Skip to main content
Topic: Tire Question (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire Question
Yahoo Message Number: 128188
I have learned that the chassis of my 2010 RV is dated 08/09 (Ford E450) on the Ford ID Plate, I believe that means the chassis is late 2008 and early 2009
 I bought it used (I believe it went into service in October 2009). The vehicle had 9,500 miles on it when i bought it last fall and I believe it was stored -- outside, under a shelter -- most of the 13 months prior to the date I purchased it. It was driven very little during that time.
 My question is on the tires, and whether I should consider replacing them. They show little wear and otherwise drive without problem on the road. They do not look as if they have been in the sun, but who knows.
 If the vehicle's tires date from say october 2008, and I am planning to take it up to Nova Scotia, how wise would it be too consider replacing, 6 tires about about 1,700.

Greg

Re: Tire Question
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128192
If the vehicle's tires date from say october 2008, and I am planning to take it up to Nova Scotia, how wise would it be too consider replacing, 6 tires about about 1,700.
For the most part, motorhome tires should be replaced based on age - not remaining tread, which is usually still fine at the age limit. Tires made in 2008 would be at the most 4 years old, which should be fine for another year or two. However, the date code is stamped on the sidewall - check on your brand's website or the DOT website for decoding that info.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128194
"Greg"  wrote: If the vehicle's tires date from say october 2008, and I am planning to take it up to Nova Scotia, how wise would it be too consider replacing, 6 tires about about 1,700.
--- Check the actual date of manufacture on each of the tires; this "DOT code" is found on the tire's sidewall.  For a "light truck" tire (such as are on your LD), the information is a four-digit number stamped in a small rectangle. The first two numbers represent the *week* of manufacture, the second two numbers represent the *year* of manufacture.  For example, "2608" means that the tire was manufactured in the 26th week of 2008.
 It's difficult to say whether these tires should be replaced; in this case, their ages *seem* to be within an acceptable window of lifespan, but you don't know what conditions they've been exposed to, if they've been properly maintained, and/or if they've been underinflated for the load. With RV tires, the appearance of the *tread* is only one factor; it may have plenty of "life" left when the integrity of the *sidewalls* is compromised. If I were in your situation, I'd replace the tires.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128196

I would say you have no worries about the tires. Greg

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128199
Thanks on the DOT code. the tires were made on the 27 week of 2008, so not yet 4 years old. will watch and probably at the end of the year.

Greg