Skip to main content
Topic: Reaching the Pedals (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Reaching the Pedals
Yahoo Message Number: 127655
I'm considering a cross-country purchase of an '01 TK and had a question for the group.  About a year ago I looked at and test drove an '05 or '06 MB.  The seat was a little too high for me and my feet didn't rest on the floor.  I could feel the strain on my lower back as I worked the pedals.  I'm 5'3" with a 30" inseam.  So, now I realize I'd better make sure I can comfortably drive a 2001 E350 before investing time and money in a cross-country flight.  Does LD modify the cabin seats?  Would test driving an 01 E350 van give me a true experience, or does someone here have one in New England I could try?

Thanks, KarenB

Re: Reaching the Pedals
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127657
LD does NOT modify the location of the seat base or mechanism.  The seat itself is aftermarket so the padding may be different.  This year coach does have a 6 way power seat as do the ones you tested previous.  Did you adjust them fully forward and down?  Tim Pease
 Does LD modify the cabin seats?  Would test driving an 01 E350 van give me a true experience, or does someone here have one in New England I could try?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127662
"The seat was a little too high for me and my feet didn't rest on the floor."

Thanks, KarenB
Karen
 I'm going to ask the same question that Tim Pease just asked... Did you adjust the seat on the LD you sat in??? It makes all the difference. If I were to adjust my seat ('04, 30'IB) all the way down and forward I'd be squashed up against the steering wheel with no place to put my legs. ;-)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127670
Karen, I too am 5' 3"  leg is 29 1/2"and my rig is a 2000 RB, the solution is to put a small pillow behing your buttocks, that will push you forward enough to reach the pedals and put your feet on the floor.  At least is works for me.

Betty Jean

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127680
Wow, thanks for all your responses.  The drivers seat was power adjustable, which the seller and I did try adjusting as low as possible.  Simply squishing up to the steering wheel wouldn't really be comfortable (LOL).  Feet really have to be flat on the floor, heels resting on the floor while operating the pedals.  Feeling a little overwhelmed right now at the idea of having to modify the seat or replace the rails.  If one of the simple mods, pillow behind the butt, or heavy-soled shoes helps then I feel like I'll have time to figure out a more permanent solution.  The biggest problem might be the backward tilt of the seat, the raised front preventing me from reaching the floor and cutting off circulation as Don mentioned.  That being said, the pillow pushing me forward would just cause the front edge of the seat to cut of the circulation higher up on the back of the legs.  I do have shoes that have crazy high spring heels in them.  They might be a temporary solution.  (www.zcoil.com)  The devil's in the details and seat comfort is an important one, for safety as well as pleasure.
 Don, I got a chuckle out of your suggestion to start trying out seats in various Class C's with the same chassis.  Just finding them up here in the north east, and then finding them soon enough to not lose out on this sale does seem like an impossible quest.
 Hey, Tim.  Is this something you can quote me on, the replacement of rails or the entire seat?  I really do wish this RV was near by and not on the opposite coast.  Anyone here have an '01 in Mass or NH?

Karen

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127688
Karen,

You might try putting a raised, carpeted box on the floor leaving the seat where it is, then resting your feet on the box.  My wife had to do that in the Beaver Patriot that we used to have.

Glen w/SOB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127689
Wow, thanks for all your responses.  The drivers seat was power adjustable, which the seller and I did try adjusting as low as possible.  Simply squishing up to the steering wheel wouldn't really be comfortable (LOL).  Feet really have to be flat on the floor, heels resting on the floor while operating the pedals.
Karen , the easiest thing you can do is just put a board where your feet will touch.  I tried everything until a former LD owner told me to find a board like she did.  So I found a board that is about 8 inches wide and long enough to fit on the floorboard. I think it is an inch high.  Both my feet are on top of it and it works just fine for my short legs.  Try it 'cause that would be the easiest and cheapest to try.  Good luck!

Judy Wms.
Blue '07 RB  "Dog Daze" White "09 Scion  "Puppy Daze" And all the fur kids

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 127691
The woman I bought my rig from made me a footrest for my 2007 Rear Bath. I'm 5'3" and it really helps me. I'll try to post a picture soon.
 Basically it's 2"x 20"x 11" wood pieces glued and screwed together and covered / stapled/ hot glued with a th

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127694
I just added two pictures of the "LD driver's footrest booster" to the album section of this group.

Andrea

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 127696
Raising the pedals seems like a good idea, it's logical and produces the desired result of being able to reach the gas and brake, but if I can't reach the floor with my heel there's no support on the back of my legs, less leverage for fine control of the gas and brakes, and I think it would kill my back.
 I'm kind of bumming that Lazy Daze doesn't build the drivers seat to adjust a little lower.  We'll see.  Maybe my springy shoes will do the trick, or making some kind of platform....  Maybe a 2x4 affixed where my heels would go, and some padding on the pedals if necessary.  Or maybe lower rails like someone suggested earlier (sorry, I'm not looking at the string right now).
 I really love the responsiveness and knowledge of this group and if I get that TK, I'll be the newbie with a zillion question.  Don't worry, I'll read the Companion and the other how-to guides

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 127705
Judy, Andrea and others suggested putting a board on the floor.  I couldn't picture how it would work, and I didn't realize how high up the pedals are mounted so thought a board would get in the way.  Andrea's picture helped and now I get it.  Another problem solved!  Thank you everyone.  Here's the link to her pic, though she may have already posted it.
photos/album/1550472687/pic/list

KarenB