Skip to main content
Topic: cold in 30ft queen bedroom, how to solve problem (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
cold in 30ft queen bedroom, how to solve problem
Yahoo Message Number: 128455
how do i solve this problem......no insulation in rear comparts

Re: cold in 30ft queen bedroom, how to solve problem
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128457
"how do i solve this problem......no insulation in rear compartments"

Mr. or Mrs. Rebound129
 Head over to your home center and buy a sheet or two of rigid foam insulation.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Insulation-Sheathings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbaxx/R-202090366/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051> Fit and glue it to the interior back and top walls of the exterior bins. Seal any air leaks you find.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128459
Rebound129 (NO NAME)

No Name
 I know exactly where you're coming from. If you open the rear exterior storage door and prop it open, then go into the bedroom and remove the top drawer under the wardrobe you can see daylight.
 You need to follow the recommendations of previous posters and use a combination of wood paneling and insulation, on the back side of the exterior door and in the passage between the storage compartment and the wardrobe area.
 And, although it's a major pain in the posterior, closing the rear window shade at night helps a lot.
 I've had this in mind for quite some time for my 30IB but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128460
Not sure of the layout of your model, but if the fresh water tank is under the bed, you do not want to insulate it from the cabin. The outside walls of the storage compartments are all insulated - except the doors themselves. I recommend that you insulate the doors and add additional gasketing to insure eliminating drafts through those doors. If you still need to add insulation, add it to the exterior walls of the storage compartments - not the interior ones. If the water tank is NOT under the bed, and there are no plumbing runs there, then you could insulate interior surfaces.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128461
"Not sure of the layout of your model, but if the fresh water tank is under the bed,..."

Steve
Steve
 On the 30's the water tank IS under the bed and one cannot separate the tank from the interior.
 The problem lies with the exterior storage compartment which runs the full width of the coach with a door at both ends. Once that storage compartment gets cold there is no way to isolate it from the interior as the exterior compartment is open into the coach, blocked by nothing but two drawers.
 The trick will be to isolate the outer compartment from the interior living space.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 128467
On our 30' I cut a piece of heavy cardboard that will fit into the tracks on the rear window (slightly longer), then cut it
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 128468
Best way is to crank the LD and go south until the bedroom warms up.

On Feb 8, 2012 12:31 PM, "lejest2003" no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: 

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 128470
On the 30's the water tank IS under the bed and one cannot separate the tank from the interior.
Steve, it sounds like you are saying that the water tank is under the bed, but separate from the storage compartment. If that is the case, then insulating the storage compartment interior walls wouldn't cause a problem.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 128471
Steve, et.al., I have wondered about the light I see around the exterior doors
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 128473
I have wondered about the light I see around the exterior doors in our 2009 MB (the storage compartment under the dinette seat, primarily). You mentioned adding "gasketing", ie improving the seal around the door. I would like to know if you or others have done this and what did you use? Did you replace what is there with something else or add to what exists? While I haven't gotten any water around the door, I can see where a hard blowing rain might allow it in.
Since our FL is an '83 I don't know if our solution is applicable. I used some foam weatherstripping to restrict air movement past the door, but water leakage isn't an issue. For insulation, I glued 1" Styrofoam sheeting to the inside of the door.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 128475

Steve, it sounds like you are saying that the water tank is under the bed, but separate from the storage compartment. If that is the case, then insulating the storage compartment interior walls wouldn't cause a problem.

Steve
Steve

Yes, that is the case and no, it would not cause a problem.
 The tank's location has no bearing on whether or not the bedroom gets cold. But, the fact that the exterior storage space runs full length across the coach just under the head of the bed does.
 There are two wardrobes, one on either side of the bed and below them there are two drawers, one on each side. If you pull those drawers out you can look directly into that outside storage compartment. In order to isolate the bedroom area from the storage compartment you would have to construct and insulate a barrier to keep the cold out.
 Insulating the inner side of the compartment doors might help somewhat but would not be adequate in solving the larger problem.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 128482
"If you pull those drawers out you can look directly into that outside storage compartment. In order to isolate the bedroom area from the storage compartment you would have to construct and insulate a barrier to keep the cold out."
 Well, no wonder the area gets cold. That is a goof on LD's part, Why bother insulating the walls when the bedroom has direct access to an uninsulated area. The Exterior storage hatches are not watertight and leak air. The good news is it's fixable.

OK, now that I understand this, the solution is the same as before.
Inside the rear exterior storage compartment, line the top and forward wall with extruded polystyrene foam board.
Foam, with a foil coating facing outward, will hold up better. Attach it with foam glue and tape the corners with HD aluminum mending tape.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-78-Polystyrene-Insulation-Translucent/dp/B001EUOAGK>
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials-roofing-gutters-roofing-roof-panels-roof-panel-accessories/useal-band-6-in-aluminum-foil-self-adhesive-repair-tape-138674.html>
 Make sure the openings, under the drawers, are covered with foam too.
I would probably try to cover the two openings, under the drawers, with thin paneling, before insulating, to make it air tight.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 128483
"how do i solve this problem......no insulation in rear compartments..."
 I really don't think your problem is the lower area walls and storage. While it is true that the heater does not directly circulate in the storage areas they are warmed indirectly. My storage doors are air and water tight and furthermore are insulated as are the walls of the coach.
 My 30' TB gets cold because of the blessing of those huge windows on each side and at the rear (which during the day I love).
 I really think you can solve about 90% of your coldness with some Reflectix placed in the windows behind your window coverings. Works for us!

Steve