Skip to main content
Topic: Best way to play for a 10 days in Arizonia (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Best way to play for a 10 days in Arizonia
Yahoo Message Number: 128592
Our '97 26.5 has been feeling really neglected this last fall and winter.   So mid-March, we want to leave Northern California for 10 days in Arizonia starting in Williams.  Lived 55+ years in the West and have never seen the Grand Canyon except from a jet airliner.
So plan to stay at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV park and then take the train to the south rim lip.
 After that, we are wide open.  Been to Phoenix before for baseball spring training and been to Sedona once.  Now happily we can go this time with a great self-contained RV.  We have a 40+ pound Vizsla dog with us and my 85 year old mother-in-law.
 Wwhat have you enjoyed in a ten day trip through Arizonia this time of year?

Don't want to drive every day or stay in major cities.

Ideas?

Thanks and happy trails,

Rod

Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Best way to play for a 10 days in Arizona
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128593
Arizona is an amazing state with all types of things to see and do.  As an Arizonan, here are some of the things I take visitors to see.

Of course the Grand Canyon is a good place to start.  Once you get there, they have buses to take you to the various observation points.

After the Grand Canyon I would head for the Tucson area.  You could spend all your time there and not see it all.  In that area I would recommend the following:

Pima Air and Space Museum

AMARC Museum - Also known as the Boneyard

Tombstone

Kartchner Caverns

Sonora Desert Museum

Titan Missile Museum

Fort Huachuca Museum in Sierra Vista

Each of these are in my "must-see" category.  If you have questions about any of them you can send me a private e-mail.

Dick

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128600
Grand Canyon -that's a no brainer

Walk around and spend the day in Kingman

Do Flagstaff, great little city

Tombstone

Bisbee
 go to Bullhead City for a night or two and have fun across the river in Laughlin.

Sedona, absolutely beautiful

Kayenta, the Monument Valley area

Phoenix, if you have the desire to spend a day in traffic

Petrified Forest near Holbrook, AZ.
 http://atthemoviesingoldfieldnevada.blogspot.com
I was stationed at Fort Huachuca. I want to visit Bisbee again. There is the Queen's Copper Mine that has tours below Bisbee.

Mike

Re: Best way to play for a 10 days in Arizonia
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128601
Our '97 26.5 has been feeling really neglected this last fall and winter.  So mid-March, we want to leave Northern California for 10 days in Arizonia starting in Williams.
If you're headed east, then Canyon de Chelly.  CG is free and there are wonderful views near.
 Organ Pipe Cactus NM has nicer cacti than most places.  It's right by the border.  One road in that area leads to Kitt Peak observatory.  Visitor center and day-time tours of optical telescope.  If you like that kind of thing.

John

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128603
"I was stationed at Fort Huachuca. I want to visit Bisbee again. There is the Queen's Copper Mine that has tours below Bisbee."
 Yes, that's a very interesting tour (if you're not claustrophobic). And don't miss the Military Intelligence Museum at Fort Huachuca. All kinds of spy stuff, code machines and whatnot--fascinating!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 128606
On Feb 15, 2012, at 1:10 PM, jpwoodruff wrote:

If you're headed east, then Canyon de Chelly. CG is free and there are wonderful views near.
 Organ Pipe Cactus NM has nicer cacti than most places. It's right by the border. One road in that area leads to Kitt Peak observatory. Visitor center and day-time tours of optical telescope. If you like that kind of thing.
I will second John's two specific recommendations. Bernie and I enjoyed marvelous stays in both campgrounds. And if you're worried about being safe so close to the border at Organ Pipe Cactus NM, I would say don't be concerned if you stay in the monument. It's a great campground with stunning views in all directions. There are commercial CGs further from the border, but I have a hunch they're not as safe, and for sure they are not as beautiful.
 If you're going to explore the observatory, it's not a bad drive further on to the vast Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge, which is one of my favorite spots in the southwest. We've not camped there yet, but it's on our bucket list. :-)

And let me add one more recommendation: Prescott is a lovely old town with lots of history and a picturesque "saloon row" right across from the county courthouse. We stayed at Point of Rocks Campground right next to stunning Watson Lake just north of town, an easy drive into Prescott. (928-445-9018). The only trick is getting into the CG, because it's on a curve of a busy road. Take care getting in and out!
 Near Prescott is the hamlet of Jerome, a beautifully preserved mining town well atop a mountain near. Well worth a trip. We stayed at the CG in Dead Horse Ranch State Park just outside Cottonwood. Jerome is about 1/2 way between Cottonwood and Prescott. A windy, scenic mountain drive from either side so maybe not a good trip for an LD. If you've got a toad, you'll make it just fine.

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 128617
Hello there,
 I have been boondocking near the Saguaro Lake area near the salt river for the price of a Tonto National Forest Pass, which is about $7 a day.
 The area is lovely and there are very clean bathrooms. The walking distance from the Salt River is very short and easy

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 128618
"Patricia"  wrote: I have been boondocking near the Saguaro Lake area near the salt river for the price of a Tonto National Forest Pass, which is about $7 a day.
--- Patricia, according to the information on the Tonto NF page linked below, the day pass is $3.00 for holders of Senior or Access passes. Since your signature says that you're 67, you're certainly eligible (by 5 years!) for a Senior Pass, if you don't already have one.  This pass is a *terrific* bargain!
 http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 128619
Great tips folks!  I'll print them all out tonight and plot them on a map.  I wish I had more time.  I'm sure a month still wouldn't do it justice.

