Skip to main content
Topic: Japan Tsunami: Then and Now... (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Japan Tsunami: Then and Now...
Yahoo Message Number: 128859
Though none of us LDers will likely ever RV cruise in Japan, it's remarkable to consider the recovery and reconstruction thus far. Next week will be the 1st Anniversary.  Reuters published a neat set of 28 pictures (http://news.yahoo.com/photos/tsunami-then-and-now-slideshow/wave-tsunami-crashes-over-seawall-miyako-photo-120250437.html); you'll see the effort the photographer went to in order find exact locations.
 I did hear recently that a few years ago, Steve did build/ship a few right-drive, narrow LD units to China. Can anyone verify? --  Jack
Jack - Teal 2003 IB31
Southeastern LD  #19 •• Southwestern LD  #14  ••
LD Caravan  #2999

Re: Japan Tsunami: Then and Now...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128901
Jack,
 Yesterday, while at the showroom talking to Todd, my wife noticed several LD advertizing posters on the wall written in Japanese. She questioned what they were about. Todd said they sell LDs through a dealer in Japan. They are slightly narrower than the U.S. product and have a few other differences to comply with Japanese requirements. The Japanese dealer is the only dealer LD uses. As I recall, Todd said they sell between 8 to 12 per year.

Gerard

__

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128903
Thanks Gerard for confirming. Glad your wife asked Todd; now we know! I believe the Japanese versions are the former standard width coaches; before LD widened to 99 inches
Jack - Teal 2003 IB31
Southeastern LD  #19 •• Southwestern LD  #14  ••
LD Caravan  #2999

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128905
Gerard Sorry we did not have more time to share thoughts. Predicted rain was on target; in fact we got over 2" of snow here in Beaumont, CA. Our sparkling new coach isn't so sparkling today. I drove home very nicely in the rain.
We are still outfitting our LD and then back to Arizona.
I hope Todd treated you well and helped you make a decision. We will look you you next time we head for Oregon. The park we are in at Lake Havasu City always has spaces in case you travel our way (winter only).
James

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128906
Thanks Gerard for confirming. Glad your wife asked Todd; now we know! I believe the Japanese versions are the former standard width coaches; before LD widened to 99 inches in 1996 models.
Safe Travels --  Jack
The LD's I saw being shipped out to Japan were the standard width chassis. No identifying decals were applied. When I questioned this, as I recall, I was told they are sold as "Bonanza's" in Japan.

John '04 23.5FL

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128907
"J d Walker"  wrote: before LD widened to 99 inches in 1996 models.
--- LD did go to a 99" coach width in 1996, but only for the 26.5' and 30' models; the 23.5' retained the narrower coach width until the 2003 model. (2003 was also the same model year that LD went to the E450 for the 23.5'; that's why I waited! ;-) )

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 135869
What campground would be good/not expensive/friendly/etc??

Thanks!  Kristin
I'm not sure about campgrounds, but I wouldn't expect any tsunamis that far inland.
Tom

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 135876
Hmmm...don't know what this has to do with Tsunamis!
 Anyway, you can certainly stop in Lake Havasu City if you want, especially if you need to stock up on supplies before arriving in Quartzsite.  But, it's any easy one-day trip from Las Vegas to Quartzsite, so you wouldn't have to stop and spend the night...unless you want to see London Bridge (big whoop).

