Skip to main content
Topic: Flat towing 2012 Wrangler Unlimited (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Flat towing 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Yahoo Message Number: 127862
I will be purchasing a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited, and have assumed that for even occasional towing, it  would  require the 6 spd.manual transmission, not the 5 spd auto.  As  I reviewed sites that discussed  flat towing, I see that there are  set up instructions for automatics, but not certain  of the yr/model.
 I favor the 5 spd. automatic transmission  if in deed, it is OK to tow flat.  Have any  LD owners had personal experience towing the Wrangler with auto? Comments?  Thanks, Wayne

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Flat towing 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127866
While I think you will be able to flat tow with any Jeep transmission, I always advise one to read the owners manual. That is the only definitive source of information.

PS you may wish to reconsider a new Jeep. It's only going to get pitted from road rocks. Why trash a new one?
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127867
Sure, you can tow a wrangler. Just put the transfer case in neutral, the tranny in park, and go.
Dale.

__

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127868
Have any  LD owners had personal experience towing the Wrangler with auto?

Comments?  Thanks, Wayne
I've been towing a modified 04 Wrangler Sport with automatic transmission for several years and never had a problem.  My Jeep is lifted 5 inches so I got a drop hitch extension and flipped it over so the tow bar is level.  Other than that, the Brake Buddy and tow bar base plate, that's it.
 Here is where you download the dinghy towing guide from Motorhome Magazine.  http://tinyurl.com/7r5madc
 It says towing four down with either manual or automatic is allowed with no speed or distance restrictions.

Dick 05 RK Ridgecrest, CA

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127869
I've been successfully flat towing my TJ Rubicon  auto for 7 years now. Here is the way to do it. Connect your Jeep to the LD with your hitch. Connect safety cables. Shift the transfer case into neutral, put the auto trans into any gear with engine running to verify that the transfer case is actually in neutral. Then shift the auto into park. Turn the ignition key to the first position to unlock the steering wheel lock. Use a cheap blank key copy for this, not one with a transponder in it. This way nobody can start your vehicle even though you leave the key in the ignition. Move your park brake lever to off. And turn the heater position switch to off to prevent  dirt and dust from entering your vehicle. Then connect your auxiliary brake system and verify its operability. Then climb into the LD and verify that all of your signal and brake lights are working and you are ready to go.  Do not tow with the auto trans in neutral and the transfer case in neutral. There have been cases reported where the auto tranny has over heated and caught on fire from parasitic drag or where the transfer case accidentally shifted into gear from shifting cargo while enroute. A transmission is cheaper to replace than a burnt Jeep and LD. Also remember when disconnecting the Jeep at your destination  to set the parking brake before physically disconnecting it from your LD to keep it from rolling away.
    To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:35:24 +0000
 Subject: [LD] Re: Flat towing 2012 Wrangler Unlimited

Have any  LD owners had personal experience towing the Wrangler with auto?

Comments?  Thanks, Wayne
I've been towing a modified 04 Wrangler Sport with automatic transmission for several years and never had a problem. My Jeep is lifted 5 inches so I got a drop hitch extension and flipped it over so the tow bar is level. Other than that, the Brake Buddy and tow bar base plate, that's it.
 Here is where you download the dinghy towing guide from Motorhome Magazine. http://tinyurl.com/7r5madc
 It says towing four down with either manual or automatic is allowed with no speed or distance restrictions.

Dick 05 RK Ridgecrest, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127872
Turn the ignition key to the first position to unlock the steering wheel lock. Use a cheap blank key copy for this, not one with a transponder in it. This way nobody can start your vehicle even though you leave the key in the ignition.
From what I've read online, it appears that the 2012 Wranglers no longer have a steering wheel lock.  No need to leave the key in to unlock the steering wheel.  If this is true, then it makes life even simpler.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 129996
The Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) is heavy - around 4100 pounds before you load it up all the stuff that does not fit in the Lazy Daze.  My mechanic bought a new Unlimited 4 door and towed it with an SOB Ford E450 V10.  He had to disconnect to travel up the Sherwin Grade out of Bishop, CA on US 395 at more than 10 mph.  He sold the Unlimited and bought a used Wrangler TJ (2 door).
 I tow a 1997 Wrangler TJ (2 door) with my 2001 27RB with full Banks up Angeles Crest Highway.  My TJ weighs maybe 600 pounds less than the Unlimited.  When I am going uphill and I pull over in a turnout and come to a complete stop to let faster traffic by, I am a slug getting up to speed again.  Personally, I will not buy a toad that weighs more than my TJ.  If you always drive level or downhill, a toad more than 4,000 pounds might be ok.  If you have a second driver with you (I do not), a heavy toad might be ok so you can disconnect and drive separately on a steep grade or at high altitude.
 As for the hitch rating, the back end of a Lazy Daze beyond the Ford frame consists of two 1" x 4" steel channels.  This supports the  back end of the coach maybe 2 feet behind the rear wheels, the bumper, the trailer hitch, and the tow bar.  Make sure that your tow bar is level or your toad will press down on the hitch or up on the hitch if the braking and acceleration of the RV and toad are not always identical. I had my rear end beefed up with two more 1" x 4" channels.  The "hitchman" smirked at the 4,000 pound Lazy Daze hitch rating.  Doubling the "steel" gave me a rating of 5,000 pound according to the "hitchman".
 By the way, my mechanic was dissappointed with the torque characteristics of the "new" Jeep V6 "mini van" engine as compared to the "old" In-line 6 cylinder of the Wrangler TJ and earlier.  That's his opinion having had both.  YMMV.
 I would think twice, or three times, before proceding with your plan.

Terry Tanner 2001 27RB in Los Angeles
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 130007
Wayne,
 I agree with Terry Tanner that you need to be careful about the weight of a Wrangler. This vehicle comes
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 130008
"But if I was doing it over again I'd probably opt for an economy car of some sort. Andy's Fit or a Mini-Cooper for example."

Terry 2003 26.5'RB Gardnerville, NV
Terry
 I agree with almost your entire post... however, I used to tow a Honda Civic and hardly noticed it was there. But, I ran into some ground clearance issues and decided I needed slightly more room under there. So, I traded up (years & miles) to a Honda CRV. Yes, it has a little more weight but the trade-off in ground clearance made it worth while.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!