Skip to main content
Topic: Thermal pane window hazing (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Thermal pane window hazing
Yahoo Message Number: 128089
Hi there, In our 03 24'FL, the sliding part of the FL window that faces south when stored has suddenly beome hazy. The fixed part of the window is as clear as ever. I'd appreciate ideas on the cause oof the hazing ( so I can avoid that in the future)  and any info on whether and where I can purchase just the sliding portion of the window as a replacement.
Thanks much to all on this really great forum.
Bill

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Thermal pane window hazing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128090
Bill,
 I would *guess* that you have developed an air leak and now have moisture in between the two layers of glass.  The colder pane of gas has collected the moisture.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128091
Bill, I'm going to guess that the haze is due to a leak in the dual-pane window's seal, allowing moisture to enter between the panes. There are some companies that claim to be able to repair and defog such windows, but I've seen mixed reports about the results. Before you go down that road, I'd suggest calling the Lazy Daze factory and asking what they recommend.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128092
Andy, Your assessment agrees with Alex's and my wife's. I agree it will b best to call Lazy Daze for their recommendation.
Thanks to both of you for quick and helpful responses.
Bill

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128106
Bill -
 Please share what you learn, as well as any solutions you come up with.
 I think 2003 was the first year for the double pane windows, and I expect that many of us (myself included) will be facing similar problems down the road as those windows age.

Rich '03 MB
2003 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 128109
Hi there, In our 03 24'FL, the sliding part of the FL window that faces south when stored has suddenly beome hazy. The fixed part of the window is as clear as ever. I'd appreciate ideas on the cause oof the hazing ( so I can avoid that in the future)  and any info on whether and where I can purchase just the sliding portion of the window as a replacement.
Thanks much to all on this really great forum.
Bill

Call Nagco Glass in Pomona.
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/368518/pomona_ca/nagco_glass.html

Chris

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 128125
Hi Rich, I will try to find out over the next 2 or 3 weeks and will let you know what I find out.
Bill

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM, rsaw

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 128159
Co-moderator Judie found an article that gives more information about fogging in RV dual-pane windows, and talks about one company that repairs these windows:

http://tinyurl.com/6oshjfv

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 128209
Thank you. I called Nagco glass and they do the glass for 2002 and before.
Lazy Daze handles 2003 and later. I read the refurb article, Unfortunately, the company is in Florida and I am in California. I talked to Vince at LD and they don't replace partial wndows, so it would be a full replacement - about $700 for the window and about 3 hours labor. I'll look for a repair location in Southern California, but it's likely, I'll go for a replacement at LD, maybe next year.
Bill