Skip to main content
Topic: LD's still using the flex steel braided valve extenders? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
LD's still using the flex steel braided valve extenders?
Yahoo Message Number: 127599
After 9 years, it appears I have an extender that's coming loose and losing air.     Otherwise, I've had no problems with what I have.
 I considered the rigid extenders and Tireman but went with the flex extenders.

Are they still the way to go?

Re: LD's still using the flex steel braided valve extenders?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127600
"I considered the rigid extenders and Tireman but went with the flex extenders."

This is a good time to rectify that error. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127607
Guess I'm out of touch.     So, I'm guessing rigid extenders requiring removal of the hub, or else a tire pressure sensor.

What kind of extenders?    Inner tire looks like it would take 4''?

Any brands recommended?

I'm

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127608
I had used those SS braided extenders for several years with no problems. They came on the '04 Born Free I kept for 6-years. I also used them on other past coaches. Then one day while considering installing a new set on our new LD, I had put a little stretch stress on the extender and the tire coupling pulled out of the crimped sleeve of the braided hose!!!!  All my old/new braided hoses went into the dumpster-------
 The rigid extenders are the only way to go for extensions. At this point I have no reason to pull the rear tires on my '10RB, but when it is time to replace those tires I will add the extenders. I use the Tire Tracker pressure monitors that advise me of any air loss, however I do not rely on them for exact pressure readings. I still do this with a spring style truck pressure gauge with a straight (in-line) tip. It takes just a moment to remove/replace the SS wheel liner to get my hand to the inside valve. This can easily be done without lifting the wheel well skirt.
 I considered the rigid extenders and Tireman but went with the flex extenders.

Are they still the way to go?

_
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127618
Wow -- missed the numerous threads on valve extenders plus the article!!!!

Call off the search.   Got it handled!

Leland