Skip to main content
Topic: An LD for 10 years? (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
An LD for 10 years?
Yahoo Message Number: 128424
We have always bought used RVs in the past but lately I have been thinking about ordering a brand new one. Just exactly the way I want it with a bright red paint job!
 Semi-Retired now and will be using it for small weekend trips and some bigger ones in the summer.
 How many of you bought your LDs brand new and still have them after eight or more years? Tips, thoughts, concerns are welcome!

Re: An LD for 10 years?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128425
We have always bought used RVs in the past but lately I have been thinking about ordering a brand new one. Just exactly the way I want it with a bright red paint job!
 Semi-Retired now and will be using it for small weekend trips and some bigger ones in the summer.
 How many of you bought your LDs brand new and still have them after eight or more years? Tips, thoughts, concerns are welcome!
We picked up our new MB almost exactly 10 years ago.  After 106,000+ miles it is still in good shape.  We will be starting on another long trip this summer.  Unfortunately, red is one of the hardest colors to keep from fading.  Ours is blue, probably the most stable of their colors.  It helps if it can be stored inside when not in use. We know folks in the caravan club that have owned their rigs a lot longer than 10 years.

HTH, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128426
Our Mid-Bath is coming on its 10th year.  It has 62,000 miles on it.  We live in Michigan and have used our LD for small weekend trips as well (all seasons).  We've also been to Florida and out west a few times.  We've had a few minor issues such as cracked corner posts, two windows that have hairline cracks, and the awning that broke.  My only "concern" with purchasing the LD was that if repairs are needed, Michigan is a long way from California.

Glenn and Joan Lambert 2002 MB Redford, MI
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128427
At 08:41 AM 2/7/2012, you wrote:

My folks bought theirs new in 1980, and we "inherited it" in about 1995, when they moved to a different brand. We kept it for another 8 or so years before selling to a local couple who were looking for something to take short trips to the beach in. It was on a Dodge chassis with a big engine (450?) and in excellent shape for its age.
We still occasionally see it around town, so it must still be giving good service!

Sonsie

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128428
We bought a new MB in 2003 and after doing so concluded we would always buy a used one should the occasion arise.  LS'd are such great motor homes they last and last.
 After upsizing to a Class A we sold it and downsized to a 1997 RB.  No regrets.

best, paul

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive... to breath, to think, to enjoy, to love."

~ Marcus Aurelius
 We have always bought used RVs in the past but lately I have been thinking

about ordering a brand new one. Just exactly the way I want it with a bright red paint job!
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128429
IMHO, a lot of folks treat cars, RV's and stocks similiary.  Some of us believe in the "Buy and hold" philosophy and others in the trade often way of life...sometimes daily for stocks and every 3 years or so for cars and RV's.  I fall into the buy and hold group...try to do my research first and unless I make a BIG mistake, tend to hold for quite a while.  We bought our 2000 MB new, after much research, and are still very happy with it.  If you are of the "buy and hold" type, I believe that a new LD is a very good choice. (Now that I think about it, because LD's tend to hold their value well, even if you are a "Trade often" type it is probably not a bad choice either)

Rich G. - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 128431
Thanks for the comments.  Ya, I know Red is the hardest color to keep looking good.  Had Ed tell me that when I visited the Mothership about 5 years ago while on a business trip.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 128434
Hmmmm ... I bought a 2003 MB form a guy who bought it new, he upsized to a Class A also.  You aren't from Virginia are you?

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 128435
wrote: How many of you bought your LDs brand new and still have them after eight or more years? Tips, thoughts, concerns are welcome! --- I took delivery of my green 23.5' TK in November, 2003; it still looks quite presentable! ;-) I believe that the blue, green, and/or tan paint jobs are the most "stable"; at least, this has been true in my observations and experience. My LD currently has over 72000 miles, and I plan to keep it as long as we both our "engines" are still running well!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 128436
I was from Virginia in 1967 ;o)

(Just out of the US Army)

best, paul

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive... to breath, to think, to enjoy, to love."

~ Marcus Aurelius

Hmmmm ... I bought a 2003 MB form a guy who bought it new, he upsized to a

Class A also. You aren't from Virginia are you?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 128437
We have a 2002 LD (30' IB) and love it.   Right now it has 87,000 miles and has given us no problems.   This is our third LD and all three have been trouble free except for a couple of Chevy or Ford issues.   The Triton V-10 engine and the related Ford transmission are excellent performers.  I believe
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 128438
I previously mentioned we are on our third LD.   Regarding the paint color,  the first one was brown, the second blue, and our current one silver.   I agree that the blue color holds up best over time.   Our brown one and the blue one were stored outdoors next to our house
G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 128439

Our '02 30'IB will be 10 in May.  We've had 0 problems.  54,000 miles and going strong.  Got red and love red but would never get red again because of fading.  Blue, probably the next time.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 128440
Darn it!  Why does red have to fade.  I used to have red hair and even mine has faded to silver!  Maybe I shoudl just go with silver on the LD.  All of my trucks have been either red or silver and the silver are much easier to maintain I guess.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 128447
Howdy from Bill in Helena, Mt.
 Thanks for the South West tour suggestion. I was looking to fill in some stops on my first trip.  It will just be the SW my first trip.
 I have a NE, SE, NW, and SW route layed out and I am putting in others suggestions along with my planned stops, sites, etc.  I am planning on doing each one in the spring and the fall over four years.  Then the Alcan..

I enjoy researching all the places everyone has suggested.  Thanks.

Bill K7MT http://www.k7mt.com Enjoy life! It does have an expiration date! (Thanks Wendy)

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 128450
I so love reading this every time you post it.  Thank you for this timeless philosophy.

Jules
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 128451
Darn it!  Why does red have to fade.  I used to have red hair and even mine has faded to silver!  Maybe I shoudl just go with silver on the LD.  All of my trucks have been either red or silver and the silver are much easier to maintain I guess.
Well, not according to the factory.  When we bought our '06TK, they were quite emphatic in warning us that the Silver/Grey was the worst fader of all the colors, even more so than the red.  Still, it looked so good that we ignored the advice.  Ours is stored outdoors, with no shade.  We use the sealant that the factory sells (about twice a year) and it has held up well.  YMMV. -- Jon ('06TK "Albatross")
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 128452
I purchased my used 2000 27RB , RED, almost 8 years ago and have not regretted the color one time.
I live in the desert and this rig was always in the desert.  If you give it loving care and make certain that it is waxed & polished at least once a year preferably twice the paint does not fade much.  Biggest problem with red is that the hood and front fenders need more attention and do oxidize more quickly.

I have 64,000 miles on it and still loving my LD.

Betty Jean & Circus Wagon

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 128453
Yep. We received the same admonishment too.  Our response was "it will be garaged." Then factory was happy. Although it was outside for a couple of months while the garage was being built, it has been inside since. 24 x 32 foot building with a 12 foot overhead door on the end. The largest we could build under current zoning.  So it looks pretty much as good as the day (make that weeks) we drove it home from SoCal.
 I think that factory advice is why there are not too many silver/gray units on the road.  I can't think that most folks don't like that color combo.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 128454
Same here - '08 silver/grey, which Steve warned was very bad as to fading.  I full time, so Enterprise has been out in the weather every day since November, 2008.  I use the factory recommended sealant several times a year.  My finish still looks great.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 128462
wrote:

How many of you bought your LDs brand new and still have them after
I had mine built in 2005, still have it and love it - getting new tires this month.  Have had virtually no problems with it.

Dick Red 05 RK Ridgecrest, CA