Skip to main content
Topic: Canadian lazy daze owners (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Canadian lazy daze owners
Yahoo Message Number: 128736
Any Canadians out there that own an LD? I'm doing research on available class C brands, and have it narrowed down to 3: Born Free, LD, and Phoenix USA. Phoenix are not currently able to be imported to Canada (at least new models, which I would like), but Born Free is as far as I know.
 How about LD? Does anyone know if the factory will build to CSA specifications or would I be responsible for any modifications myself?

Thanks,
Colin

Re: Canadian lazy daze owners
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128737
Colin,

II had this same problem when I had a canadian wanting to buy my Born Free several years ago before Born Free started meeting the Canadian certification standards as they now do. He was unable to register in his home provence. The Born Free certifications are NOT retroactive to model years before they got their Canadian certification. I inquired about this issue with Lazy Daze when ordering our new coach in 2009. They said it wasn't worth the extra expense to certify for Canada as the US market was enough to meet their profit requirements. Therefore Canadian residents cannot register a LD in Canada, however if a Canadian has a US residence (as many do in Florida as a winter home) they can register and tag a non-cretified motorhome in the state and use it in Canada for limited time periods. The last I heard, LD has no plans to certify for Canada.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128759
I don't have much experience with CSA for motorhomes, however, have a lot of it for computer equipment, etc.
 Building to CSA standards is usually does not mean a significant increase in manufacturing costs. However, getting "CSA certification" so that you can apply the CSA sticker to products is very costly. As a former computer product manager, I remember what it cost me to get CSA certification for a simple "mini-computer."   I hestitate to think what certification for a motor home might cost.  While the two products are quite different, the certification process is the same; inspection, independent testing, Canadian testing, etc; usually several times before all the issues are resolved.
 As someone else pointed out, CSA certification is not retroactive, even for the same model of product that has been certified.  It is only "forward going" and only for the identical tested model. If, for marketing purposes, you change the model number of a product (with little or no physical product changes), you must go through the entire process again; although you may do it on a "differential" basis, only focusing on the changes.
 It is easy to understand why Lazy Daze does not seek CSA certification.  While the distribution of new Lazy Daze vehicles is becoming more widespread across the USA, I would guess that over half of their yearly production still ends up on the west coast in and the southwest area.

Doug

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128779

On Feb 23, 2012, at 2:20 AM, tyree788_0 wrote:
 Any Canadians out there that own an LD? I'm doing research on available class C brands, and have it narrowed down to 3: Born Free, LD, and Phoenix USA. Phoenix are not currently able to be imported to Canada (at least new models, which I would like), but Born Free is as far as I know.

Is there some reason you wouldn't consider the beautiful, made in Canada, Triple E Regency? I know I would seriously consider that if Lazy Daze no longer worked for me.

Linda Allen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 129047
Hi Linda,

Actually, they are now on my shortlist :) For some reason, Triple E's Canadian marketing isn't very substantial--at least on the east coast-- and it is only through looking at Leisure Travel Van's website from a Class B dealer's link, that I recently learned about Triple E, since they purchased (or amalgamated with) Leisure Travel not so long ago.
 The Regency is definitely a nice unit, and built to withstand Canadian spring/fall, which is a major factor

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 129048
Doug,

Thanks for your input. I've checked the list of new RV's that are currently able to be imported into Canada, and spoken with a few people who've purchased

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 129049
Thanks Mike,

I had a feeling that would be the answer since there was nothing on the website to indicate that they were able to sell new coaches to Canada- but the info is very helpful. I will be spending a significant amount of time

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 129050
If you'll be replacing a dome, I highly recommend, instead, an open-faced, multiple-LNB dish such as the Winegard Trav'ler.  Domes have too many checks in the minus column, IMO, compared to an open-faced dish to be worth the money.

The Dish 1000 (SK-1000) works with Bell TV HD and the Shaw Direct (SK-7002/SKA-722) works with Shaw Direct (used to be Star Choice).  From what I've read from other Canadian RVers, Shaw Direct is the better service if you spend any time in the U.S.  Bell apparently doesn't support USA use, which Shaw Direct does...and it works all the way down into Central or South America (I don't remember exactly how far south the footprint extends).
Here is the Winegard website that explains each dish: http://www.winegard.com/mobile/travler.php

You probably already know all of this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Linda Hylton

http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton