Skip to main content
Topic: amature photohound in search of camp in eastern NM or west TX (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
amature photohound in search of camp in eastern NM or west TX
Yahoo Message Number: 127978
If all goes as expected this time next week I will be starting out from east of Los Angles for west of Washington DC in a new to me Mid Bath Lazy Daze.  I intend to take a week and a half or so to make the trip.  The first few nights are covered. I will spend as little time in Ca as possible mostly because my day to day driver is a MINI Cooper and I do not want to get used to driving a LD in traffic.  Weather permitting I will mostly take I-40, but if it gets real cold I will take I-10
 The camp in either NM or TX will mostly finish the relaxing part of the journey.  I am looking for some place 400 to 600 miles east of Tucson, AZ (visiting a friend).  The LD does not have insulated tanks, so even though I will be ready for temps in the mid 20s (deg F), I think lower elevations would be wise.  Also if your suggestion will take me down slower highways the 400 mile mark might be more reasonable.
 As stated the LD does not have insulated tanks, does have solar and no back up camera (or spotter in the passenger seat).
The camera gear is a nikon digi slr and collection of lenses from 11mm to 300mm, tripod and release.  I would like to grab some nice shots of landscapes and maybe a critter or two. I figure to spend a day and a half at the site.  Longer stays will have to wait until after I retire.
 Sorry to be so long winded, but you guys have been helpful in the past and no good deed goes unpunished.  I have read the thread about sites in NM, but did not want to hijack that topic with this one.
Thanks in advance, John (still a wantabe)DaCrema
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: amature photohound in search of camp in eastern NM or west TX
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127982
Etdcaw, Thanks very much. Just the kind of thing I want to make a file of.  The wife and I are getting very excited.  Wish she and the dogs could make the trip with me.  That will be next time.
 For all others, I should have included my e-mail address so people can reply off line. I forgot the address got shortened.  I will be traveling the first week of Feb.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127983
Etdcaw, Thanks very much. Just the kind of thing I want to make a file of.  The wife and I are getting very excited.  Wish she and the dogs could make the trip with me.  That will be next time.
 For all others, I should have included my e-mail address so people can reply off line. I forgot the address got shortened.  I will be traveling the first week of Feb.

John johndacrema@...

And it's still shortened, John.  Type @ as at and you should be OK. johndacrema at whatever dot whatever.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127984
Weather permitting I will mostly take I-40, but if it gets real cold I will take I-10

John (still a wantabe)DaCrema
John, how/where will you connect with I-40 since I-10 veers SE at Las Cruces?  If it's cold, you could always pick up I-20 in W Texas.  This will keep you warmer and you'll be farther N as you work east.  You could even take I-20 all the way to I-95 in Florence SC and then head for DC.
 Were I you, I would try to find something with hookups if you stay on I-40.  You can check the weather, but it could be pretty cold at night along I-40.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127985
John, if you're traveling I-40, the nearest NM state parks (from west to east) are Bluewater Lake (7,400'), Manzano Mountains (7,600'), and Santa Rosa Lake (4,800'). At this time of year, I'd avoid the two higher-altitude parks.
 However, Santa Rosa Lake is 560 miles from Tucson, which is a l-o-n-g day's drive! I'd suggest breaking that leg of your trip into two days:
 Day 1: Tucson to Elephant Butte Lake State Park's South Monticello Point campground (just over 300 miles).
 Day 2: Elephant Butte Lake State Park to Santa Rosa Lake State Park (260 miles).
 Both parks offer plenty of water/electric hookup sites at $14 a night, and both have dump stations.
 For more information about these and other NM state parks--including links to current weather information--see my New Mexico State parks Pocket Guide:
 http://www.andybaird.com/nmsp/

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127986
On Jan 23, 2012, at 8:35 PM, chorst_2000 wrote:

