Skip to main content
Topic: Arizona State Parks Increase in Fees (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Arizona State Parks Increase in Fees
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127630
Thanks for the heads-up. I just responded as we are frequent visitors to Arizona; however, our time will be cut short if they nearly double fees. The state will actually suffer as food, grocery, restaurant, clothing (new and cleaning), gas, maintenance, etc. will all go down as fewer RV'ers spend time in the state.

We were shocked at the dirty rest areas we encountered this past summer and fall as we passed through Arizona. Not sure they appreciate the tourism dollar.

Bob in FL SE 5 30IB

__ From: chorst_2000 chorst_2000@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:08 PM
 Subject: [LD] Arizona State Parks Increase in Fees

http://rvarizona.blogspot.com/2011/12/arizona-state-parks-board-proposes-fee.html
 AZ is recklessly considering increasing state park fees exorbitantly.  If you care to comment, click on the public comments link in the link above before Jan. 13.  I think whoever is in charge has lost his/her mind.

Chris

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127636
"I think whoever is in charge has lost his/her mind."

Chris
 My wife and I are camped in a mostly empty Morro Bay State Park, a park that used to have a much higher occupancy the week after New Years. With the steeply increased fees, it can be cheaper to stay  in a motel,  than what a state park site, with hook ups, cost.
The increase in camping fees have been a disaster for local businesses that cater to tourism, except for private RV parks.
This year in California, 70 state parks are scheduled for closure due to a $22 million cut in funding, a drop in the bucket compared to the billions generated by the parks.
 "A recent survey California State University, Sacramento found that State Park visitors spend an average of $4.32 billion per year in park-related expenditures. " http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26055 "Each year outdoor recreation on California's public lands contributes billions of dollars to the state's economy and hundreds of thousands of jobs, according to a recent report to California State Parks. In 2008 such recreation directly contributed about $21 billion and about 200,000 jobs." http://tinyurl.com/7o5t92c

Looks like the same madness has affected Arizona.
Amazing our elected leaders do not see the economic benefit of public parks, especially in two states that are so well known as tourist destinations.

Stepping off the soap box.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127638
Thanks, Chris! Here's what I posted on their comments page:

The proposed fee increases will make it considerably more expensive to camp in an AZ state park than to camp in a commercial RV park. This will greatly decrease usage of the parks, and will have a major negative impact on local business revenues from tourism.
 Let me give you a concrete example. New Mexico's state park fees are $10 for dry camping and $14 with water/electric hookups, and $0/$4 with a $225 annual Camping Pass. I'm a full-time RVer. Because of these low fees, I've spent most of the past five years in New Mexico. Most of my income has been spent in New Mexico stores.
 New Mexico subsidizes its park system, because it knows (and independent surveys have repeatedly shown) that affordable state parks bring billions of dollars of additional revenue into the state. By contrast, Arizona seems determined to cut its own throat by jacking up fees to levels that will drive away most users... and with them, billions of dollars that would have gone into local economies. I can guarantee one thing: if these rate hikes go into effect, Arizona won't see any of my dollars.

For others who would like to comment, here's a summary of the raised fees (e.g., $50 a night for camping with W/E hookups!):
 http://azstateparks.com/press/2011/PR_12-01-11.html

... and here's where to enter your comments:
 http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ASPFeeChng12

Two important notes:

1) The address Chris mentioned earlier is for an RVing blog. If you post a comment there, state officials almost certainly won't read it. Don't waste your time. The 'surveymonkey.com' address given here is for the *official* comment form. Comments posted there will be presented to the Arizona State Parks Board at their February 2011 meeting. Don't just preach to the choir; put your comments where they will be read by the people in charge.

And 2) the legally required comment period for this proposed change ends on January 13th... so speak now or forever hold your peace.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127640
Andy - you are approaching this with logic, which
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127642
"Andy, you are approaching this with logic..."

Yea, I know... it's a bad habit of mine. ;-)

"...which in turn will require some level of intelligence"

Well, one can always hope... ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127643
I guess I see this differently.  Maybe I've spent spent too much time in and around government agencies, or maybe just too much cynicism on my part.
 Whoever proposed this increase knows exactly what they are doing.  When an agency is faced with budget cuts, they threaten to cut or raise prices on whatever will elicit the most public outcry.  People complain, legislators listen, the threatened cut does not materialize.
 It's sometimes called the Washington Monument Strategy.  When faced with budget cuts, the National Park Service used to threaten to close the Washington Monument.  Just a few months ago, it was suggested that automatic defense budget cuts would mean the elimination of the Blue Angels.  If Amtrak doesn't get the subsidy they want, they threaten to close the most popular east coast commuter routes.
 It's a game of chicken between the agency and politicians, and the general public are being used as pawns.

I prefer not to participate.
 The idea seems ridiculous on it's face because no one ever intends to go through with it.

My 2 cents, from having watched on the inside.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127644
On Jan 5, 2012, at 11:41 AM, rsawin wrote:

I guess I see this differently. Maybe I've spent spent too much time in and around government agencies, or maybe just too much cynicism on my part.

Rich '03 MB in NC
Rich, I've also watched things like this from the inside, as a county commissioner in Illinois for ten years (1992-2002). And I have a different take on it.
 Closing parks for "budget concerns" is a time-tested strategy by those politicians (usually on the far right) who really don't believe that government has any business owning land to start with. They don't care that the vast majority of citizens absolutely love their parks and that the public lands generate far more revenue for local businesses and governments than they cost to operate.
 The ultimate game plan is to close the parks for "lack of funding." Then, once people are accustomed to not having them available to enjoy, the stage is set for selling those "worthless" lands to developers "to get the land back on the tax rolls." Inevitably, those developers turn out to have contributed heavily to the politicians' campaign coffers.
 I fought schemes exactly like this throughout my decade in government, so I do know what I'm talking about. This scenario plays out at predictable intervals at every level where governments own land: federal, state, county, and local.
 It takes diligent effort from citizens who love nature and enjoy open space to assure that our public treasures are protected from those who would trade an irreplaceable inheritance for a bowl of pottage.

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127692
"Closing parks for "budget concerns" is a time-tested strategy by those politicians (usually on the far right)..."

Easy there Martha.
The pots and the kettles are all black. Politicians usually have one thing on their minds...your money for their fiefdoms!