Skip to main content
Topic: What is the best roof vent cover? (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
What is the best roof vent cover?
Yahoo Message Number: 128761
Hi everyone,
 We travel with two kids and sometimes they like to hang out in the rear of our 2006 MB.  It gets a bit hot especially since we live in South Florida.  I have been thinking of adding roof vent covers so we could drive with the vents opened and keep them opened at night even if it rains.
 Which cover do you prefer, and probably just as important can I get a reliable cover that doesn't involve screwing into the roof?

Thanks in advance.

Danny Miami, FL

Re: What is the best roof vent cover?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128762
Hi Danny,

First post?

You will find some information on vent covers on The Companion.
http://lazydazearticles.blogspot.com/ Which is always a good first stop for information.
 We don't drive with the vents open as they pull debris into the vents which has to be eventually cleaned out.'
 No covers require screwing into the roof.  Stop by an RV parts place and look over the selection. Some like Maxxaire. I would choose one that is clear so as not to block sunlight.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128763
Hi everyone,
 We travel with two kids and sometimes they like to hang out in the rear of our 2006 MB.  It gets a bit hot especially since we live in South Florida.  I have been thinking of adding roof vent covers so we could drive with the vents opened and keep them opened at night even if it rains.
 Which cover do you prefer, and probably just as important can I get a reliable cover that doesn't involve screwing into the roof?

Thanks in advance.

Danny Miami, FL
Hi, Danny.  I have a Maxxair2  over the Fantastic fan vent in the bedroom of our 30'.  The Maxxair2 is a bit taller than some of the other vents and allows one to open the vent cover more widely.  When we are on the road, I leave that vent open about 1" to allow air to circulate through the LD.  I have never had trouble with debris entering the open vent.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128765
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "dan_e2001"

Thanks in advance.

Danny Miami, FL
Danny, Many of us have used Maxxair 2 covers on our Fantastic Fans despite Fantastic Fan admonishing not to cover their fans.  Now Fantastic Fan has introduced their own covers which they claim lets more air into the fan.  Here is some info on them from Camping World and I'm sure they are available elsewhere on line. Google Fantastic Vent and I think you would find them.

http://tinyurl.com/7po8wt5
 The Maxxair's do not require holes in the roof, and I believe the FF vent cover would be the same, but we have not converted from our Maxxair's to the FF vent covers.  If I were buying a new one, I think I would try the FF vent covers first.
Mary Tribbett Dixon, CA

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128766
Fantasticvent recently released their own cover and it is (their claim) more efficient than MaxAire or others. You can order one through Amazon.com for around $42.

--

"I love the infantry because they are the underdogs.  They are the mud-rain-frost-and-wind boys.  They have no comforts, and they even learn to live without the necessities.  And in the end they are the guys that wars can't be won without." - Ernie Pyle

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

*James A Jackson*

mobile: 909 553-4768

home: 951 769-7665

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]