We've never stayed at an RV park there, but if you're interested in boondocking, I can recommend a couple of places.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 135881
How funny!  That will teach me to hit "reply" to a message on this group!  (note to self:  always start a new topic if you want to ask something!) --k
1997 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 135888
Kristen - Lake Havasu City is having its 3rd annual Balloon Festival from Jan 18-21. It's centered around the London Bridge area. I made reservations to park my RV there for three days at $18 a night for dry docking close enough to walk plus free shuttle to balloon festival. Check their website.
 http://www.havasuballoonfest.com/Index.html

Patty

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 135900
Kristen and Patty - Regarding Boondocking in Lake Havasu City Arizona, please be advised That unlimited Boondocking is available less than 1 mile from London Bridge! Where? Simply cross London Bridge headed west and in about 1 mile you will see beachcomber Boulevard, take a right On beachcomber Boulevard go past Crazyhorse RV Campground And you will then see open land with fingers and coves jutting out into the lake! In the next 2 miles you will see three small lighthouses that are replicas of famous lighthouses (mostly back east). Literally all of this open area for 2 miles is available for unlimited Boondocking, be aware there are no facilities whatsoever.  On the positive side the sunrises and sunsets are not to be believed, there is a 3.6 mile walking/biking path going around the center of the island which is easily takes one back to London Bridge in 15 minutes And the area is abundant with wildlife Including shorebirds in the marshes, the fattest coyotes I Have ever seen, and at least one 3 legged  bobcat seen yesterday morning! The quiet solitude of the days and nights is unbroken by city sounds, no sirens, no traffic noise etc. There is the occasional ATV ripping around in the drainage ditches usually only between the hours of three and 6 PM. Views of Lake Havasu are the best in the entire area with a backdrop of the surrounding mountains! It is possible to park ones RV within 30 feet of the Waters edge although there is usually a drop off to hike down to the actual beach area. After Boondocking here for over one month as far as I can tell it is a totally safe area, but be aware it is not patrolled by any type of law-enforcement, And to me The safety aspect is reinforced by the number of locals that use the area, especially the walking/biking paths during the day. Because of the coyote presence one should always accompany their leashed pets when out for a walk and of course pets should not be left outside overnight. This entire area of vacant land is known as "site six " on Havasu island and a map of town may be obtained at the visitor center just below and near London bridge. Since there it is such a large open area here I have no doubt that most of the balloons for the balloon festival will be launching from this area So try to arrive early and pick your spot!Cheers, John

Havasu Boondocking
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 135907
...Regarding Boondocking in Lake Havasu City Arizona,

please be advised That unlimited Boondocking is available less than 1 mile from London Bridge! ...
~~~~~~~~~ John, (or anyone who's been there/done that), do you know whether the area you describe ("site 6") is an area from which one can view the "Winter Blast Pyrotechnics Show?"  I understand the fireworks are held above SARA Park.  I'm unfamiliar with the area; is Site 6 nearby?

Thanks, Lorna in Santa Cruz
2003 RB

Re: Havasu Boondocking
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 135909
No it is not viewable- the fireworks are at Sarah Park - a good distance away from the island.
James 2011 T/K

On Sunday, December 30, 2012, lornadunham wrote:

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 135916
Thank you so much, John... great info!
 and Lorna, for finally getting us away for that (embarassing) topic name.  When is the "Winter Blast Pyrotechnics Show"?
 Patty - I wish I could come to the balloon fest!  But I fly from Alaska to Nevada on Jan 20 and won't be able to leave for a few days.  Just thought a stop at Lake Havasu would be a nice night before arriving at Quartzsite.

Hope to see you you all
1997 MB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 135958
No it is not viewable- the fireworks are at Sarah Park - a good distance away from the island.
~~~~~~~~

Thanks, James ... just what I needed to know.
 And Kristen, here is a link for lots of  Winter Blast details/information: http://www.golakehavasu.com/events/detai ls/78/23rd-annual-winter-blast-western-p yrotechnics/ or:  http://tinyurl.com/ashw48x

Enjoy!

Lorna, Santa Cruz
2003 RB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 135968
Thanks, Lorna!! I love fireworks and in Alaska we can't see them in the summer, but it's extremely cold to stay outside in the winter when it's dark!
 Winter Blast sounds very tempting!  I'd love to be there!  Who knew?

Thanks so much! (By the way, my name is Kristin LORENA - so we have something in common...and my dearest friend was also named Lorna)

Kristin
1997 MB