the covers entirely.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 134992
I emailed the folks I bought the wheels from and they said the front cap installs under the lugs.  This seems to me to be problematic.  There's only a small lip or flange around the bottom of the cover, this would surely cause the lugs to be out of alignment and not sit flush against the wheel surface.

Hi The sellers told you correctly.  - the caps do install under the lug nuts. It is not problematic at all. Also you can't put two Alcoas on each side of the rear. One Alcoa and one OEM  is correct.
Tom

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 134996
What Tom said.

Also, the pneumo-wrenches that tire shops use on the lugs will probably beat the heck out of the sides of the cover - the only defect in the appearance, I think.
 One more thing: maybe apply a layer of anti-seize grease where the Al wheel meets the steel axle in inner wheel.  Otherwise the rear outer can be a devil to remove.
 Back in msg 90212 I wrote from the 2008 caravan in Baja about the tire guy who struggled to remove the Alcoa so he could repair the flat inner.  Tom was on that trip -- How have you been, Tom?

John

Zenni Optical
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 134997
Andy do you still recommend Zenni for glasses (since 2009)? They are so cheap it seems unbelievable.

If they tripled their prices it would seem more real.

FYI your link is somewhat off from

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylarking/2009/10-pittsburgh.htm

it goes to Zenni but to a page they do not have.

For others here is the link to their home page

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Are the titanium-alloy frames--ultra-flexible frames like Flexon frames ?

Flexon = $250 Zenni = $25

???
 My Flexon frame has lasted me over 15 years (with several changes of lens)and I have rolled over on them several times, but I would like to get a spare set

thanks

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Alcoa Wheels - Install Question
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 134998
Back in msg 90212 I wrote from the 2008 caravan in Baja about the tire guy who struggled to remove the Alcoa so he could repair the flat inner.  Tom was on that trip -- How have you been, Tom?
Hi John We have been fine, thanks. How about you two?

Yes, I remember the fight they had to get your wheel off. Funny thing though, mine have never been a problem to get off. No corrosion at all. I did not need to use anti-sieze. Did you ever use your rig where the roads had been salted?
 That was a great trip. Good tour group. I'd like to do a similar tour again but I guess B & B not longer exists.

Tom

Re: Zenni Optical
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 135005
"do you still recommend Zenni for glasses (since 2009)"
 Absolutely. When my prescription changed last year, I bought another two pairs of glasses from them: one pair of progressive, photochromic bifocals in plain gold-finished metal frames, and one pair of single-vision computer glasses in silver memory-titanium frames. The progressive glasses cost $98.95 and the computer glasses cost $23.95. Shipping for both was $4.95.
 "Are the titanium-alloy frames ultra-flexible frames like Flexon frames?"
 I have no experience with Flexon frames, but Zenni's memory titanium frames can be just about tied in knots, yet spring back into shape perfectly. And remember, I paid $23.95 for these frames *including* prescription lenses, case, and clip-on sunglasses.
 I agree that the prices are almost unbelievable, but I've been using Zenni for six years, and the only problem I ever had was when one older pair's bridge snapped after a couple years of use. It was a double-piece bridge, so the glasses held together. I was able to repair the broken piece with shrinkable tubing, so the glasses were still usable and even looked good, but I chose to get new ones since my prescription had changed. The old ones are in my "bug-out bag" as emergency spares.
 "My Flexon frame has lasted me over 15 years (with several changes of lens)"
 Well, I can't match that. :-) But my current Zenni glasses have been in use for about 18 months without a problem. While Zenni do guarantee their products, they won't fit new lenses to your frames--presumably because you'd have to mail them back to Hong Kong, and that wouldn't be economical. They'll simply make new glasses for you.

Thanks for the tip on that broken link, by the way--I've fixed it.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135008
Ken,
 The sellers are correct. The covers go outside the wheel and under the lug nuts. And if I recall correctly you use different lug nuts supplied by Alcoa. And you use the OEM steel wheels on the inside rear.
 You can solve the problem caused by the typical air impact wrench banging up the axle covers by providing or insisting the installers use an extension between the impact wrench and the socket.
 I second the suggestion to use some anti-seize grease on the flat surfaces where the inner steel wheels and the outer aluminum wheels meet on the rear. Most anti-seize comes
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV