Skip to main content
Topic: 4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY
Yahoo Message Number: 134811
I read an article in the Journal this morning concerning the resurgence of wildlife populations in the US. Since the human population has also expanded, it means we are neighbors with them now more than ever.

Two stats I wanted to share with you.
4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY.
The annual costs of vehicles hitting deer is 1.5 Billion.
 Deer normally forage just before dusk. [Tho, I commonly see them chowing down at mid day now, as they feel no threat] Anywho, driving at dusk increases your chances of being one the 4,000. If one comes through the windshield, you will probably not be reading this forum again.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: 4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 134813
"4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY.
If one comes through the windshield, you will probably not be reading this forum again."

Don
 Take some advice from the Australians, who regularly hit kangaroos, install a roo-guard bumper. They are designed to keep large animals from coming over the top of the hood. Should work well on pigs too.
ARB has some nice ones for your Jeep Liberty.
http://www.rocky-road.com/kjbump.html. I suggest full skid plates to keep the undercarriage safe too.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 134815
I hit one in 1977 near Boulder, CO.  I was driving a brand new Toyota Celica hatch-back.  Don't want to ever do that again!

Dale

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 134816
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 16:40:05 -0000, "Larry" wrote:

Take some advice from the Australians, who regularly hit kangaroos, install a roo-guard bumper. They are designed to keep large animals from coming over the top of the hood. Should work well on pigs too.
Thanks Larry. I feel we substantially reduce our risk by not driving during prime browsing times and both of us keeping a lookout at other times. I wanted alert the city folks who may not realize the very high incidence of deer collisions that happen every day.
 A LD couple hit a deer in CO in September. And almost got hit again a few weeks later. Stuff happens. Be safe out there.
 If you have the stomach for it, Google deer collisions and look at the pictures.
 Wyoming has motion sensors to detect elk and warn drivers at favored elk crossings.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 134817
A few weeks ago, I found a link to a radio call-in show (maybe here?) where a woman called in and wanted to know why the state put deer crossing signs in heavily-traveled areas...why couldn't they put them in areas where there was little automobile traffic so the deer could cross there!

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 134818
"Linda & Earl Hylton"  wrote: A few weeks ago, I found a link to a radio call-in show (maybe here?) where a woman called in and wanted to know why the state put deer crossing signs in heavily-traveled areas...why couldn't they put them in areas where there was little automobile traffic so the deer could cross there! --- She wasn't the first! ;-)
 http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/deercrossing.asp 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 134820
State Farm has projected the collision potential with deer for every state. LDers will want know which states to avoid: should it be Pennsylvania (115,571), or Hawaii (134)? OK, lets strike Hawaii - District of Columbia (495)?
 http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/_pressreleases/2012/october/23/likelihood-of-collision-2012.pdf

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 134827
"Don't want to do that again!" Do what? Drive another Toyota Celica? ? ? ? .....Don't feelbad...I hit a guard rail avoding one of them #&^*ing Doe being chased by a dog

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 134829
Wat to go Linda!!!!!... Gene

__ From: Linda & Earl Hylton elh3946@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:22 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: 4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY

A few weeks ago, I found a link to a radio call-in show (maybe here?) where a woman called in and wanted to know why the state put deer crossing signs in heavily-traveled areas...why couldn't they put them in areas where there was little automobile traffic so the deer could cross there!

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 134840
Has anyone had any results (good or bad) with those deer wistles that mount on your front bumper?  I recently bought a used car that has two of them and I don't know if they have some value or are just junk!

Glen w/SOB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 134843
Weeeellllll, FWIW, Glen, I've had them on my vehicles for years...and SO FAR, I ain't hit anything..now that I've opened my big fat mouth, I'll probubly hit a HORSE!!!!  Gene da gonna B

__ From: "Glen R. Fotre, CCIM Life Member" ccim@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:42 AM
 Subject: [LD] Re: 4,000 drivers will hit a deer TODAY

Has anyone had any results (good or bad) with those deer wistles that mount on your front bumper?  I recently bought a used car that has two of them and I don't know if they have some value or are just junk!

Glen w/SOB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 134846
Well some people swear by them, but most scientific studies I've seen about them would indicate that they do little or nothing.  I've never had them and have never hit a deer (knock on wood ;>} ).  I recall reading a discussion about deer whistles, where someone with deer whistles, had hit deer twice.  My own personal opinion is that they work well in fattening the wallets of the manufacturers.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 134847
I can tell you of my experience with them.  I have hit a deer broadside with our Jeep, and a friend had one jump from a bank onto the front fender of his GoldWing which messed him up pretty bad.  When we got our first GoldWing, we had several close calls with deer.  Especially when riding with our friends in the GWRRA group.  Lived in Oregon at the time.  I decided it was time to try the deer whistles.  After I put the whistles in the front fairing, we never had another incident with deer.  Many times we would see one or more near us, but they would just raise their heads and listen, but not move.  My friends teased me about using "snake oil", but they never had a problem with deer when riding with us.  It is very important to keep them clean.  If they get full of bugs they are worthless.  The ones I have used are the SAF-A-LIFE brand.  YMMV, but I believe in them.

Dick

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 134848
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, older_fossil

Well some people swear by them, but most scientific studies I've seen about them would indicate that they do little or nothing.  I've never had them and have never hit a deer (knock on wood ;>} ).  I recall reading a discussion about deer whistles, where someone with deer whistles, had hit deer twice.  My own personal opinion is that they work well in fattening the wallets of the manufacturers.

Art

This report backs you up, Art. http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/02111812.htm
 As some say, if you have them and don't hit a deer, they work. I've hit two with my '02 LD - 1st time no damage, 2nd time about $700 in parts and my labor to install them (grille assembly and headlight). Both deer survived.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB