Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical system questions (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Electrical system questions
Yahoo Message Number: 134897
Looking at the LD manual that shows the electrical distribution (diagrams #3 & #5 in my 2007 LD manual) it doesn't show a transfer switch, but I'm assuming there is one. If there isn't one, what happens when you turn on the generator and you're connected to shore power? And if there is one, which is the primary power source?
 I've looked at the poor excuse of manual for the power center 7345 and at their web site but no schematics or even a block diagram.
 And if you've added an inverter, did you add a Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)? If so what did you use to handle the 3 possible sources of AC? (Shore power, generator, and inverter) Or did you replace the Power Center? Or are you just not tying the Inverter output into the power center or it's equivalent? And if you did it looks like the inverter would try to charge the batteries that it's using? The Power center doesn't seem to have much capability.

Jim S

Re: Electrical system questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 134899
Jim, I'll give it a shot.
 There is a transfer switch.  It is physically on the back of the power distribution panel.  It automatically deals with selecting either generator or shore power, delivering that power to the power panel.
 I have a whole house inverter.  I THINK (but am open to correction) that it takes power from either the power panel or, when manually switched on, the batteries.  It then outputs 120v power to the outlets.  My power distribution panel sends 120v power from either shore or generator to the AC/heat strip, the inverter, and the refrigerator, but NOT to the outlets.  That 120v power comes only from the output of the inverter.
 When outside 120v power is coming into the "inverter" it is actually coming into the converter, which outputs 12v power to the batteries and the 12v system.  When the whole house inverter is running, its output goes to the 120v outlets, but not to the converter, thus not to the batteries from which it is drawing its power.
 Hopefully if I made mistakes the electrical gurus on here (Andy, et al) will let us know.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 134902
Looking at the LD manual that shows the electrical distribution >diagrams #3 & #5 in my 2007 LD manual) it doesn't show a transfer >switch, but I'm assuming there is one. If there isn't one, what >happens when you turn on the generator and you're connected to shore >power? And if there is one, which is the primary power source?
Jim,
 I'm curious as to why you would start the genset if you are connected to shore power?

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 134907
"I'm curious as to why you would start the genset if you are connected to shore power?"
 You probably wouldn't have any reason to do it except for testing purposes. But for the record, the automatic transfer switch will ensure that nothing bad happens. I believe the generator takes priority over shore power in that situation.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 134925
The ATS is NORMALLY wired so that the generator taks priority, this was based on the philosophy that the generator startup was intentional so you must want it to provide power. This philosophy was of course before the use of auto start generators was very common. You can wire it to make whichever feed you desire to be the priority feed, not very difficult, but really kinda pointless.

Dave W Sitting at homebase
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.