Skip to main content
Topic: I make the Mistakes so you don't have to. Outside Storage Compartme (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
I make the Mistakes so you don't have to. Outside Storage Compartme
Yahoo Message Number: 128773
I was intrigued by discussions about the locks on the outside storage compartments being all keyed the same for most rigs .  At Quartzsite RV Show "Big Tent",  Industrial Lock and Hardware had the people at the entrance with signs, "if your key number is 751, you are at risk" Later several of us at the Quartzsite campout,  tried our various keys in each others rigs and found out that yup, that's the case.  Now I don't worry about my LD friends that I camp out with, but, this means that SOB's (pun intended) probably have the same key also.  I counted how many storage compartments on my '02MB and came to 8.  I placed an order with Industrial Lock and Hardware at the show for 8 tubular cam locks. (guaranteed that my keys will be unique). I took one off and they measured it and it found that guess what, the locks are an odd length that they don't have stock but they use an offset cam to compensate.  Locks arrived and guess what again,....LD uses three different lock sizes.  Since I ordered all of mine based on my one example, here is what I found out:  The upper compartments and the one I used as an example, (3) all have the longer cylinder.  The lower compartments all have a shorter cylinder.  The Battery compartment also has the shorter cylinder.  So now I needed 5 additional locks with the shorter cylinder.  These however are a stock size and do not require the offset cam  This means I now have 5 of the longer cylinder locksets "extra"  (see me at any campout for a great deal for these 5)  Now, if you want to keep everything on the same key outside, we will address the water fill door and the outside shower.  These are a different lock type again, but IL&H does have a stock replacement.  It's your own call if you want to go the extra expense for these seldom used doors, but I usuallly get in with both feet.  Now to the actural installation.  I managed to get the first two in upside down, backwards, wrong rotation, wrong cam position, left out the bezel, etc. but I finall worked it out.  Just be sure that everything works the way you want and everything is in the right place before you tighten it down.  You can change the direction of key rotation by turning the little lock cam over. If you don't already know it, the compartment doors are very  thin aluminum styrofoam sandwich.  The backing nut is pretty small and does not give much purchase when tightned against this thin backing.  I found some large flat washers at Home Depot that are just barely the right size and make a great backing.  If anyone wants to try this and has a problem, IL&H is vey helpful on the phone or you can email me and I will try to help also.

www.iss4locks.com    Go to the right side and click on "for your RV"

Re: I make the Mistakes so you don't have to. Outside Storage Compa
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128776
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:11:58 -0000, "Roger" r.nickey@...> wrote:

If you don't already know it, the compartment doors are very thin aluminum styrofoam sandwich.
Right, so now you feel your stuff is safer? ? ? ? When the bin door can be popped open with a long flathead screwdriver.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128777
If "they" really want your stuff, it is easier than that to go through the cab doors on Fords.  Look it up..  Besides I don't keep my gold bars there.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128780
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 03:21:17 -0000, "Roger" r.nickey@...> wrote these inspiring words:

If "they" really want your stuff, it is easier than that to go through the cab doors on Fords.
They can do that, they can bust a window and enter in ways I would never think of. Security is low in any RV.
 That's why I consider futzing with the bin locks a waste of time and money. I would rather they use a key, rather than busting the doors open. That's just my of thinking of course.
 Re keying the existing cylinders is another option. About $10 a lock.
And they would be painted.

That said, your post is now in The Companion.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy