Skip to main content
Topic: Feedback needed on non-use of LD (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Feedback needed on non-use of LD
Yahoo Message Number: 128001
My LD has been in MX for the past 3 years. I use it down here 5-6 months but it only sits -- doesn't get driven.       I run the engine for 1/2 hour once a week and have driven it minimally -- 1/2 hour a year.
 I'm thinking of returning it North, maybe getting a 5'ver or TT for down here with no maintenance: no engine, A/C, gen, solar.
 I don't want to do damage to the engine and don't know what minimal usage is needed to keep things in working order.
 Any thoughts on the direction I should go? For example, how much do I need to drive it to keep it in good working order? (If I store it in SoCal soon, I"ll probably have the same issues there -- it won't be used much if at all.)
 My wife wants to hang on to the LD for future use so we're not selling right now.

HELP!

Re: Feedback needed on non-use of LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 128004
It isn't good to let a vehicle sit for long periods of time, without driving it occasionally. You are asking for problems.
 Running the engine is good but many other moving parts do not get moved. It is important to drive the MH, at least once every two months or so to lubricate the various rubbers seals and parts.
The brake system also need to be used to keep its rubber parts lubed and flexible.
Are you running the generator at all? Is it parked near the ocean?

I agree you should get a better suited RV for parking in Mexico.
If you are not driving it, you have no need for a motor home.
 How many years do you expect do you plan on not driving the LD regularly? I would consider selling the LD, if you plan on letting sit up here for several more years. Put the sale money in the bank to cover the cost of buying late-model, used LD, in the future.
 Let it sit too long and you might be in for a lot of repair work when you want to start using it again. Roof seals, paint, tires, interior fabrics and batteries also deteriorate over time, driven or not, so factor this cost into the calculations, plus depreciation.
I would think you would be money ahead and would save yourself a lot of potential headaches by selling it now and replacing it, if desired, in the future.
 If you keep it, you might look for a storage place that has someone available to drive it occasionally. Covered storage would be best.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Feedback needed on non-use of LD
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 128043
Think I needed someone (Larry) to state what I know.
 So, I"l talk it over with my wife and instead of storing it, drive it home and maintain it properly.    Not really a big deal, should we decide to keep it.

It's had 10 years of being by the ocean -- rust does not sleep.
 And the gen went out couple months ago.    I'll repair that when I return North.

Thanks for the input.

Leland