Were I you, I would try to find something with hookups if you stay on I-40. You can check the weather, but it could be pretty cold at night along I-40.
John, that's good advice from Chris. All along the I-40 corridor through AZ and NM it will be cold right now. However, there are also some good campgrounds at regular intervals where you'll have electricity.
 One that we almost always stop at going either direction is the USA RV Park in Gallup, NM (http://www.usarvpark.com/), which is an easy day's drive from either Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Others can recommend good places in Albuquerque proper (we don't camp there because it's too close to our home).
 If you're interested in photographing critters, it's hard to find a better place than Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in San Antonio, NM (just south of Socorro and 1.5 hours south of Albuquerque). There's no city scenery in that area (unless you've got a hankering to photograph the world famous Owl Bar), but huge flock of snow geese and sandhill cranes hang out there at least through February. Very close to the refuge is Bosque Birdwatchers RV park, which does have hookups:
 http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-16432987-bosque_bird_watchers_rv_park-i

That park is nothing to write home about as far as scenery goes (especially this time of year), but the birds hanging around nearby are out of this world. It will likely be cold, especially at night, so bring layers of warm clothing.

Have fun on that first MB excursion!

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127988
thanks all. Chris, I looked further into the nightly temps along some locations on I-40 and think I will have to stay further south. High 20s at night could be ok, but I worry about a cold front. Mostly I worry about the water and waist tanks freezing. They do not have insulation or heat strips - I see a copy of Andy's "Eureka2" coming my way soon.  I had wanted to stay far away from Dallas Ft Worth due to traffic.  I think now I will stay more with I-10.  Andy, using your pocket guide, mentioned earlier I thought about Elephant Butte.  I could spend a day and a half there and get my fill of photography.  Then head east along the I 10.  I was thinking of either I-10 or I-40. Not both. Now I believe I will have to stay with the I-10 route if I do not want to camp RV resorts. They are not bad, just looking for wilder while I do photography, after the Mississippi I will be staying at RV resorts (and thanks Joan for the app). I agree that I want to stay

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127989
John, Where east of LA will you be starting?  If you are looking to stay someplace east of Tucson you may want to think about Las Cruces, NM.  There are several RV parks just off I-10 where I have stayed.  And if you do go that way don't miss Mesilla.  The RV parks will have the advantage of hook ups & you will stay warmer without worrying about the tanks.  My first expedition in Circus Wagon was to Carlsbad Caverns where that night is was 17 degrees and the next morning white out conditions that was Christmas week! LOL Don't forget that either road you are going to have elevations up to 7000 feet in some areas.
Hope this helps,

Betty Jean

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 127992
If all goes as expected this time next week I will be starting out from east of Los Angles for west of Washington DC in a new to me Mid Bath Lazy Daze.
John,
 Congrats on your LD purchase. We enjoyed meeting you at the NE LD group GTG in Lancaster last fall (mine was the blue '03 Midbath) and both Gaila and I wish you a fun and safe trip back to the DC area next week.

Pete Call

Re: amateur photohound in search of camp in eastern NM or west TX
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127994
"Keeping the fresh water only half full for the road."

A full tank will take longer to freeze, John.
 But the truth is, I really don't think you're going to have any freezing problems. You won't see consistently below-freezing temperatures on most of your route. And even if your dump valves freeze, it won't matter, because with reasonable care (and or/use of campground bathroom facilities), you can be home before you need to dump.
 With my 2003 midbath, a full freshwater tank will last me more than two weeks, and I can go three weeks before I need to dump the gray and black tanks. No matter what route you take, you'll be in warmer weather long before that. So I just don't think this is something to worry about.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 127996
Shhhhhhh...Now everyone knows who to blame ;~)
 Once I get home, I will request an NELD number. Before that GTG I was sure I wanted a 23 FL.  After the GTG I realized the MB would be a better setup for us, an occasional college student (our daughter), and the dogs.

The wife spent a lot of time

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 128023
Thanks everyone!  of course your comments are more good deeds and I will come back to ask more questions.  To recap full tank of water, southern route. Stop for photos near Elephant Butte (maybe take a day and a half to explore some). Then beat feet east.  Stopping sometimes at Walmarts or Cracker Barrel if a KOA or the like is full (further east).  I think I will take I-10 an maybe visit my Uncle Frank in Gray GA. Then come up I-95 (shudder) for the last leg.  That route will take me around the big cities and give me time to get to know the rig before I introduce it to the family.  Most, but not all, of my cars have had a name, so after we get to know the rig we will come up with one. I will be talking to the NELD group. oh....
and yes I will post a link to the photos and stay in touch.  I feel good about this trip and purchase.  I do have a refundable flight though just in case (part of what I do is  emergency planning for a small part of my org).
Take care, John