Skip to main content
Topic: Concern for road salt on travel from Up-State NY to Fl (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Concern for road salt on travel from Up-State NY to Fl
Yahoo Message Number: 127855
We have a 2003 MB which was a west coast LD until we moved to Upstate NY a few years ago. So far, it has never seen any road salt. We would like to travel to FL in Jan-Feb and will likely find some bad weather and road salt. In NY salting starts early and continues late. Not sure if other states use salt but seem likely the nothern states do.
 We likely can wait-out any storms on the trip but the salt will still be there. Any advice on undercoating or other process--or--don't worry about it.

thanks, Tom

Re: Concern for road salt on travel from Up-State NY to Fl
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127875
We have a 2003 MB which was a west coast LD until we moved to Upstate >NY a few years ago. So far, it has never seen any road salt. We would >like to travel to FL in Jan-Feb and will likely find some bad weather >and road salt. In NY salting starts early and continues late. Not sure >if other states use salt but seem likely the nothern states do.
 We likely can wait-out any storms on the trip but the salt will still be there. Any advice on undercoating or other process--or--don't worry about it. thanks, Tom
Hi Tom,
 We live in NE Ohio and I'm very familiar with road salt. Our area seems to think it helps the economy to use a lot of road salt since they actually mine salt under Lake Erie. The last few years, there has been more use of a brine solution on the roads and they mix things in with that to make it stick to the roads even better. That means more stuff on the bottom of our vehicles and more corrosion. Repair shops see much more things like brake lines rusting out.
 Not much you can do about it if you're going to drive your LD in the winter. I would not waste money on undercoating the rig as it could make a bigger mess under the rig.
 I would suggest that you give the rig a good wash when you get out of the road salt areas and try the best you can to clean the underneath of your rig. I know folks don't like the idea of powerwashing RVs but I think I might use a high pressure spray under the rig.
 Our 2003 rig, which has not been driven in the winter in salt areas, is very clean underneath. Wish I could say the same about our cars.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127877
Yes its worth worrying about, I bought a Class C out of New Hampshire and the rust was a real problem on it. Canada uses oil sprays but I am not familiar with them but wish we had something  similar . I have a 94 Ford pick up and rust has been the only real issue. I have had to replace the shock/coil towers, the "core support around the radiator, had both front and rear brake lines rust through.  The oil pan rusted bad enough it leaked and had to be replaced. Now this truck does have 227k on it and pushed snow early in its life. Also a PA truck and made many trips up and down I81 to New York state. I still use it regularly but it is even showing some rust on its body now.  It is really hard to wash it all off even if you try when you get to Florida the best you can hope for is to drive in heavy rain for a couple of hours, not much fun but flushes everything better than any hose or pressure washer. Don't really have an answer except to wash, wash. wash. Once serious rust starts it is really hard to stop...

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127898
We have a 2002 MB and live in Michigan.  The fear of rust has always been a concern, not only for the Lazy Daze but for our cars as well.  We have driven our LD down to Florida a few times in the winter and also made a few winter camping trips in Michigan.  After returning, I hook up the garden hose (if it's above freezing) and try my best to wash the LD all over.  I know that eventually the rust will win out.  It always does.

Glenn & Joan Lambert 2002 MB Redford, MI
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath