Skip to main content
Topic: Cedar City/Dixie NF Utah (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Cedar City/Dixie NF Utah
Yahoo Message Number: 127997
We are looking for recommendations re campgrounds/things to do in the Cedar City/Dixie National Forest area of Southern Utah for this summer. Any advice re campgrounds to avoid would be apprecicated also.
 Also, would you recommend or avoid taking our 30' LD (no toad) on some of the Scenic Highwys such as Utah SR 143 (Parowan to Panguitch), SR14 out of Cedar City or SR 12 (Panguitch to Torrey).

Thanks, The Murphys 2005 30'IB - Bruin Blue & Gold

Re: Cedar City/Dixie NF Utah
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127999
Also, would you recommend or avoid taking our 30' LD (no toad) on some of the Scenic Highwys such as Utah SR 143 (Parowan to Panguitch), SR14 out of Cedar City or SR 12 (Panguitch to Torrey).

Thanks, The Murphys 2005 30'IB - Bruin Blue & Gold
I travelled SR143 in late April a couple of years ago and it had some pretty high snow banks but was open.  Should not have any problems in the summer.  SR14-SR12 I towed over last year.  Many grades where you will need to use your gears.  I had no problem but my wife refused to look over the edge in a few places.  You want to visit Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef to name a few.  Suggest the Electric camp in Zion to run the air.  Summers get hot.  Hope this helps.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 128003
While we haven't camped along SR-14, there are many campgrounds along the road as well as several spots for boondocking.  Be sure to visit Cedar Breaks National Monument while there.
 There is absolutely no reason NOT to drive any of the roads you mentioned in your rig.  SR-12, in particular, is one of the most scenic drives we've even driven...and that includes roads in Alaska...and we did it pulling a fifth wheel larger than your 30' LD!  There are two overlooks on SR-12 that are worth stopping at:  Head of Rocks Overlook after leaving Escalante and Homestead Overlook north of Boulder.
 Along SR-12, Red Canyon Campground just east of its junction with US-89 is a scenic place for an overnight stop, or to use as a base for touring Bryce Canyon.  We camped at Singletree Campground on SR-12 south of Torrey and stayed at the Capitol Reef NP campground, Fruita.  Capitol Reef NP is worth at least a couple of days, although there are roads you will not be able to travel without a 4-wheel drive toad.  However, there are a couple of paved scenic drives you can take in your rig:  One goes south from Fruita Campground, the other heads south a few miles east of Fruita...Norton Road Scenic Backway, which is paved for several miles and takes you down the eastern side of the Water Pocket Fold.  Fabulous scenery!  Next to Zion, Capitol Reef is probably our favorite Utah national park!
 East out of Boulder is another paved scenic drive, Burr Trail Scenic Backway.  If you had a toad, I'd recommend continuing east after the pavement ends and heading down the Burr Trail Switchbacks which makes its way down the eastern side of the Water Pocket Fold, but it's not a drive for anything other than an automobile, although it does not require a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 128018
For locating campgrounds you might check The Ultimate US Public Campground Project http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com>  , which will show you all public campgrounds, including Forest Service, BLM, COE, National Parks, state parks and city and county parks. It currently contains over 15,800 entries, with information about each campground.

Ted H.
@ Mustang Island SP, TX
www.wxtoad.com http://www.wxtoad.com>