Thanks so much.

Feel free to let the thread continue.  I'll be taking notes.
 "Life isn't the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Rod http://redbirddog.blogspot.com '97 26.5 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 128620
I can't even imagine that someone 62 or older doesn't have the $10 lifetime Senior Pass.  We don't camp anymore, but we still use it all the time for picnic areas, getting through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, etc.
It's the barga

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 128621
wrote: I can't even imagine that someone 62 or older doesn't have the $10 lifetime Senior Pass.
--- I agree; there aren't too many perks about getting "older", but the Senior Pass is definitely one! I can't begin to count the dollars saved in federal facility entrance fees and camping fees over the years that I've had mine.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 128622
Should you change your mind about Phoenix, there is the Heard Museum (Native American arts, crafts, culture, and possibly they may still have their replica of an Indian School...very very moving). Also in Phoenix are the Desert Botanical Garden and the Phoenix Museum of Art.
 We've spent a week or ten days twice in Phoenix and haven't been bothered by the traffic, but we do note it's long distances to get to places, at least from where we stay on the north side of Phoenix opposite the Deer Valley Airport (which seems to be light and corporate aviation).
 In the Tucson area are the Tohono Chul Park, a 49-acre botanical garden and the Tucson Botanical Garden which is a much smaller place. Also, the Tucson Museum of Art. North of Tucson is Biosphere...but that requires agility and ability to climb lots of stairs.

The Bisbee Mining Museum, even if you don't do the Queen Mine tour itself, is very interesting and the Smithsonian has had a hand it its exhibits. At Fort Huachuca, in addition to the espionage museum there is a good exhibit detailing the daily life of the soldiers' wives.
 Kartchner Caverns is also in the Benson area, the Amerind Foundation (more Native American art and culture), and Chiricahua...if you're not going to tow a car so you can ramble about or not in a 24' LD, your rig will be too big for Chiricahua. They have a 25/26 foot limit on RVs...and it's a long drive out there to find out you can't go in. However, at the Amerind I recall good parking and a picnic area.
 "Closer" to your Grand Canyon stop is the very pretty Walnut Canyon National Monument...we liked it a lot and it was easier to wrap my head around than the GC...it is at/about I-40 exit 211, Winona, on the east side Flagstaff. If you're thinking of staying in the northern part of AZ, there is also Meteor Crater (hey, even if you just want to see it to say you've seen it) at I-40 Exit 233...and on the way to the Petrified Forest and the Canyon de Chelly. If you do decide to go to the Canyon de Chelly, be sure you're well provisioned...the one grocery store in Chinle, from which you access the Canyon, is truly miserable.
 The Canyon has two drives...north and south...and there are numerous turnouts so you can see the Canyon. Lots of Native American artisans offer their wares at the turnouts, but don't pester the tourists. Depending upon how wet the Canyon is, you may hire a Navajo guide to drive you down on the Canyon floor, which is still inhabited. Do note that as you do drive around the Canyon, horses have the right of way and exercise it often.
 If you do stay at the Cottonwood CG at the Canyon, it's barebones, but serviceable. Don't be surprised if, late in the afternoon, there's a knock at your door...it would be a silent group of little Navajo girls selling Indian fry bread or small items.
 Hubbell Trading Post in Ganado (on the way to the Canyon) is interesting and would have room for your RV. Very high quality rugs and jewelry, as well as assorted other items. You can eat a picnic lunch there, too.

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing" Currently discovering all that San Antonio, TX offers

2006 MB

Best way to play for a 10 days in Arizona
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 128623
I think I am a little late to this thread, but has any one mentioned these places in the Tuscon area?

Suguaro National Park

Pima Air and Space Museum

Old Tuscon Studios

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (not to be missed) there is an excellent campground nearby but I can't remember the name of it----I think it is a county campground---can some one help me out here?

Tom

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 128624
"Tom Johnston"  wrote: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (not to be missed) there is an excellent campground nearby but I can't remember the name of it----I think it is a county campground---can some one help me out here? --- Gilbert Ray Campground (Pima County):
 http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/camping/index.htm

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is definitely well worth a visit; I suggest being there in the morning when it first opens, particularly if it's warm/hot.  The animals are more active/visible in the cool of the mornings.  RV parking is available. Check online for coupons.
 http://www.desertmuseum.org/ 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Best way to play for a 10 days in Arizona
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 128625
http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/camping/index.htm

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is definitely well worth a visit; I suggest being there in the morning when it first opens, particularly if it's warm/hot.  The animals are more active/visible in the cool of the mornings.  RV parking is available. Check online for coupons.
 http://www.desertmuseum.org/ 
Joan
Thanks Joan-- I thought you would know!

Tom1937

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 128630
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Tina Pratt wrote:

and Chiricahua...if you're not going to tow a car so you can ramble about or not in a 24' LD, your rig will be too big for Chiricahua.' They have a 25/26 foot limit on RVs...and it's a long drive out there to find out you can't go in.

Tina,
 Chiricahua National Monument was a real high point on our last trip to southern Arizona.  We have a 26.5 Mid-Bath and had no problem at all getting to or in the campground.  The NPS website lists a 29' limit on trailers and RV's probably due to a few dips in the campground, but certainly a 26 - 28 ft RV would be fine.  By all means, if you don't have a toad, (maybe even if you do) take the free shuttle from the campground up the hill and take a leisurely hike down thru some real intersting terrain. It may be a long drive in, but you won't be sorry.

Rich Gort - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD