Skip to main content
Topic: Homeless People or are they...??? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Homeless People or are they...???
Yahoo Message Number: 128210
Shayne and I have lived all over the country and traveled interstates east to west and back and north to south and back.  We have seen homeless persons or those who claim to be really everywhere and that is not an exaggeration.  Yes, the economy is not in the greatest of shape and I truly do feel bad for them, but if I start giving homeless people money on a regular basis....  We will become one of them.  Here is an excellent example:  We parked at an rv park for 7 months just outside of Roswell, NM while I was employed in the city.  At the corner of Pine Lodge Road and North Main Street (Highway 285), we would see the same two "homeless" people every day with two dogs!!!!!!  I felt bad for the dogs, not so much them.  We saw these more deprived and underprivileged people at truck stops in Wyoming off I-80, Nebraska, Alabama at the Petro I was employed at for 8 months, all over New Mexico.  Needles, CA is literally full of them.   Sometimes I wonder if the homeless people in Needles equal the number of citizens actually living there.  The very moderate climate in Needles attracts them, espcially with I-40 being right there.  Can't they get cleaned up, get food stamps, and find some "any ole' job."  I do it.  Do you think I enjoy waiting tables...???  NO!!!!!!!  But I do it because I feel better about myself being employed.  I have to remain employed or we will spend what we earned in Pahrump, NV, which is how we intend to purchase our Lazy Daze.  It seems that truck stops and Wal-Marts are the "hot-spots" for these people.
 Now here is my question...???  Are they all really homeless..??  I wonder......  I think some of them, even more than half, probably so, or even a yes.  However, there are some of these persons who play the role and that is their job, their livelihood, if you will.
 There was this gentleman in Albuquerque, NM about 6 or 7 years ago.  A local news crew followed and filmed him throughout the day panhandling off from I-25, near or actually on the old Route 66.  At the end of the day, they followed him with what I assume was a hidden camera getting into a vehicle and driving into the foothills of the Sandia Mountians!!!!!!  True story.  They then went to his door and attempted to interview him.  Naturally, he slammed the door shut on them.  It would blow his gig if he were recognized in town.  My point of this ramble session is, they are not all homeless, just living off from us, and certainly earning more money than a waiter or front desk clerk.
 My question here is, do you Lazy Daze owners or rv'ers, see a lot of "homeless" persons and panhandling in your travels...???

Look, I am going to sign my name:  JAMES

http://timehasshownme.com

Re: Homeless People or are they...???
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128211

Bravo, James!

Chris Horst Arvada (Denver) CO 2002 30' IB
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128212
I've concluded I have a much better chance of a fair judgement of someone other than me if I walk three months in their shoes.
 Since that never happens I try to control myself as best I can.  As a professional once told me, "You are already working at 150% if you can control yourself" so don't try to control others....
 As to the question.  If I feel like giving to someone, I do.  If I don't feel like it, I don't.  In both cases I'm thankful I'm not in their shoes.
Just one major illness could put many people there these days....

best, Paul D Smith Sr

Shayne and I have lived all over the country and traveled interstates east to west and back and north to south and back. We have seen homeless persons or those who claim to be really everywhere and that is not an exaggeration. Yes, the economy is not in the greatest of shape and I truly do feel bad for them, but if I start giving homeless people money on a regular basis.... We will become one of them. Here is an excellent example: We parked at an rv park for 7 months just outside of Roswell, NM while I was employed in the city. At the corner of Pine Lodge Road and North Main Street (Highway 285), we would see the same two "homeless" people every day with two dogs!!!!!! I felt bad for the dogs, not so much them. We saw these more deprived and underprivileged people at truck stops in Wyoming off I-80, Nebraska, Alabama at the Petro I was employed at for 8 months, all over New Mexico. Needles, CA is literally full of them. Sometimes I wonder if the homeless people in Needles equal the number of citizens actually living there. The very moderate climate in Needles attracts them, espcially with I-40 being right there. Can't they get cleaned up, get food stamps, and find some "any ole' job." I do it. Do you think I enjoy waiting tables...??? NO!!!!!!! But I do it because I feel better about myself being employed. I have to remain employed or we will spend what we earned in Pahrump, NV, which is how we intend to purchase our Lazy Daze. It seems that truck stops and Wal-Marts are the "hot-spots" for these people.

Now here is my question...??? Are they all really homeless..?? I wonder...... I think some of them, even more than half, probably so, or even a yes. However, there are some of these persons who play the role and that is their job, their livelihood, if you will.
 There was this gentleman in Albuquerque, NM about 6 or 7 years ago. A local news crew followed and filmed him throughout the day panhandling off from I-25, near or actually on the old Route 66. At the end of the day, they followed him with what I assume was a hidden camera getting into a vehicle and driving into the foothills of the Sandia Mountians!!!!!! True story. They then went to his door and attempted to interview him.
Naturally, he slammed the door shut on them. It would blow his gig if he were recognized in town. My point of this ramble session is, they are not all homeless, just living off from us, and certainly earning more money than a waiter or front desk clerk.
 My question here is, do you Lazy Daze owners or rv'ers, see a lot of "homeless" persons and panhandling in your travels...???

Look, I am going to sign my name: JAMES
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128213
James,
 You are sooo right about the increasing numbers of "homeless" people in our economy.  BUT...there is also truth in what you shared about the man who was filmed PANHANDLING.
I have personally been accosted by panhandlers and "HOMELESS" folks.
 Then there are the "real homeless" folks.  The real homeless folks won't admit to their conditions; they will muddle by as best they can.  In some cases, these people refuse to stay in shelters as the few belongings they do own (coat, shoes, shirt and even their pants) get stolen.  If they are lucky enough to find a nominally broken CD player and can fix it, that too is eventually stolen by other envious folks.  These are the homeless folks that really count.  The ones that will work where they can get a helping hand.
 Now, I am NOT advocating that we give handouts to all the "HOMELESS" folks and panhandlers.  In fact, I rather would see people give those folks an business card listing a few resources they can go to to get help.  For example,  DSHS for food stamps and TANF help, SAVE for reduced cost food - enough to feed two people comfortably, and a few thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army offer assistance programs for clothing etc.  That is what those agencies are for, the real "homeless" people.
 Just a final word to the wise:  I interviewed an old NY Panhandler one year for a college page I wrote on the guy's reality.  In one year, posing as a debilitated  and disabled veteran; this gentleman raked in $170k dollars tax-free.

Perdy53 .

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128214
Oh' don't get me wrong. I have given to people more times than I can count. I just do not like giving to someone if it is going for alcohol. I appreciate the fact that I am not in their shoes. Since I was in the peace corps for five+ years, I have really seen, lived with, and helped the truly destitute. Haiti, Togo, Chad, Central African Republic, Guinea. Now these people were truly appreciative of a meal.
 Once in Tuscaloosa, AL I saw a homeless man with a dog. I always feel bad for the dog. He had a sign, "please help" or whatever it said. I took him a Coke, two cans of Alpo, a bottled water, and a turkey sandwich from the nearest convenience store. You would have thought that I just hit him with a 2x4. He didn't want all that, he wanted $$$$$$.

james

__

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128215
At 10:26 AM 1/31/2012, you wrote:

I've concluded I have a much better chance of a fair judgement of someone other than me if I walk three months in their shoes.
Agreed. Around here, I do see people whom I am certain are just "acting homeless," but far more who seem to be really in a bad place.
We have a pretty good set of services, including helping people get jobs, homes, etc., for which I am very grateful.

Funny note: There's a guy around here who has a sign that says, "Betcha Can't Hit Me with a Quarter." He stands at stop lights, and you would be amazed at how many people actually throw money at him.

Sonsie

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 128216
In our travels we also have been approached by panhandlers throughout the US. Some really are in need of assistance, some, like James said, just are looking for a quick buck, and people will give $1 here and $1 there.
 If I can, I help out, although not with money.  An example, one day I was approached by a woman who was in desperate need for diapers for her child and wanted some money, I refused to give her money, but said I would be glad to walk in the store with her and purchase diapers for her.  She refused my offer and walked off cussing me out.  Another time a woman approached me and told me she also was desperate and needed some food to feed her children, she didn't know what to do. I again told her that I would not give her money for food, but if she wanted we could go into the store and I would buy some food for her to take to her kids.  It wasn't much, milk, bread, lunch meat, cereal, and a bottle of water.  She was so appreciative.
 So there are some people who really need help and are grateful for someone to give them a hand, plus it makes me feel good too.

isabel

__ From: Paul Smith Sr psmithsr@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:26 AM
 Subject: Re: [LD] Homeless People or are they...???

Since that never happens I try to control myself as best I can.  As a professional once told me, "You are already working at 150% if you can control yourself" so don't try to control others....
 As to the question.  If I feel like giving to someone, I do.  If I don't feel like it, I don't.  In both cases I'm thankful I'm not in their shoes.
Just one major illness could put many people there these days....

best, Paul D Smith Sr

Shayne and I have lived all over the country and traveled interstates east to west and back and north to south and back. We have seen homeless persons or those who claim to be really everywhere and that is not an exaggeration. Yes, the economy is not in the greatest of shape and I truly do feel bad for them, but if I start giving homeless people money on a regular basis.... We will become one of them. Here is an excellent example: We parked at an rv park for 7 months just outside of Roswell, NM while I was employed in the city. At the corner of Pine Lodge Road and North Main Street (Highway 285), we would see the same two "homeless" people every day with two dogs!!!!!! I felt bad for the dogs, not so much them. We saw these more deprived and underprivileged people at truck stops in Wyoming off I-80, Nebraska, Alabama at the Petro I was employed at for 8 months, all over New Mexico. Needles, CA is literally full of them. Sometimes I wonder if the homeless people in Needles equal the number of citizens actually living there. The very moderate climate in Needles attracts them, espcially with I-40 being right there. Can't they get cleaned up, get food stamps, and find some "any ole' job." I do it. Do you think I enjoy waiting tables...??? NO!!!!!!! But I do it because I feel better about myself being employed. I have to remain employed or we will spend what we earned in Pahrump, NV, which is how we intend to purchase our Lazy Daze. It seems that truck stops and Wal-Marts are the "hot-spots" for these people.

Now here is my question...??? Are they all really homeless..?? I wonder...... I think some of them, even more than half, probably so, or even a yes. However, there are some of these persons who play the role and that is their job, their livelihood, if you will.
 There was this gentleman in Albuquerque, NM about 6 or 7 years ago. A local news crew followed and filmed him throughout the day panhandling off from I-25, near or actually on the old Route 66. At the end of the day, they followed him with what I assume was a hidden camera getting into a vehicle and driving into the foothills of the Sandia Mountians!!!!!! True story. They then went to his door and attempted to interview him.
Naturally, he slammed the door shut on them. It would blow his gig if he were recognized in town. My point of this ramble session is, they are not all homeless, just living off from us, and certainly earning more money than a waiter or front desk clerk.

Look, I am going to sign my name: JAMES

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 128217
James wrote: "My question here is, do you Lazy Daze owners or rv'ers, see a lot of "homeless" persons and panhandling in your travels...??? Look, I am going to sign my name: JAMES"
 Not RV related but my step daughter used to see the same homeless person each day as she drove to work. One rainy day she really felt sorry for hime and gave him $2.00. as time went by she would still see him everyday. One day she went to work early and drove into her underground parking where she saw a guy in a BMW convertible standing by the trunk where he was changing into his `homeless clothes' and yes this was the guy she gave two buck to. well she vowed to never give another penny to any one she saw asking from that day on. This guy ruined it for the rest of those who might really need it. personally I do not contribute to them, I would offer to buy them a meal if they asked, but no money!

YMMV Jerry (in Quartzsite) 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 128218
James wrote: "My question here is, do you Lazy Daze owners or rv'ers, see a lot of "homeless" persons and panhandling in your travels...??? Look, I am going to sign my name: JAMES"
 Not RV related but my step daughter used to see the same homeless person each day as she drove to work. One rainy day she really felt sorry for hime and gave him $2.00. as time went by she would still see him everyday. One day she went to work early and drove into her underground parking where she saw a guy in a BMW convertible standing by the trunk where he was changing into his `homeless clothes' and yes this was the guy she gave two buck to. well she vowed to never give another penny to any one she saw asking from that day on. This guy ruined it for the rest of those who might really need it. personally I do not contribute to them, I would offer to buy them a meal if they asked, but no money!

YMMV Jerry (in Quartzsite) 2000 30 IB
well you have it right James or Jerry.... There are no homeless people and they are "all" trying to take our stuff.  Glad you were man enough to realize the whole world is out to get us.  Me, I'm gonna keep giving.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 128220

well you have it right James or Jerry.... There are no homeless people and they are "all" trying to take our stuff. Glad you were man enough to realize the whole world is out to get us. Me, I'm gonna keep giving.
Yeah. Last I heard a number for El Centro, CA where we spend winters: Unemployment was more than 25% - highest in the nation.
 The local food bank made a presentation to our RV Park residents two months ago.
 There are LOTS of people, and CHILDREN, hungry in this country.  And VERY FEW of them are begging in the streets - even in El Centro.  People in our park volunteer to help distribute food to churches and other organizations.
There are lots of volunteers helping to do something positive.
 So if you really want to give money to someone for food, find a local food bank.  They are EVERYWHERE these days.
 Telling stories about how homeless are ripping us off doesn't help solve the real problems much.  In fact, I don't know what, if any, good it actually does.  Perhaps James or Jerry can enlighten us as to the positives.

best, paul

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 128221
no, I never claimed that there were not any homeless persons. I never said that!!!! I am saying that there are some and probably more than you would think that are truly not, but that is their means of living. I may choose to purchase them food, offer to get them a room for the night, pet food, etc.  One guy had a sign that said, "out of gas." I told him, "I'll put some gas in there for you." I didn't go hand him a $20. If I am giving them money, maybe other than pocket change, I want to know where it's going. If it is going for booze, no dice.

james

__

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 128222
James,  I am with you on that plan of action!  I learned my lesson after trying to give one man what he wanted "I am hungry, so is my dog!" was on his sign.  I ran back to this little place I always got food from and bought 3-4 cans of dog food, a can opener, cap to cover can and a large ready to go chicken dinner.  The man was not too appreciative so after that, I was careful not to do anything for them....easier than getting mugged or getting my head yelled off for something they didn't really want.
 But annually, I do give to local food banks via programs wherever there is a sign or stand and someone from a reputable group is gathering food staples that I am sure someone will really use.

Perdy53, (Donna of the Lazy Daizy) 1997 RB 26.5' of Vaughn, WA

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 128223
I am not against any needy persons. As I said, I was in the peace corps and do volunteer at a local food bank.

james

__ From: Donna Gates-Smeall dgsmeall@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:31 PM
 Subject: Re: [LD] Re: Homeless People or are they...???

James, I am with you on that plan of action! I learned my lesson after trying to give one man what he wanted "I am hungry, so is my dog!" was on his sign. I ran back to this little place I always got food from and bought 3-4 cans of dog food, a can opener, cap to cover can and a large ready to go chicken dinner. The man was not too appreciative so after that, I was careful not to do anything for them....easier than getting mugged or getting my head yelled off for something they didn't really want.
 But annually, I do give to local food banks via programs wherever there is a sign or stand and someone from a reputable group is gathering food staples that I am sure someone will really use.

Perdy53, (Donna of the Lazy Daizy) 1997 RB 26.5' of Vaughn, WA

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 128224
And the basis for:
 " I am saying that there are some and probably more than you would think that are truly not (homeless)"

is?

best, paul

Re: Homeless People or ...OFF TOPIC
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 128225

Again, please stay on topic. Mentioning the name Lazy Daze in a post does not accomplish this. Topics of social or political commentary have plenty of forums - and this is not one of them.
 Many folks get their posts via e-mail, and this banter wastes time and eats up monthly data allowances for those who truly are interested in the subject of this group.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 128228
James,
 You and I are likeminded souls--I did 2 years of AmeriCorps, one as a VISTA and the other as a Team member and now I make it a practice to volunteer where there is a need for my type of services as well.

Thanks for all you do!  I do get what you were saying too...

Blessed Travels and perhaps we might meet along life's pathway.

Sincerely, Donna of The Lazy Daizy 1997 RB 26.5'

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 128229
And this discussion has what? now, to do with life with a Lazy Daze RV? We've been hijacked.

Kathy Lautz
1999 MB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 128230
Too funny!...but oh boy does that hurt those who really could use the help.
 I too agree that the established services are the best way to help "homeless" people.
I participated in a County set "homeless" persons count in my area of the world.
I was seriously surprised by the number of individuals who were reluctant to accept help until they were reassured that it was okay to ask for help now and then.  We were able to provide them with necessary items like food, blankets, clothes, hats, coats, shoes, sox, and Health and beauty needs to make life easier.  At day's end, the joy felt at knowing so many were helped made me appreciate what I have.
 Blessings to all who shared on this topic!  I should like to mention that I have hit bottom and known what "homeless" is like at one point in my life so I can "see" through the phony homeless and through to the truly needy.

Donna of the Lazy Daizy

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 128231
Kathy,
 An occasional OFF-topic is harmless.  We do get those here and some of us appreciate the chat and experiences of others.

No hijacking in sight....just a train of thought....LOL.

Blessed be.

Donna of Lazy Daizy

...OFF TOPIC
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 128233
"aq433"  wrote: "Mentioning the name Lazy Daze in a post does not accomplish this. Topics of social or political commentary have plenty of forums - and this is not one of them."
 Thanks, Steve - was wondering what suggestion(s) I could use to get back to things Lazy Daze, and also to suggest just cutting and pasting a relevant subject/topic/sentence rather than including everyone's previous posts again and again!

Grateful Barb and Gypsy 1992-3 TK
1992 22' TK

Re: ...OFF TOPIC
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 128234
Personally, I prefer to keep things on the subject of our RVs.  I don't have bandwidth issues, yet, I still prefer to keep discussions centered on Lazy Daze issues.  I treasure getting up each morning, opening up this group and learning, learning, learning from all of you.

Thanks for all the experience and knowledge that each of you share.

Jules

Bella Bear in sunny Long Beach
'O6 IB Anniversary Model
Sue, My Copilot
Carlie, our canine princess

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 128238
Ok, folks, what do you think - should we capture this thread in an article in the LD Companion?  It has tremendous potential to top the Coffee article.

Just wonderin' Ted H.
@ Malaquite Beach, Padre Island NS, TX

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 128239
"It has tremendous potential to top the Coffee article."

Ted

Ever wonder how the homeless make coffee?

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)