Skip to main content
Topic: My Freind's New Lazy Daze (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
My Freind's New Lazy Daze
Yahoo Message Number: 134924
I joined this club a fews years back with plans on buying the best class C built.
I ended up buying a 1961 gm bus. They have one thing in common, very well built! My freinds, Brian&Elaine Redmond just bought a 97 lazy daze MB.I am helping them winterize it and I believe there are no bypass shutoffs for the hot water heater. Would We be better off to install one or just blow the lines out and add anti-freeze? I read 7 gallons of it, and recover it in the spring.I think it  would be hard to get it out of the water heater and into a jug.
Another question, will the converter over charge the house batteries if left plugged in ?

Thanks, Mike

Re: My Freind's New Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 134934
    Another question, will the converter over charge the house batteries if left plugged in ?
As a SoCal owner, I can't comment on winterizing - but on the second issue, 'YES', if the converter has not been upgraded. Even if it has, battery electrolyte level should be kept up. Setting up a timer to provide a 1-hr a day charge or so would be a better solution to full-time power.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: My Friend's New Lazy Daze
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 134940
"will the converter over charge the house batteries if left plugged in?"

In a 1997 rig? Yes.
 Easy solution: get an inexpensive household electrical timer and set it to provide one hour a day of power to the rig. You'll need an adapter to go from the 15A timer  to the rig's 30A shore power cord, but that's something your friend ought to carry anyway. You can get both the timer and the adapter at Walmart for under $15 total.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 134949

In a 1997 rig? Yes.
 Easy solution: get an inexpensive household electrical timer and set it to provide one hour a day of power to the rig. You'll need an adapter to go from the 15A timer  to the rig's 30A shore power cord, but that's something your friend ought to carry anyway. You can get both the timer and the adapter at Walmart for under $15 total.

I have it plugged in with the propane furnace on 60,for a week or so till We get it winterized, It should be ok where I'm using battery power?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 134960
The furnace blower takes lots of power.  Why not set the thermostat for 40 deg F!  Jack in windy Reno.  Sno tonite! I would not want to take a chance for the price of propane ! have had a freeze up in my house before!

In a 1997 rig? Yes.

I have it plugged in with the propane furnace on 60,for a week or so till We get it winterized, It should be ok where I'm using battery power?
 How about if You are at a camground for a week? You wood want the 30 amp to the motohome all the time not just an hour a day.,thanks Andy.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 134965
At least on my thermostat, the lowest setting is 50 degrees...I *wish* I could set it for 40 degrees~!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 134971
"How about if You are at a camground for a week? You wood want the 30 amp to the motohome all the time not just an hour a day."
 Sorry--I assumed that we were talking about storing the rig over the winter. (The original question said "I am helping them winterize it...") if you're living in the rig in a campground, then of course you'll want power all the time. Nevertheless, you do need to keep an eye on your batteries' water level with those old Parallax 6345 converters, because they're pretty crude.

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135007
"What wood You replace [your converter] with Andy?"
 When I bought Gertie, the previous owners had already replaced her Parallax 6345 converter with a 2,000 W Trace modified sinewave inverter/100 A three-stage charger that powered all AC outlets and devices. (She also had four AGM batteries instead of the usual two flooded-cell Trojans.)
 When I bought Skylark, I replaced its stock 7345 converter with a 2,000 W Xantrex proSINE 2.0 pure sinewave inverter/100 A three-stage charger that powers all AC outlets and devices. (I also replaced the pair of Trojans with five group 27 AGM batteries.)
 These were expensive upgrades, and most folks don't need or want that kind of power. A more common approach is to replace the old Parallax converter with a Progressive Dynamics 45 or 60 amp three-stage charger, which is a drop-in replacement for the original unit. The advantage is much faster charging that is also safer for your batteries, and no overcharging.
 "Also did You install bypass shutoffs to the hot water heater in Gerdy or Skylark?"
 With Gertie, I winterized by blowing out the lines with compressed air and pouring pink antifreeze into the drains. The only time I ever had a problem was when I let Camping World do it for me one year, and they failed to drain the sink sprayer. It froze, cracked, and leaked when I restored water pressure the following spring. Fortunately, it was easy and inexpensive to replace.
 Because I was already a fulltimer when I bought Skylark, there has never been a reason to winterize this rig. I simply head south. :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 135011
"What wood You replace [your converter] with Andy?"
 When I bought Gertie, the previous owners had already replaced her Parallax 6345 converter with a 2,000 W Trace modified sinewave inverter/100 A three-stage charger that powered all AC outlets and devices. (She also had four AGM batteries instead of the usual two flooded-cell Trojans.)
 When I bought Skylark, I replaced its stock 7345 converter with a 2,000 W Xantrex proSINE 2.0 pure sinewave inverter/100 A three-stage charger that powers all AC outlets and devices. (I also replaced the pair of Trojans with five group 27 AGM batteries.)
 These were expensive upgrades, and most folks don't need or want that kind of power. A more common approach is to replace the old Parallax converter with a Progressive Dynamics 45 or 60 amp three-stage charger, which is a drop-in replacement for the original unit. The advantage is much faster charging that is also safer for your batteries, and no overcharging.
 "Also did You install bypass shutoffs to the hot water heater in Gerdy or Skylark?"
 With Gertie, I winterized by blowing out the lines with compressed air and pouring pink antifreeze into the drains. The only time I ever had a problem was when I let Camping World do it for me one year, and they failed to drain the sink sprayer. It froze, cracked, and leaked when I restored water pressure the following spring. Fortunately, it was easy and inexpensive to replace.
 Because I was already a fulltimer when I bought Skylark, there has never been a reason to winterize this rig. I simply head south. :-)

WE should be safe, We blew out the lines, including the lines to the toliet and the sprayer, unhooked the shower head, got anti-freezeto the cold water lines, gonna add more anti-freeze tomorrow to get it through the hot water side just to be safe.gets cold up here in Maine!! I ma so glad I talked my freind out of the motorhome he was looking at before this one.I do believe that Lazy Daze is the best class C built.I am glad I joined this group. When My old bus gets to much for Me I will buy a MB.I did buy  your cd  a fews years back and really enjoyed it. Thanks again Andy.