Skip to main content
Topic: Compartment Lighting... (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Compartment Lighting...
Yahoo Message Number: 128635
With age, my poor ole eyes just are not what they use to be...  Anyhow, how hard or how easy would it be to install some 12 volt lighting in select "exterior" storage compartments?  My LAZY DAZE is a 2010, 31' Island bed model.
 I am quite handy and very capable with tools and wiring, I just don't want to bruise my "honey".  So I was wondering if folks could chime in and we could put our heads together on this one.

Thanks a million...
Mark n Keri from Cali....

Re: Compartment Lighting...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128641
With age, my poor ole eyes just are not what they use to be...  Anyhow, how hard or how easy would it be to install some 12 volt lighting in select "exterior" storage compartments?  My LAZY DAZE is a 2010, 31' Island bed model.
Some compartments may have wiring adjacent that will allow this, but battery-powered LED puck lights will do the job too. Whichever you use, it is important to also wire in switches activated by the compartment door to counteract forgetfulness. What I have found particularly useful is the small, round AA-cell operated fixtures that turn on by pushing the center of the light. I wire in a microswitch to disconnect the internal batteries when the door is closed, and the lights remain off next time the door is opened, until you push the light on again. The ones I have used have two levels of illumination, and pivot a small angle to change the direction of the light. They attach via velcro tape.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128643
Here's another way to power a compartment light; I installed a 12 volt florescent fixture with its own (normally kept off) switch into a compartment, powered by a circuit energized only when the ignition key is "on" or "acc". I already had this switched wire going to the back for a camera, and spliced the compartment light power wire onto it. Makes it impossible to leave the compartment light burning except when the key is turned on.  The tw

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128645
Here's a tip that can help with some of the LED puck lights, in particular the Sylvania "Dot-It" brand. The lights have a relatively narrow beam, and when mounted in a cupboard or compartment that's only a foot or so high, the beam doesn't get a chance to spread very far, so the light may not be able to do a good job of illuminating the area. Solution: roughen the lens with fine sandpaper (240 grit or higher) to diffuse the light. This can really make a big difference in how well the compartment is lit.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128648
"Here's a tip that can help with some of the LED puck lights, in particular the Sylvania "Dot-It" brand."

My favorite tap light is Sylvania's Dragon light.
It is very bright, activated with a wave of the hand and, best of all, shuts off automatically. It's a good choice for an exterior compartment.
We have one mount under the medicine cabinet. Perfect for midnight bathroomruns- no switch to mess with and you can leave it for safely retracing yoursteps back to bed, knowing it will turn itself off.
We get a year or more out of a set of batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asylvania%20led%20dragon%20puck\ %20light%2072404&page=1>
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-72422-Undercabinet-Motion-Function/dp/B0017QN2V0\> Reasonably priced when bought in a three pack.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128649
"My favorite tap light is Sylvania's Dragon light. It is very bright, activated with a wave of the hand and, best of all, shuts off automatically."
 Thanks for the tip, Larry! I just ordered a couple. I plan to mount one just inside the entry door, so it'll light up as soon as I enter the rig, even if I have my arms full of groceries.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 128700
WOOHOO Larry, these are great ! !   I just ordered 6 of them.  These will be great since I am prone to "crs"  at my age.

Oh and by the way, that means = "Can't Remember Sh**"  lol

Thanks aga

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 128701
I am wondering what all you folks are doing in the bins after dark.

Is this some sort of lighting fetish?
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 128704
I am wondering what all you folks are doing in the bins after dark.

Is this some sort of lighting fetish?
I can't believe that you haven't experienced cocktail hour in the spacious outside storage bins of a 24' FD!

Larry in Monument 2008 24' FD
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)