Skip to main content
Topic: Toilet Ball Valve Leakdown Revisited (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Toilet Ball Valve Leakdown Revisited
Yahoo Message Number: 127564
Some time ago on this board, there was a raging discussion about toilet ball valve leakdown. ie: water would not stay in the bowl and leak past the ball seal in to the tank.  Various methods of fixing this were discussed and most included scrubbing with a brush, rubber gloves and a hand held scrubbing pad etc.  When mine ('02MB) started leaking down, I tried all of these methods and only got an improvement and not a cure.  I finally considered the age of the seal and had the valve and seal replaced.  (about $200) as I recall.  Fixed for a couple of years but soon started leaking down again.  Same scrubbing with the usual limited results.  Not wanting to go the replacement route again I looked for a better way.  I guessed that hard water deposits had something to do with it so I tried the old fashioned vinegar method.  I had about a gallon of white vinegar and poured about a cup and a half in the bowl to soak.  It leaked down and I poured so more in.  I did this over about 10 days and the leakage got much less.  Finally, no leakdown at all.  The bowel will hold a couple of inches of water overnight and seems to be OK now.  Happy New Year to all and I hope to see some of you in Quartzsite.

Re: Toilet Ball Valve Leakdown Revisited
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127565
Roger:
 I find that the white vinegar method works very well. As soon as I see a bit of discoloration on the ball, I add about a quart of vinegar to about a quart of water in the bowl. I leave it sit for as long as I can (works best when we're out all day away from the LD). I might have to dose it once again before I'm satisfied. It pays to be super vigilant and even pro-active when in hard-water areas.

TinaP 2006 MB Fixin' to leave Alpine TX in the a.m. for Stillwell Ranch for a couple of days of sightseeing

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB