Skip to main content
Topic: Today's flashlight bargain (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Today's flashlight bargain
Reply #50
Yahoo Message Number: 135323
Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 am (PST) . Posted by:

"EdwardA" edward_abrams
 "A very tired and very WET pack mule showed up on the Outer Banks of NC Wednesday, November 21. I can honestly say things are looking brighter.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone"
 My mule made it last night and sadly rolled over and called it quits.

A short review of the UltraFire WF-502B compared to the Fenix TK30.
 For the money, the UltraFire is an exceptional value, no question. The light has five modes, 3 steady (low, med, high) and two flashing, strobe and SOS - (unlike all the other too-slow flashing SOS modes I've seen on other flashlights, this one is properly timed and reasonably fast).
 The UltraFire output claim of 1000 lumens on brightest mode is a bit of a stretch when compared to my Fenix TK30 (which claims 820 lumens), the Fenix illuminates objects more than twice as far away as the UltraFire. The Fenix has 4 steady modes, and for nearby (200 to 300 feet) objects the illumination level of the UltraFire on high mode is right between The Fenix's mode level 2 and 3. Part of the Fenix advantage is due to it's larger better focused reflector, as the center even "hot spot" of the Fenix beam is 1/2 the diameter of the Ultrafire. The UltraFire has more fringe brightness, comparatively speaking.
 The build quality of the UltraFire is more than remarkable given the low price. You won't find any of the high quality gold plated springs and contacts that Fenix uses, but the UltraFire is substantially better quality than other "cheapie" LED lights I've examined. In particular, the LED module with its robust aluminum heat sink looks to be well designed and executed.
 I have not done runtime tests, though these specs are available on-line for the Fenix, expect less than half the runtime with the UltraFire as it uses one 18650 battery compared to the Fenix TK30's two.
 The one thing that's slightly frustrating about the UltraFire is it's lack of a decent  "mode memory". When you turn it off and then back on, it comes on in the next mode in sequence (i.e. if it was last on in steady low, it'll come back on in strobe and require four light pushes of the button to get back to steady low).

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Re: Today's flashlight bargain
Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 135325
Bumper, thanks for posting your comparison of the UltraFire WF-502B and the Fenix TK30. It's really helpful to hear from someone who has both flashlights side by side.
 About the "mode memory": mine comes back on in whatever mode it was in when I turned it off. Half-pushing the power button cycles through the modes, while fully pushing it turns the light on or off in a given mode. But it's worth noting that mine has only two steady brightness levels (four modes total), so it may be a different revision from the five-mode flashlight you got.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"