Skip to main content
Topic: Spam/hacking (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Spam/hacking
Yahoo Message Number: 127894
pvitkus@aol has been hacked and the account is sending out spam.  Need to change your password.

Re: Spam/hacking
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127895
Why do I need to change my password?

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127896
"Why do I need to change my password?"
 I think he meant pvitkus needs to change his or her password. I've been getting spam from that address for several days now.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127900
I think he meant pvitkus needs to change his or her password. I've been getting spam from that address for several days now.

I recently experienced what I thought was a hacked Yahoo account.  Hopefully no one here has received spam from my email address advertising Rolex watches.
 Spamming, spoofing or hacking that is the question.  I changed my password and deleted all contacts in my address book. Yahoo is my secondary email account. Here is an excerpt from a discussion regarding Yahoo security precautions that may provide some insight.

Spamming Vs. Spoofing – It's not always a hacked account This discussion wouldn't be complete if I didn't at least touch on email spoofing, which looks a lot like a hacked email account, but isn't.  Spoofing is when somebody sends out email and shows your email address as the return address instead of using their own.  The result is that any response to that email, including if it was undeliverable, would come to you and could make you think you were the sender when in reality you weren't. Spoofing is often practiced by spammers as a way of misdirecting anyone trying to find the source of the spam.
 Further recommendations indluded changing your password with some regularity and establish a strong password.

Malcolm
2002 Mid Bath

Re: Spam/hacking => now Spoofing
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127926
Interesting.  I think I may have been victim of this "spoofing" as you call it.
 Since my e-mail address is largely public, is there any way to protect oneself from spoofing?

Thanks,

Steve and Carol Crisp, Germany
 Still looking fondly to returning to Thistle Dew Too and the RV life.
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...